Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

The Elizans

Familiar Face
An ebay Victory?

I have mixed thoughts about ebay. with hardly any exception, there has always been some minor 'issue' with all the hats I have bought in this way.

Fortunately, I am a fairly skilled restorer. The hat below (incidentally, the hat I am wearing in my profile pic) was an excellent buy tainted slightly by the fact that when it arrived, the hat was very dirty and had two completely-through the felt moth holes. It was boxed, in its original shop box (Russell & Roberts, Shrewsbury) with a label on top of the box with details written in pencil. The only readable part of the label (arguably the most important part, for me anyway) was the date- 1939.

I stripped this hat entirely, removing the leather band, the grosgrain and the lining. to mend the moth hole I took a sharp razor blade and gently shaved fibres from inside the crown of the hat, making a fluffy fluff(?) the same colour as the hat. using a diluted waterproof wood glue, I began to fill the holes with a thin layer of new felt, building up until the holes were completely filled. The result is a barely noticeable 'patch' that makes the hat strong and wearable. The 'French Gray' (as the paper label under the sweatband states) was rather soiled and a very wet steam prior to refitting the leather and liner did wonders. below are a couple of pictures of the complete restoration. I think I paid £33 GBP which isn't too bad. However, the seller conveniently failed to mention the holes which may have deterred a less experienced collector! Be careful who you trust!

ceres_front.jpg

ceres_inside.jpg

N.B. if you buy a hat that is too small, you can stretch a hat by up to a couple of sizes using a milliners’ hat stretcher. I would not advise a cheap ‘hat-jack’- these have a tendency to resize the aperture of the hat, but due to their shape cannot stretch the crown along with it.

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
The Elizans said:
..... using a diluted waterproof wood glue, I began to fill the holes with a thin layer of new felt, building up until the holes were completely filled. The result is a barely noticeable 'patch' that makes the hat strong and wearable.....

Most impressive. The ability to do a quality repair on moth holes opens the field to a number of otherwise rejects.

Do you mind sharing the type of glue you find works the best? Casein (milk) glue? Poly-vinyl acetate (Titebond)? Urea formaldehyde? Those and old-fashioned rabbit skin or hide glue are the only ones I can think of that can be diluted easily. And the others like cyanoacrylate would set up quite hard.

Thanks.

The Elizans

Familiar Face
Glue type

Hi Bob,

Firstly, the repair is ‘hard’- flexible, but not 'soft'. At the present time, this was the best thing I could think of. The repairs were small and one was almost hidden by the grosgrain band.

The glue I used was Cascamite (that is a trade name, google that for info).

It is nice to be able to revive hats that would otherwise be rendered useless for wearing. I don't think a hat that has a hole in the 'pinch' (notoriously susceptible to wearing through as I'm sure you are aware) could be mended in this way- it would be too visible. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Best Wishes.

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
The Elizans said:
Let me know if you have any ideas.

325375907.jpg

Cascamite is a urea formaldehyde glue identical to our DAP and Weldwood brands of "plastic resin" glue like on the left side of my photo. Ace Hardware and boatbuilder suppliers like Jamestown Distributors in Rhode Island or Fisheries Supply in Seattle carry it.

As it's a light brown powder mixed with water, I think you made a good choice as it can be diluted down to a light "sizing" suitable for medium and dark colored felts. For light colored felts I think a casein glue like Elmer's white glue would also work.

I'll have to give them a try using different strengths on an old hat, thanks.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
An interesting old Knox

I gave this one a shot out of pure curiousity. Apparently one other person was a tad more curious than I! :)

Photos from the auction:

black_hat_5.jpg

black_hat_3.jpg

black_hat_6.jpg

black_hat_4.jpg

It was described as having a hard shell.

Cheers,
Tom

citRon

A-List Customer
Tango Yankee said:
I gave this one a shot out of pure curiousity. Apparently one other person was a tad more curious than I! :)

Photos from the auction:

black_hat_5.jpg

black_hat_3.jpg

black_hat_6.jpg

black_hat_4.jpg

It was described as having a hard shell.

Cheers,
Tom

-Looks like a casket for a 'head only' burial!

D

demian

Lefty said:

YOWZA!! Well done on that. Great hat.

The new Optimos are nice, but they don't compare to the vintage Borsalino I have.

This is actually the first time I've clicked on this thread.

holy smokes! it seems if I bombed this forum I would have the pick of any hat I wanted! LOL

It is like the fedora stock exchange in here! (laugh)

PS: @TangoYankee....That hat REALLY scares me. I never thought I would be frightened of a hat!

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Cavanagh arrived

jonbuilder said:
Bill, I agree with both these statements particular that you got yourself a nice hat. I had a snip programmed bid in for it myself. You were willing to pay more and got the hat congratulations. I look forward to hearing about your Cavanagh

Well, I'm glad I got it but if I'd lost, would have been happy to hear it went to a lounger!

Cavanagh came yesterday. I'm super pleased. Excellent condition, sweatband supple, two tiny and repairable moth divots in front brim, lining almost pristine. Will be very happy for any help with guessing the approx. date!

Maybe the typeface might give a clue as to age? The store (Bullock & Jones, S.F.) has been around since 1853 so no help there. Other details: Cavanagh edge, ribbon 2-1/8", sweatband 2", crown 5.5" creased, 6" open, straighter block than frontal picture suggests, Wall St. model, $25. Deliberate frayed ends to ribbon. No oilskin or plastic over liner.

Any ideas?

- Bill

Jabos

A-List Customer
I lost my head . . .

and bought this Worth and Worth on Friday night. I have just been watching and learning but thought I'd try for this one for no more than thirty. I lost my head, and when the dust settled I had to turn around and tell my wife I just bought a hat for $50. Now, it probably is a dog and I'll have learned my lesson not to purchase unless there are better pics.

8ffa_1.jpg
8ea9_1.jpg
[/IMG]

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Woodfluter said:
Maybe the typeface might give a clue as to age? The store (Bullock & Jones, S.F.) has been around since 1853 so no help there. Other details: Cavanagh edge, ribbon 2-1/8", sweatband 2", crown 5.5" creased, 6" open, straighter block than frontal picture suggests, Wall St. model, $25. Deliberate frayed ends to ribbon. No oilskin or plastic over liner.

Any ideas?

- Bill

Cavanaghs are notoriously hard to date due to the fact that they didn't change. Well, there are a couple of variations in the liners, but I have no way to determine yet if that will help with a date.

However, that's a beautiful Cavanagh, and one of the taller ones I've seen. Is the ribbon really 2 1/8"? Looks like the brim is at least 2 1/2" then.
I'm going to hazard a guess at 1944-1950, just based on the price, but that's only a guess.

Looks great on you!

Brad

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Brad Bowers said:
Cavanaghs are notoriously hard to date due to the fact that they didn't change. Well, there are a couple of variations in the liners, but I have no way to determine yet if that will help with a date.

However, that's a beautiful Cavanagh, and one of the taller ones I've seen. Is the ribbon really 2 1/8"? Looks like the brim is at least 2 1/2" then.
I'm going to hazard a guess at 1944-1950, just based on the price, but that's only a guess.

Looks great on you!

Brad

Thank you Brad, I really love this hat! I got lucky.

Yes, the ribbon measures 2-1/8" (does seem odd) and the brim is exactly at 2-1/2" - you have good eyes for proportion. Center dent doesn't look like it was ever made into anything else. The felt feels quite substantial, and slightly firmer than some very fine vintage hats I've seen but...not sure how to explain this...it really doesn't seem like stiffener, more like the quality of the felt itself. But not heavy - weight in size 7-3/8 is 146 gm or 5.15 oz.

I was (wildly) guesstimating 40's to early 50's myself. I didn't know that Cavanaghs didn't change so much - wondering if that applies to labels, logos and such or to styles also? Were they late to switch block types, brim widths, sweatband width/color, all that? Still researching myself.

- Bill

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
Woodfluter said:
Well, I'm glad I got it but if I'd lost, would have been happy to hear it went to a lounger!

Cavanagh came yesterday. I'm super pleased. Excellent condition, sweatband supple, two tiny and repairable moth divots in front brim, lining almost pristine. Will be very happy for any help with guessing the approx. date!

Maybe the typeface might give a clue as to age? The store (Bullock & Jones, S.F.) has been around since 1853 so no help there.
- Bill

WF,

I have seen many different photos of you with many different hats. This, by far, looks the best on you. Don't ever sell that one.....it looks GREAT on you.

Congrats on an excellent buy.

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
Jabos said:
and bought this Worth and Worth on Friday night. I have just been watching and learning but thought I'd try for this one for no more than thirty. I lost my head, and when the dust settled I had to turn around and tell my wife I just bought a hat for $50. Now, it probably is a dog and I'll have learned my lesson not to purchase unless there are better pics.

8ffa_1.jpg
8ea9_1.jpg
[/IMG]

Doesn't look bad......you may be pleasantly surprised.

But what's this about telling the wife how much you paid for a hat? Isn't that against the FL rules? :eusa_doh: Anyone? lol

BTW......diggin' your Avatar......bringin' the kid up right, eh?

Welcome to the Lounge.

Alchemy5150

New in Town
Woodfluter said:

Any ideas?

- Bill

No idea on the age, but still a very nice find, my friend!!!

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jabos said:

8ffa_1.jpg
8ea9_1.jpg
[/IMG]

Your hat should be fine. I saw a totally beat up W&W hat in a second hand shop and it looked great. Just needed some TLC. Your lid looks to be in much better shape.

Jabos

A-List Customer
Carlisle-thanks for the advice. I'll post pics. Seller said it was like new but I fear it will be mothy and require a reblock and cleaning. I just want to throw it on and go. I didn't see much about Worth & Worth on the FL so I didn't know if it was some cheap brand or not. Guess I just felt guilty of not doing my research before hitting the purchase button!!

HatDoc-Well, my wife was in the room and keeps a suspicious eye on me when I'm on Ebay. She caught my surprised look and knew. She is pretty good about my addictions, including trumpets, WW2 memorabilia, etc. She is a bit surprised about this new one, but I think she will be on board-she is a really good girl. Does it cross the line from a habit to an addiction when you hide the new hat purchases? ha. "Hello Fedora Lounge. I am a hatoholoic."

Yes, I am guilty of trying to foster an interest in my WW2 addiction with my little guy. I grew up just fascinated by my grandfather's stories and hope to keep it in the family!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy