Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AlanC, Mar 24, 2008.

1. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Thank you, Brent, my friend. I am not following the Lounge as much any more. The death of Tapatalk makes it more difficult. If I miss any quotes from you, and fail to respond, it's because I didn't read them. Abrazos, amigo!

2. Just Daniel

Just Daniel Practically Family

As Brent noted, there are several threads on dating hats. Each brand has its own peculiarities.

Two general rules that might help get started: plastic in the liner means post ‘52, and black leather sweatbands mean 60s. There are always exceptions and there are quite a few more signs, but that’s a start!

new2hats and SteveFord like this.
  3. new2hats

new2hats One of the Regulars

Thanks, will keep up the research. What about red liners? Is there a time period with those vs the white. For isntance, I am selling a beater Stetson that has a red liner and was not sure what to put in the description. I did not see that in the Publisform website.

4. Just Daniel

Just Daniel Practically Family

Stetson used red liners in different hats at different times, so it is hard to tell anything just by the color.

This forum has a ton of information, it is just scattered throughout individual posts. The best way to search is to use google with the text:

site:thefedoralounge.com

in the search box. This will conduct your search just for the Fedora lounge. Once I figured this out, I got a lot more use from the Lounge. Otherwise finding info on the forum can be pretty frustrating.

new2hats and Weht like this.
  5. Blare

Blare One Too Many

Here we go....

Three hats... two of them straw... shoved into this little Folgers carton.

wish me luck!!! LOL 81C63A43-068B-4E7A-8AD0-792D04D3043A.jpeg

steur, Tonio, Frunobulax and 6 others like this.
  6. Just A Hat Rack

Just A Hat Rack A-List Customer

Oh, no...

Rumad and Blare like this.
  7. alanfgag

alanfgag

A public service announcement that I have posted before.

When you complete your payment to the eBay vendor, add this message to the seller:

"Many thanks in advance for careful packaging and shipping of this _________ vintage hat." Add your name for a human touch.

Sellers are very anxious to provide a good experience and receive high ratings. You will start receiving beautifully packed boxes beyond your wildest dreams. The quality of the hats inside will still depend on your keen eye.

8. Weht

Weht New in Town

it's not ebay but poshmark is close enough

Attached Files:

9. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

There is an “Other Than Ebay” thread too, but it really doesn’t matter. Looking forward to seeing it on your head.

Blare likes this.
  10. Blare

Blare One Too Many

VICTORY!!! Two Crofut and Knapp Milan braid straws.. and a little Champ short brim with bound edge. Everything held up fine inside it’s little coffee cocoon.

5758566F-A10A-497B-94E0-618C6E1C39E0.jpeg A948F6B3-B4D8-4316-AE01-13B7288EFFBC.jpeg BBC53582-B881-41DB-AFE7-7F2F30ADA494.jpeg

Truth be told... I would have been ok if just these two beautiful ribbon survived! Love em!!

C61648B0-9BC3-4419-BEBF-1F5C9C399C52.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  11. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

Today two beautiful Stetsons showed up (an astonishing St. Regis and a really nice Pinnacle) and I was leaving feedback and culling my Watch List. Enough is enough, you know?
    Somehow, I managed to wander into the Knox section and you know, I have a lot of bowlers and derbies but not a grey one and Free Shipping, hmmm...
    Headed towards my head!
    knox bowler.jpg
    A little lump and bumpy but nothing I can't hammer into shape.

12. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

That's not a bowler.

hatsRme, jlee562, drmaxtejeda and 2 others like this.
  13. steur

steur

That's a very interesting one, Max. Nice find and indeed likely that it was made in Norwalk. Curious what the real colour will look like once you get it.

drmaxtejeda likes this.
  14. steur

steur

Nice catch, Joe. Certainly for the price. It has some more mothing than the auction pics showed, but still a very cool hat.

Blare likes this.
  15. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

Frunbobulax,
    Would you agree that this is a fedora?
    The Pinnacle
    pinnacle.jpg

A black one is en route as well.
    Not quite as nice as that old Flagship I picked up but it will have to do.
    I wasn't sure if I'd care for the brim but yeah, I like it.

Motorcycle season is rapidly approaching so the hats will be put on the back burner.
    It looks like my last Buell is going out the door and Triumph triple number 7 (!) is headed my way.

16. Blare

Blare One Too Many

Those fuzzy ones when you put em at the right light (or wrong I guess). It pops out big time. Not as bad in person.. I enjoy the character of it anyhow. Definitely one you can wear and not worry.

steur likes this.
  17. steur

steur

That is a victory I'd say. Very satisfying if the hats keep coming out of a box like a clown car!

18. Blare

Blare One Too Many

LOL

Héctor Fernández, Rumad and steur like this.
  19. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

WOW! 5,000 Xs!!! Think of how much better this will be than a lowly 7X! And just to set your mind at ease, these are 5,000 Authentic Xs! None of those knockoff Xs here. ;)

DB7B1E28-62BF-490C-9CF8-463E6BBAB35E.jpeg

20. Héctor Fernández

Héctor Fernández One Too Many

I think you should offer about $1300.00 for it, lol.....Don't forget to post the payment transaction, HAHAHAHA!

On a serious note, what's that Brent?

Blare and deadlyhandsome like this.