Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AlanC, Mar 24, 2008.

1. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

A tank of gas in Canada or the USA? Big difference.

JessieJames and Frunobulax like this.
  2. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Not knowledgeable about vintage hats but I do like the few Dobbs I have, generally nice felt. The hat looks great. If I find a hat I am sort of interested in and they ask for offers then shoot an offer. I tend not to low ball as that puts them on the defensive but one that is a number that I am comfortable with. If I get it great but if not then I can walk away clean. If nothing else you will find out if they are motivated. Another tactic is to wait until the day before the listing closes. If no bids or offers they may jump at a late hour offer.

Rmccamey and JessieJames like this.
  3. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Westwards are great hats, and you would really like it. For, your size, however, I think it's overpriced by at least 30%. Especially with that shipping.

JessieJames likes this.
  4. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

JessieJames,
    Yes, I know what you mean but not all of the recent Stetsons are like that.
    My Firenze is on the floppy side and I suspect the Pinnacle will be similar.
    Of my two Saxons one is stiff as a board and one isn't. The stiff one is brand new.

I wonder how much of it has to do with shellac breaking down over time and with actual use?
    It can't all be due to using modern squirrel bedding and belly button lint.

I wasn't around when a lot of my hats were new and if I'm still around in 40 years I won't know what the hell you're talking about!

Rmccamey and JessieJames like this.
  5. JessieJames

JessieJames One of the Regulars

oh good tip! thanks! I'm wondering, just how many silver bellies do I need, this is absolutely the wrong place to ask such a question ha

jlee562 and Scooterz like this.
  6. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Just one more.

Always just one more.

7. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

A tank of regular in a Ford Focus cheap.

I think I know what Stetson is doing with so many of their modern hats by using the old finger micrometer: less material to cut costs, more shellac so they'll hold their shape and, undoubtedly, less concern for the quality of the material as they're making them more rigid so it doesn't really matter.

Not all of their line, of course, but a lot of it.
    It seems the make or break line is currently $200 retail from what I can tell. I'd know more if I lived in NYC or somewhere like that where I could go into JJ Hat Center and poke around a bit.

8. Just Daniel

Just Daniel Practically Family

These are pretty sweet, the Dobbs line also includes 40s, 50s, and 100s but they are quite rare.

The advice on pricing and shipping looks spot on.

Daniel

9. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I have had a few modern Stetsons but have sold them all except for two 150 Anniversary Stetsonians. I had a few Chathams and another who's name escapes me and yes, they were cardboard like felt, stiff as a board. My Stetsonian have wonderful felt but they were a price point above most of the Stetson line. But Stetson put on cheap generic black ribbon work that cheapened the overall look of a $260 hat. Then the tack marks attaching the ribbon were clumsily executed and that too cheapened the look of a really nice hat.

Frunobulax and SteveFord like this.
  10. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Whenever I ask myself the tough question of 'how many of...….do I need.' Invariably the answer comes back...."one more!"

11. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

12. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

I just bought this Antonelli "The Forty". Based on the sweatband "Air Cushioned Confort" and the dense look of the felt I am hoping it was made by MacLachlan.

steur, Blare and Rmccamey like this.
  13. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Stevens 20200225_174517.jpg IMG_20200225_174758_463.jpg IMG_20200225_174758_462.jpg IMG_20200225_174758_461.jpg IMG_20200225_174758_529.jpg IMG_20200225_174758_465.jpg

steur, Bill Hughes, Blare and 7 others like this.
  14. JessieJames

JessieJames One of the Regulars

I wrote them for more information, and there is a tiny stain, not too bad, and a small pinhole I couldn't see in photos.
    She also said it's more of a desaturated type of color, so I'm thinking it might be less yellow than my Stetson so.. hmmm. I don't have a 2.5in brim in my collection

is it a big deal if it's a long oval and I'm a regular?

judging by info I found from https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-fedora-lounge-guide-to-dating-dobbs-hats.76443/
    I'd say the hat is a 1960s maybe even 1970s

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  15. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Call Me a Cab

A couple of very nice ones, Steve.

SteveFord likes this.
  16. Blare

Blare One Too Many

Beautiful hat

17. Blare

Blare One Too Many

When this about 7inch square box showed up containing the $9.95 shipping included Cavanagh hat for a moment I thought.. should I be concerned?

B6845194-8290-4EDE-8A7B-0909A6B66874.jpeg DA9EDF62-FE59-41DE-AE68-B818CC86A761.jpeg

Nahh. Of course not. This fuzzy velour like felt could probably been wadded up and shoved in an envelope and been fine.

C2C7803A-FD99-46C5-94EF-317D2AB5CCB2.jpeg 013137CC-CB0F-4E3E-9DFE-713AEAD46389.jpeg 09825B0A-E429-4A3C-81F0-092106BD24F4.jpeg 3029E3FD-E20C-469E-A093-73937C6674A5.jpeg

So nothing to be concerned about on that cheap shipping....

Hmm... I have three hats coming from a seller that agreed to combine shipping on them... and two are straws.... OK. Time to worry again. LOL

18. new2hats

new2hats One of the Regulars

Its a good thing I read this; I thought that the number was the % of beaver in the felt!!

How does one know if it late 50's? the liner? Arent they better than today's in general?

Rmccamey likes this.
  19. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

There are all sorts of threads here on dating by crests, lot numbers, liners, size tags, etc. it takes some work, but that’s part of the fun.

Frunobulax, Blare and Just Daniel like this.