Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AlanC, Mar 24, 2008.

1. splintercellsz

splintercellsz I'll Lock Up

This made my heart hurt

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

DOGMAN, hatsRme, M Hatman and 3 others like this.
  2. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

I said I was only going to buy hats I considered magnificent, but I was missing a Knox 25, and this one was only $18.50, so I bought it.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

3. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Yup
    De-brim ribbon remorse.
    Made a beautiful survivor hat plain.
    B

M Hatman and Blare like this.
  4. Hagwood

Hagwood Practically Family

Damn, I was watching that hat too and nearly pulled the trigger, but had too many others going. I didn't realize it was a fellow lounger's. Now I wish I would have bought it just so it wouldn't have been ruined......

DOGMAN, M Hatman and Blare like this.
  5. Blare

Blare One of the Regulars

Wow... anytime you come across a 25 for less than it cost 50 or more years ago... that’s a good day.

Best,
    Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

drmaxtejeda and Rmccamey like this.
  6. Randall Renshaw

Randall Renshaw One of the Regulars

IMG_0079.JPG
    Hey y’all!! I’m one happy eBay buyer today!
    Just got this gilled Marathon and it’s a beaut! Mint condition and perfect proportions! At least I think so....
    This is my first Penny’s hat, that fits me and purchased for my collection anyway, and it’s a lightweight body yet dense and stiff at the same time. Love this hat. Easily my favorite.... for now.
    Let me know what y’all think the year of this one is. I’m guessing mid to early fifties, but I’m no expert.
    The seller listed this one as a BIN price of 69.99!!! I snatched it up hoping no one would beat me to it! Always wanted a shark gilled bow. The flange on this hat is serious!
    I could hardly get it to stretch out to my oblong melon without completely ruining the brims shape!! But I won out, finally.
    It’s the only c-crowned hat I own. I could easily put my favorite crease in it (single crease with pinch) but I like the teardrop this one came with. Suits the hat well. Which reminds me, when did c-crowns hit the scene? Thirties, forties? IMG_0077.JPG IMG_0075.JPG IMG_0076.JPG
    No one will ever get a chance to destroy this hat on eBay! I can’t believe what that curmudgeon done to that super nice unusual ribboned thirties fedora!!
    The cretinous hack should be thrown in prison for life without!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hatsRme, DOGMAN, Ross Young and 13 others like this.
  7. Rmccamey

Rmccamey One Too Many

Nice pickup. The Marathon has been avoiding me but I keep watching and waiting.

dkstott and Randall Renshaw like this.
  8. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

9. Hat and Rehat

Hat and Rehat One Too Many

I usually wouldn't encourage those extra Facebook style reaction icons. I could live with a steaming angry one here.

M Hatman likes this.
  10. Hat and Rehat

You're as mealy mouthed as the rest of us with claims we won't buy more hats, Doc.

11. Hat and Rehat

Great catch, Randall! I really like the pleated lininer. I also think you're making the right choice, letting the hat determine the bash.

M Hatman likes this.
  12. Randall Renshaw

Hey, thanks,Rehat! Yeah, I perceived this hat wanted to remain as is so I didn’t try forcing it. Could’ve, but it seemed so happy being sad as a teardrop.
    Shipping was free, too, which made me happier, still! I’m afraid this purchase will have me shaking the BAY bushes for more lucky buys for a good long while. Hooked again, dang it! .
    Too bad most sellers have gotten savvy to what us lid lovers are willing to pay for the real deal. It wasn’t this hard to find low priced, quality vintage hats only ten years ago.
    So, do you or anyone here have an idea if this hat is an early fifties, or late fifties, or...what? Thanks, everyone for the likes and positive comments.
    I will be kept at BAY and hounded by my old sickness while trying to find the escape route I used the last time I caught fedora fever! .

Hat and Rehat and M Hatman like this.
  13. Garrett

Garrett My Mail is Forwarded Here

More Ebay BS -

Sold these 2 to a Canadian buyer:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283656033803

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283656271518

A return was requested for both of them today. Here is the reason given:

"very different from the photos in texture"

Its obviously a buyer's remorse BS excuse scenario but Ebay favors idiot buyers over experienced knowledgeable sellers every time. I'd love to sell soley on the lounge (cheaper for everyone involved) but many times the items just sit here in the classifieds until an Ebay link is provided.

DOGMAN, M Hatman and steur like this.
  14. splintercellsz

what. the. hell

Try to feel the felt by touching their screen? That's the only way that statement could even make any sense, as wacky as it is. People just don't make sense anymore

15. Randall Renshaw

IMG_0088.JPG
    Here’s an interesting boater. It’s very old and unique. It’s practically hidden under this kind of title, so thought I’d share it with y’all . I have no interest in boaters , but this one is cheap and desirable. Go check it out!

Blare likes this.
  16. Blare

Blare One of the Regulars

A lot of texture on that one

Best,
    Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Randall Renshaw likes this.
  17. Miamibruno

Miamibruno Practically Family

Garrett,

Were the buyers initials V. S. by any chance? I had a similar situation with a gent with those initials.

Adrian

18. Hagwood

Hagwood Practically Family

Got my first Portis in the mail today. Pretty dirty and mangled, and just thrown in too small of a box, but hey, only $12.

Felt and sweat look to be excellent under the dirt. This will take some work, so I’ll post more after cleaning, etc. I actually like finding these kind better anyway, I get a lot of satisfaction out of bringing something back to its former glory, as I do with my other restoration hobbies.

41FA54B1-BD3E-4FC3-B7B2-842545EE98D6.jpeg

AA6499DB-2795-4912-9486-58E237AEA7FA.jpeg

6D19674C-2F2C-484F-A990-94D8E415B4BB.jpeg

26E1FD28-D3EE-4492-A8DD-235684108003.jpeg

EC682C40-1BB1-4565-8F8F-3766598A9F88.jpeg

B09B4807-D731-4ECC-9FDB-547F772C53B3.jpeg

C433B426-0095-414C-90D3-CD7BFCEB85EB.jpeg

19. Garrett

Garrett My Mail is Forwarded Here

Yes, that's the same guy. Did he end up returning the hats and getting a refund from you directly or did Ebay issue it themselves and seek reimbursement from you? The reason I ask is that I had to select the "cannot purchase courier return label in other country" for the shipping.

20. splintercellsz

can you message me his id so i know who to add to my blocked buyer list?