Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AlanC, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Redfokker

Redfokker

Just nabbed an interesting Navy blue Homburg from the Bay. It was sold at RW Forsythe, Ediburgh & Glasgow Scotland. A quick search shows they were a men's and women's clothier opening in the later 19th century. No images in the listing of under the sweat clues, so I can't wait to see who might have made this one for this original seller.

Forsythe Homburg front.jpg Ebay photo sweat and Liner.jpg Ebay photo Liner.jpg RW Forsythe store in Glasgow.jpg

deadlyhandsome, Tonio, steur and 7 others like this.
  2. splintercellsz

splintercellsz I'll Lock Up

it is an early stetson expo, not sure which time frame. black fedora, looked like a velour/lobg hair but the other photos are of the same quality. I'll post more when it comes in!!

Redfokker likes this.
  3. splintercellsz

splintercellsz I'll Lock Up

mandatory head shot needed upon arrival, sir!

Redfokker likes this.
  4. Well....................if it is a 7 1/2.....feel free to let me know!;) I could really use another hat!!:rolleyes:;):)
    M

splintercellsz and Redfokker like this.
  5. That looks GREAT!!! I think you did well!!!!!!!!
    M

Desert dog and Redfokker like this.
  6. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes Call Me a Cab

7. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

It'll be interesting to get it in hand. It looks from the pix like a fairly substantial felt. Pity the lining's missing, though.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Redfokker likes this.
  8. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Familiar Face

Just got my first felt hat in over 40 years, a used Akubra from Ebay for a pretty low price.

It fits perfectly. I love the style, the colour, everything. I had to remove the band for reasons which will be obvious to many :)

[​IMG]

9. MondoFW

MondoFW Practically Family

10. Redfokker, MondoFW and M Hatman like this.
  11. You did good.....:):)
    I LOST a nice lid no one was watching by a last minute snipe.....only two of us bidding......I was on the road and could not keep an eye on it or increase my high bid:(. It happens, hopefully it is going to a good home and not to one of those "hat scalpers"...........o_O
    M;)

Redfokker likes this.
  12. MondoFW

Bahhh, that's always unfortunate. Also, not that I am a "hat scalper", but you must admit it is cool to have something that is, not only usable, but has the prospect of increasing in value.

Redfokker likes this.
  13. Yes and no.......I rarely sell anything so never really see the increase of value realised. And at this point, I seem to have to pay top dollar for anything remotely nice due to my big head. Not much money to be had there......
    It is not about the money value with me....it is the historic significance and how much I enjoy its use. I suppose my legatees will be happy when I pass......provided they remember where to sell everything.........as THEY will have the profits, and with nothing invested....they will do well.
    M

14. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Well Mondo, you pretty much doubled your money when you hit the bid button! Welcome to the show. Be well. Bowen

Redfokker, M Hatman and MondoFW like this.
  15. MondoFW

Thanks! I was baffled at what I thought was a good deal. Some hats on eBay are like triple price and don't include their original box, and if they do, it's in beat condition.
    I'd like to hope they're sentimental and keep everything!

Redfokker, M Hatman and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  16. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Mondo: you’ll realize soon how special your first hat is. Pristine, classy and the original sales slip and box. That be a Grand Slam! Hard to come by! Great start dude! Hope it fits. Wear it well. Kudos! Be well. Bowen.

Redfokker and M Hatman like this.
  17. moehawk

moehawk I'll Lock Up

I usually don't post a hat till it's in hand, but I was kinda excited about this Adam that looks early 40's to me.

[​IMG][​IMG]

My early Christmas present to myself.
    Can't wait to get it!