Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I would just enjoy the show and feel fortunate, I didn't even have to pay for a seat. With regard to responding, I would probably first paint a door and write a novel on the drying process :D

fedoracentric

Banned
Here is a question that I hadn't thought of before, though. Seems to me that the process of removing the hair from the pelts destroys the hides anyway, doesn't it? I mean, could they go ahead and tan the beaver hides after taking the hair off? And does beaver hide give a stiff enough leather to make sweatbands, anyway? These questions I don't know the answers to.

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
A lot ebay hat sellers are estate seller with no ideal of the history of the hats other than who wants them and how much they will pay. They look a hat maker see what it listing for and THINK it will sell for the same.. Really no clue. Some times you can find a listing by some one who has under value as fur felt hat and think it just normal felt. I like those who their hats and price fair but you going to get those who just want profits and don't care about the history of a hat or how it is made..
They do find their buyers.
I say the people buying do take the time to learn they get what buy..
Searching out hat maker and seeing what it is made with isn't going to take you that long these days really.
I look up what have on watch list ..
I want to know it's value before I bid.. Can't win if you can't out think the other guy bidding..
Watching the hats types like the Fedoras start off low and in the last seconds shoot up is crazy.
Watching the "Buy now" sit for a long time with pricing over $100 or more it make you wonder if any of them sell.
I watched and made bids on 3 hats before i got the three I won.. they started low and i made it but there was a lot of people watching on one Dobb'd i know that were not happy i beat them. I know one guy list hats to sell if they don't he will rotate them out for other hats(got the Dobb's from him) watching him all he sells is hats. All with in the same starting range mid $20's up . He does some great write up on the hats to sell them too. At lease i never seen him list Beaver skin hat lol ..So far..

Landman

One Too Many
Searching for a particular hat on EBay has become more and more challenging because sellers will list a hat using all the key words they can think of (Stratoliner, Whippet, Open Road, Stetson, Borsalino, Pharrell, etc.) in one listing. There is one particular seller whose entire listings come up on almost any search. I find that very annoying and don't even bother to look at his listings anymore because of the prices.

Asmo

One of the Regulars
You mean there's no such thing as a Dobbs Stetson Stratoliner Mad Men?
Man, I got hosed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mystic

Practically Family
As for me; searching ebay for hats has lost a lot of enjoyment and anticipation because of the number of over priced hats, lack of selection in my size (mostly stingy brims) and receiving far to many hats that don't fit.

It's more like an old habit now. shakeshead

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The problem is that a lot of those overpriced hats are being sold!! I am amazed at hats going for 300+ all of the time . You never saw this five years ago.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
When I look at the prices in the very few hat stores in Copenhagen, I wonder how they manage to stay open, selling only overpriced modern factory hats. To me that seems weird, when eBay are packed with hats of much higher quality at the same prices - $100 to $400

John Galt

Vendor
When I look at the prices in the very few hat stores in Copenhagen, I wonder how they manage to stay open, selling only overpriced modern factory hats. To me that seems weird, when eBay are packed with hats of much higher quality at the same prices - $100 to $400

+1

Lotsahats

One Too Many

I picked up a beautiful Dobbs 20 off OFAS a few weeks back; a Louisiana Planter, the hat dates from the mid-50s, and it sports a 3" brim with a Cavanagh edge. I was the only bidder, and the hat cost me $250. Maybe it was a bit steep, but I don't really think so, precisely because of your point, Ole: a "nice" modern hat would set me back nearly as much, if not more, and I'd get far less quality, craftsmanship, and history.

A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart