Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

fedoracentric

Banned
Thus the question. Not sure.

Ah, gotcha.

I'd say it is OK considering that you'll have to pay someone to put in a new sweatband. But once that is done you are adding up to $40 in your price (depending on where and how you get that new sweatband into the hat). So, you are talking with the repairs and the shipping somewhere around a $100 hat. And for a common Stetson Royal from the late 50s/early 60s, I'd say that is close to too much and it would be too much at a smaller size. But, at a size 7-5/8 it is probably not the worst investment in the world even with all the repairs that need to be done.

So, I'd say it wasn't a fantastic deal, but not a bad one, either. It could be a good deal if you can do all the renovation work yourself, though, and save the shipping and repair work it would cost to send out for the repairs.

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
I always look at size and damage that needs to be fix or if it something I can live with or fix with out large amount spent. Over all the hat is nice but that sweat ban would have been a pass next to it being a size i would buy. the one Stetson i have that needs to be shaped and stiffen needs the liner tacked by in. I can pay for it getting cleaned and shaped and all but they can't do the liner and the cleaning and shaping has to be done after the liner is fix they say. it will cost from $18 to $30 for good cleaning and shaping at that store. So look at that last hat if I can clean it with a hat brush it will cost me some more to get it looking right.
I think when look at good deal on vintage hat you need to look at the over all condition of the hat.
There is a few on ebay that are just down right trashed but the seller has them marked high as i see it .
$25.99 for hat with no size and looking like it sat in Attic for a few year gathering dust and all means a deep cleaning for what could be growing inside it.
I seen a few nice hats on the out side that turn me off once I see the inside and some mole like growing in it. Cost of fixing that is a Big factor.
I seen hat with parched sweat bans that seem to work for their owner but done not help in keep the hats value.
I know there many on here that have taken the time to learn to fix and repair a hat back from a dusty death just to save on those cost.
That is a great skill to master and does give one scene of pride as well as second income too when doing it for other too.
The hat looks great but for that sweat band and that's limiting factor to some and great project to work on for others.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Ah, gotcha.

I'd say it is OK considering that you'll have to pay someone to put in a new sweatband. But once that is done you are adding up to $40 in your price (depending on where and how you get that new sweatband into the hat). So, you are talking with the repairs and the shipping somewhere around a $100 hat. And for a common Stetson Royal from the late 50s/early 60s, I'd say that is close to too much and it would be too much at a smaller size. But, at a size 7-5/8 it is probably not the worst investment in the world even with all the repairs that need to be done.

So, I'd say it wasn't a fantastic deal, but not a bad one, either. It could be a good deal if you can do all the renovation work yourself, though, and save the shipping and repair work it would cost to send out for the repairs.

There's no such thing as a common Royal Stetson in this size. Vintage 7 5/8 hat for $100, and you're not calling it a deal? No pleasing some people, I guess.

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
A pristine hat over 50 years old that is used.. that would be a great find at that price. There a lot we all look at on the hats we feel are deals.
the one got last night i didn't see as a good deal till I got the seller to send some inside pics.

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
Some of you may remember last week I purchased a joblot from france, what caught my eye was a borsalino with a 7 tag which the seller listed as eu 57 (not a very exciting size) whenever ive seen red borsalino tags they have been punti meaning eu 61 (a very exciting size) well they arrived an hour ago and its a PUNTI 7, dear diary jackpot!, the seller managed to not only get that size wrong but a couple of others like this black french hat also in 61 and there is a Swiss Homburg in a 60 as well as some very interesting hats in smaller sizes. Some days your the dog some days your the lamppost, today is a dog day!

14921919513_5d9d73b9d8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy