Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Just won this Mallory Ten.
1c5acc0e4b8c05eb74324918b5f9dfdb.jpg
7121715675c55f4870dce9d51fff71dd.jpg
d2d8556faa2b89ee1bbd319e5bec3a87.jpg
6bb6c7f88aeb0a31af0e9926f522232c.jpg
00a0b60c73eb25d2b859790718aad072.jpg
fbc94f85f0daa76ed830670efe087a97.jpg
6d02ac7d91fb29ccc6295f32f4de64e5.jpg
90c5a8fe9edd9ad730606a93f48962e6.jpg
216d7a7fceb275f2ce6f2312026c9d78.jpg
8f78190b4f90a9decb24584faae2eeaf.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Mighty pretty hat, Max. How did you do on the Stetson Beaver 20? I followed it and it tripled in price there at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I didn't really go for it. I quit at 180. I was more interested in this one. I have several hats that look a lot like the Beaver Twenty...

I hear you. It was such a pretty hat, but your collection is full of the likes. No one can have them all. That Mallory is a great color and I bet it will be soft and just about perfect. You have some great thin ribbons.

I can’t remember, have you taken possession of your The Dallas yet?

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I hear you. It was such a pretty hat, but your collection is full of the likes. No one can have them all. That Mallory is a great color and I bet it will be soft and just about perfect. You have some great thin ribbons.

I can’t remember, have you taken possession of your The Dallas yet?

Yep! Took it out of the safe a while ago to wear tomorrow.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Yep! Took it out of the safe a while ago to wear tomorrow.

Ignacio really did a good job on it. I just cleaned the La Salle and the Knox Twenty. Amazing how brown the white gas got. Both look beautiful! I don't think they will have to be conformed. They look just fine.

I just finished chatting with him. Says he is feeling OK. Asked him for advice on a couple Etsys. What would I do without him?

He’s a genuinely nice guy. His diverse and extensive hat collection is great, but he’s a cool cat without any of that. Just don’t let him lead you from the true religion into the apostasy that is leather jackets. :)

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
He’s a genuinely nice guy. His diverse and extensive hat collection is great, but he’s a cool cat without any of that. Just don’t let him lead you from the true religion into the apostasy that is leather jackets. :)

Bowen the Apostate. He would like that.
Nah. I was never into clothing. Or shoes. Or cars. Only golf, hats and teeth.

I was going to write much the same thing yesterday. It seems to me (IMHO only) that a good portion of the "I hate suits" community are not wearing clothes that fit them. On the opposite side of your coin, most complaints I hear are they are "constricting," or they don't like to wear a "noose" around their neck. I don't wear suits as much as I use to, but if the trousers fit, the jacket fits and is roomy enough, and the shirt collar is the correct size, they're just as comfortable as any other clothes combination.

Of course, there is also the "rebel" crowd, who associate suits with elites, or management, or whatever, and decide they want to convey a different message to the public and themselves.

However, to each their own. Just be happy in who you are, right? But no socks with sandals, mmmkay?
We can (hopefully) all agree on that!

I find suits quite comfortable too. Because of my work I don’t wear them as often as I used to (how many jobs do you get promoted and then have to dress down?), but even a sport coat or blazer with nice odd trousers sets you apart in most places anymore.

I see people wearing homburgs casually and it looks great to me. When I try it myself I feel uncertain and you need to be comfortable in what you wear. To my eye, I feel like I’m wearing black patent leather shoes with chinos or dinner jacket with jeans. Just one of my personal hang-ups.

Agreed, Brent. If your clothing (or your hat for that matter) makes you feel too self-conscious, it will show. But sometimes new things just need getting used to (my own homburg wearing is an example of that).

You are always dressed to the nines Stefan. I agree with you totally. Although in my size, suits are a challenge, I enjoy wearing them on work days. Probably overdressed for college campus wear among millinials, but I "dress for my hats" generally.
Thank you, Mike. Dressing for your hats: I like that idea!

These steel heated hat (blocks?) have been popping up a lot on eBay listed as hat stretchers. I thought that they would be perfect for ironing crowns from the inside. Wether taking a hat to open crown, removing old creases, or converting western hats to fedoras its helpful to be able to iron from the inside was well as the outside. I bought a 21” version even though I’m a 24.25”. Having the block smaller than my size allows me to fit hats all the way down to the tip of the crown regardless of the taper of the hat. I remove the liner, mist the inside of the felt, let the block heat up (I wait just until water boils on contact) and work the crown all around the hot block. It removes even stubborn western machine pressed creases without any problem.

There isn’t a rheostat or control for the temperature, just plug it in and wait for it the heat up. It’s a heavy piece of kit and takes several minutes to heat up. I unplug it when it’s as hot as I want as I’m afraid it could burn the felt if allowed to continue heating. It’s obviously an older unit as the cord is cloth wound but it works great.

dd23875b9d9f6659678c142cb944d9e6.jpg

9394fe5b78f1965ea4e9b84e478b020d.jpg

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
These steel heated hat (blocks?) have been popping up a lot on eBay listed as hat stretchers. I thought that they would be perfect for ironing crowns from the inside. Wether taking a hat to open crown, removing old creases, or converting western hats to fedoras its helpful to be able to iron from the inside was well as the outside. I bought a 21” version even though I’m a 24.25”. Having the block smaller than my size allows me to fit hats all the way down to the tip of the crown regardless of the taper of the hat. I remove the liner, mist the inside of the felt, let the block heat up (I wait just until water boils on contact) and work the crown all around the hot block. It removes even stubborn western machine pressed creases without any problem.

There isn’t a rheostat or control for the temperature, just plug it in and wait for it the heat up. It’s a heavy piece of kit and takes several minutes to heat up. I unplug it when it’s as hot as I want as I’m afraid it could burn the felt if allowed to continue heating. It’s obviously an older unit as the cord is cloth wound but it works great.

dd23875b9d9f6659678c142cb944d9e6.jpg

9394fe5b78f1965ea4e9b84e478b020d.jpg

I was wondering about that. Thank you, Brent!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points