Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
Dobbs Rainbow, size 7, under $20.
dc0d_1.JPG

Lefty, I totally missed that. Congratulations! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dumbjaw said:
The Whippet I've owned before didn't say "Whippet" on the sweat, just on the liner, but I don't see "Whippet" on the liner in the auction pictures of this one. It looks open crown, too, which either means it actually is original, or it hasn't been tampered with since its Whippet-altering reblock. What you're saying is definitely possible. I'm figuring somebody will end up recognizing the box or the liner in regards to age / identity. In the meantime, it's a definite mystery.

The one above says Whippet at the front of the sweatband. The sweatband will be your best dating tool. I believe it's made of leather witha finish that was used by Stetson from the middle-late 1950s. I also remember mention some time ago of a special purple liner used in "high quality" Stetsons. Can't remember from whom this info was gleaned.

I suspect a brim trimmer has been employed - take an old style wide-ish brimmed hat and make it trendy for the early 1960s.

bk

nickn5

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
Cripes. Someone went nutz on this one didn't they.

lol Must be some 'Lee'n wallets around now - what with that Lee for $180 and the Jonnyphi Lee Trinity which fetched $260 last night.

N. :)

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
Thanks, God for bad descriptions. ;) Including all those describing 40's-vintage Adam hats as economy models lacking detail or refinement. $18.27 for a Size 7 3/8 Open Road clone in near-perfect condition. And I though Christmas was over.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=370158928617

A soft, buttery felt equal to my vintage Borsalinos with a thick, wide, supple roan sweatband and other details equal or better.

355902928.jpg

355902907.jpg

355902778.jpg

355902788.jpg

355902812.jpg

355902869.jpg

355902890.jpg

MattJH

One Too Many
Bob Smalser said:
Thanks, God for bad descriptions. ;) Including all those describing 40's-vintage Adam hats as economy models lacking detail or refinement. $18.27 for a Size 7 3/8 Open Road clone in near-perfect condition. And I though Christmas was over.

A soft, buttery felt equal to my vintage Borsalinos with a thick, wide, supple roan sweatband and other details equal or better.

For all of the hemming and hawing we do regarding tragic eBay experiences, it sure is nice when people list things like this that they have no knowledge of, isn't it? :) This story is very similar to the poorly-listed 7 5/8 Adam Executive I won just a few weeks ago for $23.50. I love mine, and congratulations to you and yours!

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
Dumbjaw said:
....7 5/8 Adam Executive[/URL] I won just a few weeks ago for $23.50.....

Congratulations. Interesting to see the differences between them, as I'm guessing at the decade. They may be 10 years apart, although I couldn't tell which is older.

One thing for sure is the quality of the felt, manufacturing and detail is the equal of my 40's-vintage Borsalino Alesandria hanging beside it on the hall tree.

MattJH

One Too Many
Yeah, they're definitely different, but I have no way of determining the age of Adam Executive hats. JohnnyPhi would probably have a good idea, though.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Gilgamark said:
I put a bid in on this one. Great hat and would fit nicely in my collection. Let me know if you have/get anything similar. I need a brown and this is my sytle.

Here's mine, pre-Optimo clean and block. It's not in perfect shape, like the one that just sold, but it's pretty darn nice. It's blue label, rather than black. I have no idea which color represents what quality.
lee1.jpg

lee4.jpg

lee3.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
It's blue label, rather than black. I have no idea which color represents what quality.

I believe that "black label" was the bottom rung. "Blue label" was up from that -- and "white label" was above the blue label.

Cheers,
JtL

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Bob Smalser, that's a helluva find! I keep trying to search eBay in creative ways to ferret out poorly listed deals, but I haven't had luck like THAT! :eek:

And Lefty, that Lee has character. It's a beauty. Let's see it atop its owner!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
randooch said:
Wow! That screams "Potential!" Did a lounger get this, and, if so, let's see how it looks after some TLC.

Wasn't me, though I watched it. I've been going through stacks of hat boxes and of hats and reminding myself of just how many "fixer-uppers" I actually have--didn't need another one! But it would have been nice to add a Wormser to my collection. I don't believe I have one at this time.

I would like to see it fixed up, though, so like you I'm hoping another Lounger got it.

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo