Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
The few Imperial's I've seen are Canadian. Any such markings on that one, Brent? Here is my chocolate brown Aquanized Imperial.

20191030_110800.jpg 20191030_110827.jpg 20191030_110920.jpg

I’ve seen a few of these over the years, and I think I might have owned one once, but my curiosity got the better of me again. A modern Stetson Sovereign “Ultimate Finish.”

View attachment 409950 View attachment 409951

I’ll see if their definition of “ultimate” is the same as mine.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
You think that one may have been made by MacLachlin?
I am not sure. Both brands say Danbury, Conn, both felts feel about the same, and I think I remember master @alanfgag saying there was a connection between them, but I am not sure what it was. Maybe it was that Frank Stack had his hats made by MacLachlan.
Maybe Alan will tell us. Damn, Alan is good. Have you seen one of his TED talks, Joe?

Niiiiice! Just one size too big though. I believe the story was that they were a jobber manufacturer, making hats under various storebrand names, their own brand and on occasion for MacLachlan too.

Last edited:
Niiiiice! Just one size too big though. I believe the story was that they were a jobber manufacturer, making hats under various storebrand names, their own brand and on occasion for MacLachlan too.
I am not well versed in MacLachlan but I believe that they made hats under private label as well as under their own brand. Frank Stack was affiliated with Hat Corporation of America for many years before founding a (short lived) company under his own name. Your hat @drmaxtejeda looks to have the same cushion vented construction in the front (not well shown in the photos but I think it is there) which was a signature manufacturing technique of MacLachlan. When you get it, the label should provide clues as well.

I am not well versed in MacLachlan but I believe that they made hats under private label as well as under their own brand. Frank Stack was affiliated with Hat Corporation of America for many years before founding a (short lived) company under his own name. Your hat @drmaxtejeda looks to have the same cushion vented construction in the front (not well shown in the photos but I think it is there) which was a signature manufacturing technique of MacLachlan. When you get it, the label should provide clues as well.
Ah, so I got it backwards: MacLachlan made hats under the Stack brand name instead of the other way around.

The size tag had me thinking MacLachlan.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, Alan!

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Nice find, Max. So far Gelot is the one out of the six "grands chapeliers" of Paris that hasn't lived up to its reputation in my experience. Not because of the felt, but because of the finishing.

View attachment 411574
Ah! I will take a close look when I get it, Stefan! If it disappoints, I will write a nasty letter to the French embassy in Mexico City.:)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner