Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I won this hat. Ole sent me a heads up on it but I had already been watching it. The bidding really only went up to about 40 bucks but the seller set it so that if someone bids at least $150 that the bidding would go to that. I knew that this is the way she does her auctions so I put that in my sniping app:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNAZZY-20-3...EyhOd8btSQUVrTIk3LlvI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I was able to win this 20s cloche for 30 bucks. I was so shocked and elated at the same time!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920s-Vinta...EyhOd8btSQUVrTIk3LlvI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

This 20s cloche has the label "Blue Mound. I have 1 or 2 hats with this label. Got it for $83 which is good for a 20s hat. I think that anytime you can score a 20s or 30s hat for under $150 it's a steal....at least on the women's side:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wool-Felt-D...EyhOd8btSQUVrTIk3LlvI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Does anyone have experience with these hats or the seller of them?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAVANA-FEDO...-/380883126633?pt=US_Hats&hash=item58ae674969

Also, if anyone knows about panama hats, is there a way to snap that brim upwards in the back? I have no experience with panama hats, and don't know if their brims perform the same way as that of a felt.

There is quite a lot of straw hat knowledge stored on the Fedora Lounge... this would probably be the first thread to peruse.

Contemporary woven hats and their resellers tend to have their supporters and detractors. I've never bought from them, but I expect this vendor is no exception. Most straw hats can be shaped using steam. The hat you've linked to is very coarsely woven but I would still think that the brim can be conformed to a traditional fedora flange, if it does not arrive like that already.

I do think with a little looking, you can get a more finely woven and more interesting hat on the vintage market for about the same cost.

Mr.Astor

Banned
It's coming, lol!!!

I am also waiting to see your history of hats! Thanks CS! Let all of us know when it is available. Great to see you over here, In spite of all the controversy in the last 3 day's,you bring a positive attitude to the hat forum you will be alway's welcome your knowledge of a specific era and history is invaluable! Grazi!

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I do think with a little looking, you can get a more finely woven and more interesting hat on the vintage market for about the same cost.
I'd certainly consider a nicer hat for the same price, if it has good ventilation. The problem is that I'm not finding many panamas whatsoever with ventilation. The hat I'm asking about is the nicest one I'm seeing in my search results on the 'bay.

A while back there were some very nice semi-calado straws posted that had been blocked and sold by Art Fawcett. You might contact him to check if any bodies remain available.

I haven't had much experience personally with ventilated weaves. I find the fit of the sweatband and the weight of the hat to also be factors in overall comfort in the heat. Good luck with your search!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sunk one from the 3 point zone!

Took a chance & submitted a muy low-ball offer on this, not expecting to get it & the seller, in The Czech Republic, accepted!
I was a bit anxious about what it might be, reasonably certain it wasn't a "Stenson" as stated in the auction.

Got it here yesterday & realized the seller was perhaps hobbled by the language divide, either that or she had no clue as to what she has, or both.

It is wafer thin, light, well made as any similar Borso from the same postwar (?) period, she was conservative, if anything, in her estimation of the circumference, it is an easy 60 in very nice condition!

I hit it wit' a little steam & it became clay in my hands. A 3" brim & probably a 6"+ open crown, the teardrop in the crown has to be every bit of an inch deep!

There is NO liner, NO embossment in the leather, NO indication as to who, what, when, where of this one.
A t-total mystery, but a hella piece of felt. :D

Last edited:
Congrats! It looks like it had a tip patch. Sometimes even with the tip patch and paper label it's hard to know the source (no company info). My guess is the maker / company was from what is the Czech Republic today. Do you have a photo of the sweat bow? Also anything on the back of the sweatband?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congrats! It looks like it had a tip patch. Sometimes even with the tip patch and paper label it's hard to know the source (no company info). My guess is the maker / company was from what is the Czech Republic today. Do you have a photo of the sweat bow? Also anything on the back of the sweatband?

Thanks MW, MoK, a very nice surprise indeed.
Although, not a thing behind the sweat ...

& this is as close to an image of the bow as I now have.

I suspect you are spot on as to the provenance, care to take a stab at the age?
When was mercury banned behind the "Iron Curtain"? Ever?
Gotta say; when I compare the hand & suchlike to my pre-war Borsalinos -it's a toss-up as to which is the superior product, imo.

Last edited:

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I am also waiting to see your history of hats! Thanks CS! Let all of us know when it is available. Great to see you over here, In spite of all the controversy in the last 3 day's,you bring a positive attitude to the hat forum you will be alway's welcome your knowledge of a specific era and history is invaluable! Grazi!

Aww, thanks! *blushing*

Thanks MW, MoK, a very nice surprise indeed.
Although, not a thing behind the sweat ...

& this is as close to an image of the bow as I now have.

I suspect you are spot on as to the provenance, care to take a stab at the age?
When was mercury banned behind the "Iron Curtain"? Ever?
Gotta say; when I compare the hand & suchlike to my pre-war Borsalinos -it's a toss-up as to which is the superior product, imo.

It looks like everything is original. I am not sure about the dating. It could be just after WWII or it could be earlier. If it was made after WWII it would be a TONAK but that doesn't mean it was made at the JHS factory (all Czech hat companies that survived WWII were nationalized under the TONAK name). The big names prior to WWII were J. Hückel´s Söhne (JHS), A. Peschel, Brüder Böhm but there were many less known companies.

From what I have read the Austrians companies (prior to WWI this was Austria and most the hat companies were Austrian / German) were at the forefront regarding the elimination of mercury. IMO JHS and Peschel were right up there with the top Italian companies. Actually better when it came to specialized finishes like Velour and Chamois.

If you get a chance please take additional photos.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy