Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Just won this off eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=350168888984

A Glyn & Co homburg! Looks in good condition as well!

UHL-(1).jpg

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You're right Lefty.....

I've never seen one before, until Garrett grabbed one & I fell in love with it. Thankfully he didn't, we made a swap. :D

You don't see a Lion very often. I didn't realize until recently that Lion was made by Langenberg, which became Beaver Brand.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
randooch said:
Nicely done, Charlie! It might even look good with that cap-n-gown. :)

And I got it at a good price as well (thankfully, no one bidded after me)! Saves me forking out £100+ for a new one.

Actually, the proper 'lay' headwear for an academic gown in undress is a top hat a lá Cambridge in the C19th. :)

noblemanorfellowofkings.jpg

Nobleman or Fellow of King's College Cambridge

fellowcommonerofem1college.jpg

Fellow Commoner of Emmanuel College Cambridge

esquirebeadle.jpg

Esquire Beadle of Cambridge

Source: Costumes Worn at the University of Cambridge in 1803. Engravings by Richard B.Harraden, 1756-1838.

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
Cigarband said:
... But I still need your advise. What is the best way to adjust to fit if the hat is just a bit oversized? Or will it look too strange? Thanks.

Trying to shrink any garment is a crapshoot I don't advise, as all the parts don't shrink proportionally. A hatter can do it, but they have the necessary blocks and stretchers and the job usually requires new sweatbands and ribbons. A wool tweed hat is rarely worth spending all that money on a hatter, though.

You can also pad out the sweatband using foam, ribbon, or strips of wool felt. The Fedora Store sells foam for the purpose, as do the millinery suppliers like Hat Supply or Judith M. Padding it down only one size is commonly done and won't affect its appearance.

http://www.hatsupply.com/grosgrain_sweats.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters