Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, 7 1/4 is pretty nice, but 7 1/8 and under is amazing. Look at the panamas and the Dobbs on this page alone. All of them went for less than the OR. In a 7 1/2, that Dobbs would have been worth north of 250 to me.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
Resistol panama 7 1/8 extra-lo. Apparently, it was owned by my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend who heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. (try telling me that's not a great reference)
a8d5_1.JPG
adbe_1.JPG

Knox panama 7 1/8 described as linen or tweed
7594_1.JPG
7dcf_1.JPG

a couple of brim cutters, 1/4 and 1/8, for you DIY types
480f_1.JPG

Hey, who is doing Ferris Bueller jokes.....

Buler.....Buler......

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

Lokar

A-List Customer
Lock & Co Homburg 7½ (7 3/8 US)

The photo was awful (flash on a near black hat!), and it didn't look to be in that great condition (despite the claims in the description), but I thought I might pay a little and £12 ($17) is pretty good!

It arrived today, and it wasn't in good condition, as I assumed. I'd like to get some assistance with what I should do with it - I'm going to just ask here, but if I should start a new thread instead could somebody let me know? (Edit: After having typed up the post, there's a lot of text, so I will start a new thread. A URL to the thread is here.)

It's 8:00 PM here and the sun sets early, but I'll take some photos in sunlight tomorrow and add them to the post.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Glad to say this one's heading my way. What interests me about this lid is that it has the qualities of the hat featured in the
Bold Look thread -- thin edge binding on top, but very wide edge binding underneath.

Cheers,
JtL

Possible, but the way the brim wants to curl tells me it's probably a Homburg that someone flattened out.

Brad

Feraud

Bartender
Brad Bowers said:
Possible, but the way the brim wants to curl tells me it's probably a Homburg that someone flattened out.

Brad
An interesting observation Brad. I assume you are talking about the waviness present in the brim?
I hope JTL will provide some additional photos when he receives the hat.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I hope that JtL isn't crying in his beer when it turns out that Brad is right...:eek: [huh]

You know, the crown just seems so fedora-like that I really didn't focus on the brim -- other than to note that the edge binding treatment was very similar to my Stetson 3X (Vogue-style), except in reverse. So, that extra row of stitching is something that I have seen before in a fedora context.

But, now, you've got me wondering, Brad...:eusa_doh: :D

Cheers,
JtL

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
An interesting observation Brad. I assume you are talking about the waviness present in the brim?

Yes, and if you look at the first photo on the auction...

GRA02.JPG

...you'll see the curl stretches around pretty far forward, and is fairly vertical on the sides, indicative of a Homburg.

Brad

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250377333493

Not owning any Stetsons, I find this 20-dollar eBay find interesting. Poorly described, I thought it was a recent hat in Size 6 7/8 the wife could wear gardening. Turns out it's a vintage Open Road style but with a western string ribbon in a huge Size 7 7/8. With a 2 3/4" bound brim and 4 3/4 - 5 1/4 - 4 1/4 crown, it's proportional to my other Open Road clones and appropriate for the hat's size.

In an unusual khaki color, the felt has a nice, soft hand more akin to my Borsalinos than my Resistols. I figure mid 40's to mid-50's, but don't really know.

356995828.jpg

356995850.jpg

356995879.jpg

356995911.jpg

356995944.jpg

356995963.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou