Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

spim

New in Town
Lefty said:
Try searching the words "stretch" or "stretching", as this topic has been well-covered. Here's one thread to get you started. I'm maintaining my position that I'm done stretching, because hats often shrink back down to size. Buy a hat that fits, then stretch it if it shrinks. Buy a hat that's too small, and it will probably always be too small. Others will disagree, but that's how I view it.
Thanks for that info Lefty. I've felt that way all along, nice to have an experts opinion.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Not Me!

Art, feltfan, Dinerman, TonyB and a few others are the ones that I consider experts, based on their handling, modification, and/or manufacture of many, many hats - though I'm sure that all of them would say that there's plenty more that they don't know. My experience is extremely limited by comparison, though I try to supplement it with a lot of reading here.

You'll find plenty of posts by members who love to buy hats one size down and stretch them, including some of those I've mentioned above. There's no right or wrong on this one, it's just preference.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
This eBay-logging-me-out-at-just-the-wrong-moment thing happens way too often to me. I was watching a vintage Dobbs in a nice medium-dark brown that would be a great addition to my collection. I bid with thirty seconds to go, the confirmation of bid screen pops up, I hit confirm... and I am looking at the login screen. I accidentally type my password into the user name field, backspace, type in my user name and then my password, hit enter, three seconds to go, bid, confirm... and I won. Go me.

So, my second Dobbs Fifth Avenue New York in 7 1/4.

DobbsBr.jpg

spim

New in Town
Lefty said:
Art, feltfan, Dinerman, TonyB and a few others are the ones that I consider experts, based on their handling, modification, and/or manufacture of many, many hats - though I'm sure that all of them would say that there's plenty more that they don't know. My experience is extremely limited by comparison, though I try to supplement it with a lot of reading here.

You'll find plenty of posts by members who love to buy hats one size down and stretch them, including some of those I've mentioned above. There's no right or wrong on this one, it's just preference.
You're too modest. lol

I've been reading reading reading! I'm really liking my new hat addiction. :D

Sargon

Familiar Face
The Stetson Centennial was only produced one year to celebrate 100 years in business. This is the only hat I've seen called the Centennial but is this the only time they ever made this particular block/crease?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Stetson Centennial Playboy

Sargon said:
The Stetson Centennial was only produced one year to celebrate 100 years in business. This is the only hat I've seen called the Centennial but is this the only time they ever made this particular block/crease?
Stetsonplayboycentenial.jpg

This came w/ the box noting Stetsons 100 yrs. in business. Nice high 5 1/2" crown & a 2 3/8" brim with the Playboy stitching.

citRon

A-List Customer
Thanks, I justified buying it because I don't have a brown one with a bound edge. ;) I think, however, my wife may not see the logic. :eek:

citRon

A-List Customer
billyspew said:
They never do! I've started to have them delivered at work and then smugling them in we she's not looking.

Ok, good, so then its not just me. You know the number one sign of a 'shopaholic' is hiding purchases from your spouse -that's what the talk shows say anyway. I call it 'keeping the peace'.

carter

I'll Lock Up
citRon said:
Thanks, I justified buying it because I don't have a brown one with a bound edge. ;) I think, however, my wife may not see the logic. :eek:
Boundedge does require some acclimation.

Billy, You may have an opportunity to shift some hats into the house under cover of that massive snowfall you're experiencing.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Ala IndyCop

In the name of marital bliss, you gents might consider purchasing a hat(s) for your wives. [huh]

Mind you, I am not saying that DeeLovely wears hats just to achieve marital bliss. Their entire family wears all sorts of hats.
;) :)

carter said:
In the name of marital bliss, you gents might consider purchasing a hat(s) for your wives. [huh] ;) :)
Won't work here, Carter. Mrs. Dean only wears a hat in the show pen & maybe a ball cap when she mows the lawn on the riding mower. Other than that, hairstyle is non-hat-conducive, so I've been told...:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou