Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Nice Stetson Select derby in 7 3/8
9614A.jpg

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:

Got the FedEx tracking number on this one today! Not that I really needed another Champ Featherweight; I thought I'd be outbid like I've been on most things recently. :D I just hope they do a better job delivering it to me then they have past shipments... :rage:

Cheers,
Tom

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
I couldn't resist this one for the wife, as nobody else seemed to want it for $10.50 plus postage.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=170293509388

A modern Resistol Beaver 100 Open Road style in Size 6 7/8 in new condition. A 2 3/4" brim and 4 7/8" crown. I steamed and stretched it to Size 7 for her. Now along with the high-end vintage Cavanaghs one of the best hats in our house. A buttery, dense yet lightweight felt nice to touch.

354625868.jpg

354625900.jpg

354625932.jpg

354625960.jpg

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
Very nice! I see that the seller had no feedback, so I wish you luck. :)

Thanks! I thought it was worth a chance. Everyone who sells on ebay has to start somewhere, and that hat looks sweet. The fact that I received a FedEx tracking number (which shows me that package is already in the system and enroute) sure upped my confidence!

Cheers,
Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Bob Smalser said:
I couldn't resist this one for the wife, as nobody else seemed to want it for $10.50 plus postage.

That's one nice hat! My own wife tends to take my hats to wear from time to time, though I've bought her a few of her own.

Regards,
Tom

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lefty said:
Fancy Stetson box. I got one of these with my 7x, and it seems that they sometimes came with the 100 - probably when Stetson stopped giving away those leatherette cases.
9572_1.JPG
6087_1.JPG
Lefty, I was just going to post this link to see if anyone here nabbed it, sweet deal to whomever.

Bob Smalser, that's a beautiful find, how in the heck did I miss out on that one? :eusa_doh:

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
bolthead said:
Bob Smalser, that's a beautiful find, how in the heck did I miss out on that one? :eusa_doh:

My stars were aligned for once.

1) Few look at 6 7/8's at all, and I happened to be searching for a Valentine's gift for Betty, who wears a Size 7.

2) The seller thought Beaver 100 was the style of the hat, and you had to read his text twice to sort it out.

3) The seller listed it under Western Hats only.

4) Who'd entrust someone self-named Kungfoobugaboo with only 21 transactions with any real money? As it was I had to coach him how to box and mail it and also had to track it down, as it took over three weeks to get here.

5) Resistols seem to go dirt cheap compared to Stetsons. Why I don't have a clue, but I'm buying before too many others figure that out.

Don't feel bad......I could have just as easily paid a hundred bucks and got burned, eh? ;)

nickn5

One of the Regulars
Some nice wins recently, well done all.

I'm (sadly) not able to 'Ebay' hats from USA for the time being (which is where most of them are) as the last FOUR purchases I made have been hit with £22 ($30) tax EACH by HM Customs. Makes what might have been a good deal turn a bit sour... :rage:

The only way I can avoid the above is to only bid up to $30 on any hat... as that's the value threshold above which tax is applied. :eusa_doh:

N. :)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
nickn5 said:
Some nice wins recently, well done all.

I'm (sadly) not able to 'Ebay' hats from USA for the time being (which is where most of them are) as the last FOUR purchases I made have been hit with £22 ($30) tax EACH by HM Customs. Makes what might have been a good deal turn a bit sour... :rage:

The only way I can avoid the above is to only bid up to $30 on any hat... as that's the value threshold above which tax is applied. :eusa_doh:

N. :)

What a second hand hat is taxed? I have bought heaps of stuff on eBay and all they get is a spray/disinfectant that then requires a dry clean!:rage: :rage: :eek:

nickn5

One of the Regulars
Even for a gift it's not exempt:

Any goods imported into the UK over the value of £18 are liable to import VAT; gifts between private individuals over the value of £36 are also liable for VAT. Any package assessed by HM Revenue and Customs as being liable for Customs charges will also incur a Royal Mail handling fee of £8.

So for a typical Ebay purchase of $60-$100 (£50-£80) as mine have been, it's about £14 VAT and £8 Handling Fee. Gets very frustrating (as I'm sure billyspew will agree!) :mad:

N.

P.S The only answer is to buy hats with a 'value' of less than $40... hehe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy