Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Wow! Wasn’t expecting this one to be so sweet.
Mid/late 50s light weight. Seems to be a bit like a Bantam—with a c-crown and slight creased line down the middle hump.
I’ve ran an iron over the brim while on the flange and steam shaped the crown just a bit to put it back to the original pinches.
In the listing I couldn’t make out the liner tip logo. Just a simple sticker that says Royal Stetson.
The true color is the selfie taken outside. Looks plain gray on the inside pics, but it’s a much more glorious color. A keeper for sure.
2 3/4” brim. 4 1/2” crown. 3/4” ribbon and bow.
11DFFEE2-A372-4DD0-9A54-E1C0725F6977.jpeg
47B749DC-A1B5-4239-9127-4C9B09E00470.jpeg

B69833A2-9AD6-4FC5-B807-424B046157ED.jpeg

Attachments

• CD122ACB-5AEF-4B78-8DA0-5EC1D227DB5A.jpeg
    CD122ACB-5AEF-4B78-8DA0-5EC1D227DB5A.jpeg
    707.1 KB · Views: 40

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Sweet! Some of those Royals can definitely surprise you. Are you sure it is 50s? I guess that is plastic on top? Not an earlier oilskin?

Daniel

Mid/late 50s light weight. Seems to be a bit like a Bantam—with a c-crown and slight creased line down the middle hump.
I’ve ran an iron over the brim while on the flange and steam shaped the crown just a bit to put it back to the original pinches.
In the listing I couldn’t make out the liner tip logo. Just a simple sticker that says Royal Stetson.
The true color is the selfie taken outside. Looks plain gray on the inside pics, but it’s a much more glorious color. A keeper for sure.
View attachment 404411 View attachment 404409

View attachment 404408

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Sweet! Some of those Royals can definitely surprise you. Are you sure it is 50s? I guess that is plastic on top? Not an earlier oilskin?

Daniel
Yes, oil skin, and she has the oil skin sweat blocker behind the sweatband.
However, when I researched the store that sold the hat, it says they opened in 1960. Who knows?
The impressive light weight felt is thin and malleable, but not so thin and soft that it won’t hold a shape. If it wasn’t designated Royal I’d’ve guessed a higher grade. Nice hat.
Here’s my homemade bow and size tag. Never seen Stetson use lavender bows, but looks swell in this hat...and it’s what I had on hand.
Meh, better than nothing.
These pics are so wrong on the color.
This hat has a strong powder blue, in hand.

546DA886-0846-4BFD-9E69-E2D2E2229660.jpeg

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Aha. You got me interested. And hooked!

I saw the 1960 date for JH Browne and Son, but maybe that’s when the son David (or grandson David II, that short info blurb is not clear) took over? Old JH was running it from 1907. I’m not sure when they added “and Son” to the name, but with David born in 1896 I would guess earlier rather than later.

Maybe I’ve got too much lockdown time, but it was a fun dig there through google!

Yes, oil skin, and she has the oil skin sweat blocker behind the sweatband.

However, when I researched the store that sold the hat, it says they opened in 1960. Who knows?
The impressive light weight felt is thin and malleable, but not so thin and soft that it won’t hold a shape. If it wasn’t designated Royal I’d’ve guessed a higher grade. Nice hat.
Here’s my homemade bow and size tag. Never seen Stetson use lavender bows, but looks swell in this hat...and it’s what I had on hand.
Meh, better than nothing.
These pics are so wrong on the color.
This hat has a strong powder blue, in hand.

View attachment 404527

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Aha. You got me interested. And hooked!

I saw the 1960 date for JH Browne and Son, but maybe that’s when the son David (or grandson David II, that short info blurb is not clear) took over? Old JH was running it from 1907. I’m not sure when they added “and Son” to the name, but with David born in 1896 I would guess earlier rather than later.

Maybe I’ve got too much lockdown time, but it was a fun dig there through google!
Wow. That’s some fancy digging ya done! Thanks, Daniel!
Maybe you’re on to something, but it has the slender white paper reorder tag stuck to the crown that indicates mid to late 50s.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

Just Daniel

One Too Many
I came back to say I’m loving the color!

View attachment 404411 View attachment 404409

View attachment 404408
I

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Yes, these are pretty wonderful!

I think the vicuña goes well as a blend, I am not sure 100% vicuña holds up as well with felt hats. It may be the model, but I have a Borsalino vicuña that is less impressive than my Churchills.

The Knox is gone!
Just bought this Churchill 100 Vicuña from the same seller as the Knox 100.
I didn't even take a close look at the pictures. I couldn't BIN fast enough, and I have nimble fingers.
My other one is Silverbelly, and it cost me a whole lot more.
The felt on these is to die for. View attachment 404764 View attachment 404765 View attachment 404766 View attachment 404767 View attachment 404768 View attachment 404769 View attachment 404770 View attachment 404771 View attachment 404772

Just Daniel

One Too Many
I don’t have one of the $1000 hats, my version is a longer hair hat from the 60s. The sweatband is labeled vicuña, but I can’t say that it is particularly soft or impressive. I don’t think it is the color, because it is a much darker brown than natural vicuña.

I wish I had a Borsalino Vicuña. It's been on my list and no bites

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I am glad the doc got them both. It kills my soul to sell these two rare items. But I am in bad financial shape right now and just have no choice but to sell. Wish I never had to because these two hats are amazing.
Hi, Louis! I didn't know it was you. I only got the Churchill, because I have the exact same Knox 100 with its case in size 7 3/8.

RBH

Bartender
Defeat. :(

Based on the seller’s photos I thought I might have something nice. It was listed as a 7 5/8 and based on the label in the felt it was made by Stetson. The hat arrived and it’s a 7 3/8 and the Stetson label was in a plastic baggie and clearly didn’t belong to the hat. The felt was disappointing too. It’s going back.

View attachment 404797 View attachment 404798 View attachment 404799 View attachment 404800 View attachment 404801

Tom Hirt is a Hatter that I have heard of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo