Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Caramel Smoothie, it looks great-- very cool design. It does invoke a bit of the anxiety/confusion I experience when I try and fold my wife's and daughters' laundry-- I can spend hours trying to figure out how all the flaps and pleats go, and still have it inside out when I'm finished.

btw, thanks for the responses re: eBay's global shipping. That does alleviate some of that anxiety.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Received this the other day.

SAM_2531_zps45f798b0.jpg

Steamed back to life, a Champ homburg. Similar in dimensions to my '30s Mallory, but without the reverse taper to the crown. Still not a bad hat.

SAM_2631_zps946fca4c.jpg

SAM_2632_zps6d4a9caf.jpg

SAM_2633_zps99e0f061.jpg

barrowjh

One Too Many
Resistol w/gold 'Byer-Rolnick' crest in liner

Well, this Resistol western was listed in early July, and on July 2nd I asked this question:
Does the sweatband mention any beaver content, such as XXX Beaver?

Less than 10 minutes later the seller answered:
Hi No mention of beaver. Thanks for asking

ok, not willing to spring $65 on a Resistol that might not have any beaver content, even though the hat looked absolutely beautiful. Today, a month and a half later, comes this message:

Hi I just wanted to let you know that on the band inside reads " Beaver One Hundred ". I apologize I was absolutely checking the wrong hat. Thought you might like to know.

Wow, what an easy decision that was!!!!!!

Seems like this year the days have been all stones, and then, a diamond . . .

Maybe my luck will improve (difficult for it to get much worse and still be alive). Looking forward to this hat, big time.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Here it is Folk's

Hello all , I just sniped this hat as people started pushing up the bid in the last few moments ,
with four seconds to go I punched in $53.00 and got it for $25.39 & $6.75 P&H= $32.14
not bad IMHO :cool:.

I think a good brushing and the tea kettle reshape and clean it and that should do it .

I'll post it when it arrives.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181189275936?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

UPDATE Here is that same hat .

I still havent given it the steamkettle /shaping/brushing yet, but just put it on to go to Mass.

I t still look's good though right out of th box and I will post one more after I give it the works.

GREAT snag JB! That should be a nice piece of felt...
Well, this Resistol western was listed in early July, and on July 2nd I asked this question:
Does the sweatband mention any beaver content, such as XXX Beaver?

Less than 10 minutes later the seller answered:
Hi No mention of beaver. Thanks for asking

ok, not willing to spring $65 on a Resistol that might not have any beaver content, even though the hat looked absolutely beautiful. Today, a month and a half later, comes this message:

Hi I just wanted to let you know that on the band inside reads " Beaver One Hundred ". I apologize I was absolutely checking the wrong hat. Thought you might like to know.

Wow, what an easy decision that was!!!!!!

Seems like this year the days have been all stones, and then, a diamond . . .

Maybe my luck will improve (difficult for it to get much worse and still be alive). Looking forward to this hat, big time.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Referring to this Resistol Beaver 100 post #22722 above -

Thanks Bowlerman and Tom. I did some research on Congressman Earle Cabelle TX, and found that he was a congressman from 1965 - 1972, so that is a fairly tight date for the hat. I was a little surprised by that, thought the Byer-Rolnick crest ensured 1950s, but now I see that I am clearly wrong about that. Maybe someone from TX can give us a clear date for when 'Western Week' ceased to be celebrated in Dallas, if before 1972.

So, the downside is the felt will probably have more stiffener than I prefer, the upside is the sweatband is less likely to be dry-rotted, as the hat is probably about 15 years younger than I thought when I jumped on the BIN. I will post somewhere here about the observed quality after I have my hands on it. I will use mineral spirits if needed to take care of any undesirable stiffness in the felt.

Earle Cabell (not that anyone would be interested) was mayor of Dallas when JFK was assassinated and his brother Charles was Deputy Director of the CIA until the Bay of Pigs ended his career. His father was a previous mayor of Dallas, so, the Cabell name had some recognition in Dallas if not all of TX.

fashion frank

One Too Many
The hat looks great on you Frank! Doesn't it feel good when you get a hat for much less than you planned to snipe it for?:cool:

Amen Sister to that and thanks for the kodo's!! :D

Snipeing it in the first place is a rush ,but as you pointed out when you catch them off guard
and slide in a bid at the last
second and they can't trump you fast enough because they run out of time and as you also stated
" dosen't it feel good when you get a hat for much less than you planned on sniping it for " yes indeed it does!

Thanks for the warm wishes .

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Frank, always good to end up paying less than you expected, eh?

I could say that with this Stetson Bantam I grabbed today.

Not one of the very desirable (but oh so rare) 30's versions, but I think it will still be a nice hat and I do like the profile. Come to think of it, I'm sure I've had an eBay search set for Stetson Bantam for over a year and other than the occasional magazine ad for auction, this is about the first I've seen.

bantam-L.jpg

fashion frank

One Too Many
Killer Lid Dude !

Frank, always good to end up paying less than you expected, eh?

I could say that with this Stetson Bantam I grabbed today.

Not one of the very desirable (but oh so rare) 30's versions, but I think it will still be a nice hat and I do like the profile. Come to think of it, I'm sure I've had an eBay search set for Stetson Bantam for over a year and other than the occasional magazine ad for auction, this is about the first I've seen.

bantam-L.jpg

Wow rare or not rare ,I realy like that lid and the profile stance of the hat itself with the high crown ,not to
mention the color .

Great Going DJH !

Frank, Congrats on the arrival of your Champ! Looks great!

David, Fantastic Stetson Bantam! Pristine condition too!

Perry, Super Stetsonian! Really like the color (felt + ribbon)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran