Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Lefty said:
My favorite of the evening is this beautiful Cavanagh in 7 3/8. This one was a deal. :eusa_clap
8bc1_1.JPG
caed_1.JPG

c048_1.JPG
c092_1.JPG

c161_1.JPG

Eagerly (not quite patiently...) awaiting its arrival. Will post pics when it gets here, let you know how it turned out.

As an aside, I find myself with very mixed feelings about the whole eBay thing. Don't get me wrong - I think it's a great asset that lets wonderful items find people who will appreciate them. But the game is so different from a real auction. For some items you can set your reasonable maximum bid at a decent interval before end time, and all get their dibs in and all's fair for buyers and seller. For others, bidders with many hundreds of buys zoom in with (apparently) some automated software and nail it in the last 10 seconds.

I've lost out on any number of items I coveted because I tried to play fair.

I was a sniper on this one. Didn't want to be a sniper, and there weren't any competing snipers in this case, but I'd gotten to the point where I felt that you have to play by barracuda rules if you want to swim with barracudas. It just bothers me.

But as it turned out, this hat seemed to slip in under the radar...

- Bill

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I found that when I did my biding early, I made myself a target. Other bidders would nickel and dime the auction, running up the bid. I snip almost every auction that I am serious about winning. It's one shot only for me, and yes it will be in the last 10 seconds. With only one shot, I truly enter my maximum bid. It's what works for me. Nice hat.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
carouselvic said:
I found that when I did my biding early, I made myself a target. Other bidders would nickel and dime the auction, running up the bid. I snip almost every auction that I am serious about winning. It's one shot only for me, and yes it will be in the last 10 seconds. With only one shot, I truly enter my maximum bid. It's what works for me. Nice hat.

Ditto here, to everything you said. I've gone back and forth, both ways. But now if I really care, I lie low and hope there's not much activity until I'm ready to pounce, whenever there's much at stake. Ditto also about max bid.

I do look at who is bidding. If someone really seems to want something and over a period of time tries to find the price they can afford, and they don't have a huge number of wins, I do allow a decent interval to respond. Mostly. They aren't the problem.

- Bill

P.S. Thanks for the comments Lefty and GTDean - I appreciate the support - yeah, I know it's just how it is and I can play that game and be clever at it, but it sort of runs against the grain.

Woodfluter said:
... but it sort of runs against the grain.
Totally understand. I never snipe, set my max bid, wait until the last time I know I'll be able to make it, let it ride. If I win, it was meant to be & don't get hung up if somebody takes it for $.50 more. Their max was higher than my max & I don't really know where their max is...

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I watched that one and wondered what the reserve was. It's a nice hat, but $75 seemed an awfully high starting price for a smaller size like that.

Brad

Wil Tam

Practically Family
it's not 'wool' either

gtdean48 said:
Good shopping Wil. Love the band on the Trilby...:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks! I ask them if they were sure if it was wool .. & they told me that there were no labels stating it & that it was much softer than any of the other 'wool' hats they had & asked what else could Dobbs have used to make the hat @ that point I pulled the trigger on it

I'm in the process of researching it now to see what I got... whatever it is I think it was a steal.

PICT0036.jpg
PICT0034.jpg
PICT0037.jpg
PICT0031.jpg

any clues?

----------------
Now playing: James Brown - Funky President (People It's Bad)
via FoxyTunes

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cavanagh

gtdean48 said:
Bill, sniping is a reality & not fair or unfair = just is...nice hat!
Bill, I agree with both these statements particular that you got yourself a nice hat. I had a snip programmed bid in for it myself. You were willing to pay more and got the hat congratulations. I look forward to hearing about your Cavanagh

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adkrabbe