Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

born113

One of the Regulars
I'm not talking about full on modern tech wear. I'm talking about things with quite a bit of heritage appeal.

Barbour is quite different from Fjallraven even though both have waxed cotton products. The Beaufort (and Border, its longer version) is one of the most iconic and beloved jacket designs for good reason.

This Buzz Rickson's repro of a classic American design has been a newer fave of mine.
Thanks for the examples. But we all have our stereotypes. It can be called iconic and can be called historically significant things. In addition to the fact that everyone has different interests, it is impossible to cover everything.
Everyone's experience and living conditions are different. Just one example. If I have to choose between only two then I will choose Fjallraven over Barbour for outdoor. Fjallraven has more pockets and looks more comfortable. If I need formal wear I will not choose Barbour under any circumstances. I simply do not have the opportunity to wear such clothes or leather in my business world. But maybe in UK Barbour is acceptable and desirable in all situations.
In general, now I'm only interested in the leather. And my gut is drawn to the German models/styles of the times of the first and second world wars, for some unknown reason.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I need formal wear I will not choose Barbour under any circumstances. I simply do not have the opportunity to wear such clothes or leather in my business world. But maybe in UK Barbour is acceptable and desirable in all situations.

I should certainly hope you're not wearing Fjallraven or leather as formalwear…

Aloysius

If this is sarcasm, resentment or some other emotion, then I will not understand it. English is not my first language.

I am saying that I cannot see why someone would wear Barbour, Fjallraven, or leather as formal wear.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I am saying that I cannot see why someone would wear Barbour, Fjallraven, or leather as formal wear.
Formal wear might be reaching but office wear, why not? :)

7E02E0CE-6F89-4FFA-8B2C-A9744A253FF0.jpeg
3B2495C6-9E0E-41DD-AFBA-7F0E4437E765.jpeg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
My condolences to you.

That still doesn’t make a leather jacket formalwear, though.

I am not saying a leather jacket is formal wear.

I am saying that even though you cannot see why someone would wear leather as formal wear some people do.

Aloysius

I am not saying a leather jacket is formal wear.

I am saying that even though you cannot see why someone would wear leather as formal wear some people do.

I was saying it in reply to someone making the suggestion that Fjallraven was somehow in a different formality tier to Barbour, which does not track.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I think he meant that different places people have different brand/culture associations.
The UK Royal family wears Barbour. To some, it might be more posh than say Fjallraven which has no Swedish royalties attached to it.

But if anyone has a problem about wearing leather jacket for any occasion, take it up with Tony. This is what he has to say:

tsopjaacket-main1.jpg

Aloysius

I think he meant that different places people have different brand/culture associations.
The UK Royal family wears Barbour. To some, it might be more posh than say Fjallraven which has no Swedish royalties attached to it.

They wear Barbour to shoot, farm, hike, garden and the like. (HRH Charles actually wears a heavily-patched John Partridge waxed cotton jacket, incidentally.) No one would say a shooting/field jacket is formal.

Doesn't really track with this odd claim:
If I need formal wear I will not choose Barbour under any circumstances. I simply do not have the opportunity to wear such clothes or leather in my business world. But maybe in UK Barbour is acceptable and desirable in all situations.

I suggested field jackets to him for outdoor wear, not formal wear. And I never claimed field jackets were appropriate or desirable for all situations.

But anyway, this is off topic so let's forget it.

born113

One of the Regulars
I suggested field jackets to him for outdoor wear, not formal wear. And I never claimed field jackets were appropriate or desirable for all situations.

But anyway, this is off topic so let's forget it.
Clarification. I understood you right away. Then the other participants began to discuss something out of context. So I withdrew myself.

Finn Vigorous

One of the Regulars
Elegance/aesthetics in leather jackets is definitely not in the first place for me, since I plan to use leather only for walking.

This is sentence is puzzling. What do you mean by 'walking' in this? Some kind of hiking, ie. 'Wanderung'?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Three part question,

Part A: Is the Ridley same as the Hooche Hauler?
Part B: Is the Ridley same as the premier / STF patterns but with wider shoulder (+1")
Part C: Has anyone ever asked to "Ridley" any of their Aero builds? For example asking to order a size 40 "Ridley" Original Hercules?

Either I started drinking too early or am I onto something here?

Aloysius

Three part question,

Part B: Is the Ridley same as the premier / STF patterns but with wider shoulder (+1")
Part C: Has anyone ever asked to "Ridley" any of their Aero builds? For example asking to order a size 40 "Ridley" Original Hercules?

The Ridley is a cross-zip version of the Board Racer pattern.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
Three part question,

A) essentially they are the same block - the “slimft MC” is essentially the same cut as their j106, HH, Ridley. I think the latter is just what Thurston call it - might be a bit longer in the body than direct from Aero, so best to check. But these are all effectively the same basic pattern.
B) close but not quite I would say - arms are slimmer on the Premier range, but otherwise the body of the latter is more tubular, the Ridley being more tapered. I would say it sits between the Premier fit and the Bootlegger, in terms of how trim and tapered it is. The shoulders are definitely broader than the Premier fit, but not as extreme as the Cafe Racer. I also find this model tends to fit much closer in the back too, avoiding the ballooning effect some Aero patterns have. Hope this helps?
C) i don't think this makes much sense as these are v different jackets so best just to give them your preferred measurements and see how it goes from there. I find this j106 is the best Aero fit all round for me, although most of their other patterns fit me ok, this is the best of the lot - though I still need to trim the body length and sleeve length from the base pattern for my size.

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
Three part question,

A The Houch Haluer and Ridley do fit very similarly.
B NO
C Put the bottle away !

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy