Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AlanC, Mar 24, 2008.

1. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

If it's a 7 Point that would 61cm. I have come across a good number of vintage German Market Borsalinos sweat paper label 6 1/2 Point but I don't remember any 7 Point. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!. :)

2. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

Anything can happen, but the odds would lean my bet toward the smaller size. You MUST report back!

3. carouselvic

carouselvic I'll Lock Up

I'd lean to it being a Punti 7(7-5/8th US) if it's made for the french market.

4. alanfgag

alanfgag

OK... now I'm on the fence.

:fencing:

5. Horace Debussy Jones

Horace Debussy Jones A-List Customer

Yep. Those are the dopes that will get blocked immediately. Whoever said that "The customer is always right" was completely delusional. :lol:

6. alanfgag

alanfgag

I have noticed some ebay sellers adding similar concerns to each of their auctions:

Note: the postage calculator is probably wrong. Shipping in the US is probably closer to $13 or $14 bucks with insurance and tracking. So, if you win, please wait until I send you an invoice with correct shipping. Thanks and good luck bidders.Also, with the new ebay overseas shipping system, I will no longer sell overseas.

7. Horace Debussy Jones

Horace Debussy Jones A-List Customer

So I've got until November 18th to sell off any and all collectables and vintage hats, etc. that I may find. Great. :mad: After that, expect to pay higher and higher prices for anything you might want to buy, and expect to see fewer and fewer unique antique or vintage items. Looks like Greedbay is going to turn into nothing more than a bloated online K-Mart offering nothing but over-priced junk from China. As they are a virtual monopoly, they will probably get away with it.

8. carouselvic

carouselvic I'll Lock Up

I sure don't have to be right on this. Here is where photos of the sweatband logos, both retailers and Borsalino, can help in determining what is meant by a size tag.

9. alanfgag

alanfgag

Just poking you. :)

10. CaramelSmoothie

CaramelSmoothie Practically Family

I was always under the impression that "W.I." stood for "West Indies" ( I know it's Wisconsin when it's "WI"). I won this hat from an overseas seller and I am still waiting on it, but the milliner's address is on the tag and it indicated it is located at 19 Berkeley Street W.I., but it comes up as Berkeley Road in the UK on Google Maps. Here is the auction and you can see the tag in one of the pics. It's a nice beaver felt.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161430133743?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

11. alanfgag

alanfgag

It's London, W1 - a postal code.

12. CaramelSmoothie

CaramelSmoothie Practically Family

Thanks! I was so confused! lol I obviously read it wrong and mistook the "1" for an "I".

13. ManofKent

ManofKent My Mail is Forwarded Here

Yes definitely Westminster :)

14. ccorsair

ccorsair One of the Regulars

Today an Item I got from a Vender on ebay came he did as he said for the price of a lower item he upgraded me to the better drive that would much more (44 vs the higher price$78) I was very happy with this and it not the norm for many seller on ebay to upgrade your items. I did note one hat seller refunded me some of my shipping cost as I know i has $11.70 when i got it and when look at may list pass buys it not show s$5.30 and it was him not ebay that did the fee refund as it shows in the paypal transactions when looked at it.
    Ebay need to fix the issues by letting seller look at the shipping options per item and when it is going some are cheaper some are just way over. the issue with hats it think is the size of the box.. the US post office has a size stander and pricing but there is new trend to flat rate on all carriers to get more people to use them. IE pricing is changing and could get cheaper.
    Ebay need to update the shipping calculator and pricing . but that is hard with some many switching out shipping cost and sizing standers. the hats we have are not always going to fit the stander shipping size..

15. mactire

mactire New in Town

Could etsy take off so for smaller sellers?

16. Joao Encarnado

Joao Encarnado I'll Lock Up

That will knock me off US ebay...

17. fedoracentric

fedoracentric Banned

Sadly, that will be true if many folks in the states decide to stop selling overseas. but you can blame ebay for it.

18. Joao Encarnado

Joao Encarnado I'll Lock Up

Maybe. Ebay's GSP have been working for me. Same cost as normal package (USPS), cheaper import taxes and is takes less than 15 days.
    This is the tracking info from the last hat I bought from the bay. More than a month.
    [​IMG]

19. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine My Mail is Forwarded Here

:arated:
    :arated:

20. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine My Mail is Forwarded Here

it

Turns out to be FF after all, very much a campaign type hat.
    It occurred to me that if it once had a pug, it would've obscured the lowest vent grommet, eh?
    I wonder if it once had a liner like the "vented" BR safari/bushman?