Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Just Daniel

One Too Many
I have a "good news" Ebay story. Back in early August sold a hat on Ebay, shipped it to NJ from Vancouver, Canada. 2.5 months later I received a message from buyer that it had not been received. I had thrown away tracking in assumption of receipt so had no way of knowing if the claim was legit. It was only $50 so did not fight it. Two weeks ago I finally got around to issuing a full refund. Two days after I issued PayPal refund the buyer contacted me to advise the damn parcel had just shown up on his doorstep. The parcel had a note I assume from the USPS that it was found in a supposedly empty sorting machine. I reinvoiced and the buyer paid me again. Happy endings do happen and there are buyers with huge integrity for which I am grateful.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Hey, thanks,Rehat! Yeah, I perceived this hat wanted to remain as is so I didn’t try forcing it. Could’ve, but it seemed so happy being sad as a teardrop. [emoji4]
Shipping was free, too, which made me happier, still! I’m afraid this purchase will have me shaking the BAY bushes for more lucky buys for a good long while. Hooked again, dang it! [emoji12].
Too bad most sellers have gotten savvy to what us lid lovers are willing to pay for the real deal. It wasn’t this hard to find low priced, quality vintage hats only ten years ago.
So, do you or anyone here have an idea if this hat is an early fifties, or late fifties, or...what? Thanks, everyone for the likes and positive comments.
I will be kept at BAY and hounded by my old sickness while trying to find the escape route I used the last time I caught fedora fever![emoji3062] [emoji6].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That price tag puts it pretty early, I'm thinking, particularly if the water repellent signifies an extra treatment of some kind. That would probably only be on a more premium hat.
If there's a Marathon scholar who can date liners, size tags, etc., I haven't run across them. Penny revolutionized retail by opening chains of stores, taking market share from Sears, who up until then was a catalog house. At some point Penny also did catalog sales. If there is a JC Penney catalog archive somewhere you might be able to learn something.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Hey, thanks,Rehat! Yeah, I perceived this hat wanted to remain as is so I didn’t try forcing it. Could’ve, but it seemed so happy being sad as a teardrop. [emoji4]
Shipping was free, too, which made me happier, still! I’m afraid this purchase will have me shaking the BAY bushes for more lucky buys for a good long while. Hooked again, dang it! [emoji12].
Too bad most sellers have gotten savvy to what us lid lovers are willing to pay for the real deal. It wasn’t this hard to find low priced, quality vintage hats only ten years ago.
So, do you or anyone here have an idea if this hat is an early fifties, or late fifties, or...what? Thanks, everyone for the likes and positive comments.
I will be kept at BAY and hounded by my old sickness while trying to find the escape route I used the last time I caught fedora fever![emoji3062] [emoji6].

I just did a search, Randall. There's a thread here, "The Penney's Marathon". If you start at about post #203, which was actually Feb. this year, I think you'll find some interesting dating info.
My thoughts on the price were wrong, though. In 1960, the first year of a catalog, they sold a wide brim fur felt for $5.90.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It can be done. I was able to get not one but two hats from timothiescloset at a decent price. Paid well less than half the asking price for each.

First is a Mallory Ten (pre-Stetson). These are the auction pictures.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mallory-Si...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

F1C617EE-125F-4FAA-9409-F320F35E2131.jpeg 4993B01A-2C50-460E-987C-6A83F235B377.jpeg E13E7876-86B1-4EE4-B8D7-FC18585030EB.jpeg 04B05FAD-A803-4278-9F33-77168361186F.jpeg 0BF5E9D0-704E-4A9B-AF9D-574EFD99B4E8.jpeg 276FA84E-F541-4531-AE58-7E148A3850C5.jpeg E0472134-3570-4CC9-B2CE-825FFE24C0E3.jpeg 4FFF074C-6A0E-4783-A7BA-6CE9DE43A4B5.jpeg 61811B51-D9C2-4E00-BFEB-F2DD337442B6.jpeg 6434CD26-5F99-47F1-9D8F-DD4427DCCB60.jpeg

It can be done. I was able to get not one but two hats from timothiescloset at a decent price. Paid well less than half the asking price for each.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mallory-Si...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

View attachment 195438 View attachment 195439 View attachment 195440 View attachment 195441 View attachment 195442 View attachment 195443 View attachment 195444 View attachment 195445 View attachment 195446 View attachment 195447

Wonderful hat Bill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab

View attachment 195438 View attachment 195439 View attachment 195440 View attachment 195441 View attachment 195442 View attachment 195443 View attachment 195444 View attachment 195445 View attachment 195446 View attachment 195447

I see you’re making good on that threat to collect more homburgs, Bill. Such a sweet brown Mallory,too! Jealous.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
I just did a search, Randall. There's a thread here, "The Penney's Marathon". If you start at about post #203, which was actually Feb. this year, I think you'll find some interesting dating info.
My thoughts on the price were wrong, though. In 1960, the first year of a catalog, they sold a wide brim fur felt for $5.90.

Thank you for the Dick Tracey work, Rehat.
Sooo...you could still buy a fine felt in the sixties after all. I’ll go to thread and check it out. Again, thanks.

Miamibruno

One Too Many
Yes, that's the same guy. Did he end up returning the hats and getting a refund from you directly or did Ebay issue it themselves and seek reimbursement from you? The reason I ask is that I had to select the "cannot purchase courier return label in other country" for the shipping.

Yep. That's what I had to do as well. I will say that he did purchase the return shipping on his own. He bought 3 hats and kept one. The two he sent back were in absolutely great shape but he felt that they had "holes" in it, which were tiny moth nibbles of the kind you can barely see, the type you might expect on any vintage lid. I've actually started adding a sentence to my auctions about the possibility of unseen imperfections because of this guy.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
A victory!
Just snagged this late fifties/early sixties Stetson for $66 and $10 shipping. Not a bad deal... maybe. We’ll see. I’ll post pics of it soon as it comes in.
A gripe:
Yesterday I missed a twenty dollar Borsalina
After getting distracted only thirty minutes before the end of the auction! Plumb forgot!
Someone, prolly someone here, [emoji3], got a fairly nice Italian open road clone on the cheap!
It was listed as a “Bosalina” so I’m sure not many even saw the hat.
My memory loss is Someone else’s gain.
[emoji849]

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
A victory!
Just snagged this late fifties/early sixties Stetson for $66 and $10 shipping. Not a bad deal... maybe. We’ll see. I’ll post pics of it soon as it comes in.
A gripe:
Yesterday I missed a twenty dollar Borsalina
After getting distracted only thirty minutes before the end of the auction! Plumb forgot!
Someone, prolly someone here, [emoji3], got a fairly nice Italian open road clone on the cheap!
It was listed as a “Bosalina” so I’m sure not many even saw the hat.
My memory loss is Someone else’s gain.
[emoji849]

See?!! Bad memory! forgot the pic!
IMG_0102.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112