Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Not a lot, really. I have some, because I thought I should, but I can't say I favor them...

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I get that. To me, fedoras are more versatile and can be worn dressed up or down, but in my mind a homburg is just a nicer option with a suit. I rarely wear a dinner jacket but when I do a homburg is always my hat of choice. Many here wear them casually, and look great doing so, but for me they are a bit too formal with too much gravitas for causal wear. My new Bat Masterson might be the exception to my rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just Daniel

One Too Many
I totally agree. A homburg adds just a little extra formality when you need it.

...and finding a 3X+ homburg is extra fun!

Daniel

I get that. To me, fedoras are more versatile and can be worn dressed up or down, but in my mind a homburg is just a nicer option with a suit. I rarely wear a dinner jacket but when I do a homburg is always my hat of choice. Many here wear them casually, and look great doing so, but for me they are a bit too formal with too much gravitas for causal wear. My new Bat Masterson might be the exception to my rule.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

I hardly ever wear a suit. I dislike wearing suits, and dislike formal attire in general. Even more, I dislike formality itself.

Because of the way the Mexican educational system is structured, I had to choose a career area (Mathematics, Chemistry-Biology, Humanities, etc.) when I entered the last year of high school. I decided on the Chemical-Biological area because I wanted to be a Vet or a Dentist. One of the reasons, among others, was that I wouldn't have to wear a suit to work. I was fifteen years old, but I still think my decision was sound. I would have hated to go through life wearing a suit to work every day.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Well said. That's why Mexico and the Caribbean have the Guayaberra!

A nice linen Presidente is perfect, more so in a great hat!

I hardly ever wear a suit. I dislike wearing suits, and dislike formal attire in general. Even more, I dislike formality itself.

Because of the way the Mexican educational system is structured, I had to choose a career area (Mathematics, Chemistry-Biology, Humanities, etc.) when I entered the last year of high school. I decided on the Chemical-Biological area because I wanted to be a Vet or a Dentist. One of the reasons, among others, was that I wouldn't have to wear a suit to work. I was fifteen years old, but I still think my decision was sound. I would have hated to go through life wearing a suit to work every day.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well said. That's why Mexico and the Caribbean have the Guayaberra!

A nice linen Presidente is perfect, more so in a great hat!
I buy a new Guayabera or two every time I go to Ecuador. I love them!

i-PtB59F5-XL.jpg

I turn any shirt into a Guayabera, because my shirttails are always coming out. Don't know why.

Years ago I worked with a guy who would show up in a nice suit. Within the hour he would look like Pigpen. One time, we met in Cincinnati for a weekday afternoon ballgame. I was walking behind him on the concourse and I swear I literally watched him fall apart in real time on our way to our seats.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Years ago I worked with a guy who would show up in a nice suit. Within the hour he would look like Pigpen. One time, we met in Cincinnati for a weekday afternoon ballgame. I was walking behind him on the concourse and I swear I literally watched him fall apart in real time on our way to our seats.

Shirt stays. Some men need them.

I wear suits every day out of choice, not because I have to. I my experience there are way too many men that have come to dislike wearing suits because they were made to wear them in school or at work. They tend to buy cheap and ill-fitting suits. Usually too large, with jacket sleeves that are too long, shoulders that are too wide and trouser legs bunching up on their shoes, giving them that dishevelled look. A good fitting suit in a nice cloth is as comfortable as any other type of clothing. It just needs some attention (like all clothing does); if it doesn't fit you just right: have it altered so that it does. Just have a look at our own @fabiovenhorst to see how it's done. He doesn't look uncomfortable at all and always looks his best.
Homburgs can be worn with anything these days, formal or informal, and are usually recognized (more often than fedoras in my experience) as quality hats.

I wear suits every day out of choice, not because I have to. I my experience there are way too many men that have come to dislike wearing suits because they were made to wear them in school or at work. They tend to buy cheap and ill-fitting suits. Usually too large, with jacket sleeves that are too long, shoulders that are too wide and trouser legs bunching up on their shoes, giving them that dishevelled look. A good fitting suit in a nice cloth is as comfortable as any other type of clothing. It just needs some attention (like all clothing does); if it doesn't fit you just right: have it altered so that it does. Just have a look at our own @fabiovenhorst to see how it's done. He doesn't look uncomfortable at all and always looks his best.
Homburgs can be worn with anything these days, formal or informal, and are usually recognized (more often than fedoras in my experience) as quality hats.

I was going to write much the same thing yesterday. It seems to me (IMHO only) that a good portion of the "I hate suits" community are not wearing clothes that fit them. On the opposite side of your coin, most complaints I hear are they are "constricting," or they don't like to wear a "noose" around their neck. I don't wear suits as much as I use to, but if the trousers fit, the jacket fits and is roomy enough, and the shirt collar is the correct size, they're just as comfortable as any other clothes combination.

Of course, there is also the "rebel" crowd, who associate suits with elites, or management, or whatever, and decide they want to convey a different message to the public and themselves.

However, to each their own. Just be happy in who you are, right? But no socks with sandals, mmmkay?

I find suits quite comfortable too. Because of my work I don’t wear them as often as I used to (how many jobs do you get promoted and then have to dress down?), but even a sport coat or blazer with nice odd trousers sets you apart in most places anymore.

I see people wearing homburgs casually and it looks great to me. When I try it myself I feel uncertain and you need to be comfortable in what you wear. To my eye, I feel like I’m wearing black patent leather shoes with chinos or dinner jacket with jeans. Just one of my personal hang-ups.

You are always dressed to the nines Stefan. I agree with you totally. Although in my size, suits are a challenge, I enjoy wearing them on work days. Probably overdressed for college campus wear among millinials, but I "dress for my hats" generally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21