Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Pre-1930s Clear Nutria blond longhair Stetson. Goodwill auction, so no size given. I thought it would go for over 1000, but went for 343, so I was surprised I won it.
I can't see any clear moth activity in the seller's pics, but I will be surprised if there aren't any.
Screenshot_20220320-194125_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220320-193400_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20220320-193329_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20220320-193307_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20220320-193254_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20220320-193220_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20220320-193151_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20220320-193138_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20220320-193053_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20220320-193039_eBay.jpg

Pre-1930s Clear Nutria blond longhair Stetson. Goodwill auction, so no size given. I thought it would go for over 1000, but went for 343, so I was surprised I won it.
I can't see any clear moth activity in the seller's pics, but I will be surprised if there aren't any. View attachment 411832 View attachment 411833 View attachment 411834 View attachment 411835 View attachment 411836 View attachment 411837 View attachment 411838 View attachment 411839 View attachment 411840 View attachment 411841
Wow, what a thing! Congrats, Max. Curious to see what size it'll be.

I can't see any clear moth activity in the seller's pics, but I will be surprised if there aren't any. View attachment 411832 View attachment 411833 View attachment 411834 View attachment 411835 View attachment 411836 View attachment 411837 View attachment 411838 View attachment 411839 View attachment 411840 View attachment 411841

Wow, impressive. Can't wait it see it all brushed and spiffed up.

Nice piece of history right there...............

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
Hi Friends, too long! Between just these past days crossing finish line on a 6 month, too-the-studs renovation of our upstairs apartment (of which I'll never .. ever .. tackle a project like this again), and gigs coming back, I haven't had time to play hats. Hope all you geezers are well!

I am pretty sure what size it will become, Stefan!:)

I saw this one! Congrats Dr Max, what an incredible Stetson ! Since you're not sure of size who knows what's needed for a fit and I realize you didn't ask so I hope you don't mind an opinion but personally, I'd be really ... reallllly ... reluctant to alter that gorgeous survivor. That reed, that "V" stitching? It's only original once so tread softly and enjoy in good health!

Happy spring y'all,
M

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Hi Friends, too long! Between just these past days crossing finish line on a 6 month, too-the-studs renovation of our upstairs apartment (of which I'll never .. ever .. tackle a project like this again), and gigs coming back, I haven't had time to play hats. Hope all you geezers are well!

I saw this one! Congrats Dr Max, what an incredible Stetson ! Since you're not sure of size who knows what's needed for a fit and I realize you didn't ask so I hope you don't mind an opinion but personally, I'd be really ... reallllly ... reluctant to alter that gorgeous survivor. That reed, that "V" stitching? It's only original once so tread softly and enjoy in good health!

Happy spring y'all,
M
Thank you!
You know, I have thought a lot on the subject, having altered many hats, and restored many others...
I hope you don't think of what I am about to say as a justification, because I don't intend it as such, but here goes:

The only hats I have altered that cannot be put back to their original size are the ones I have downsized, because I have had to take out pieces of the sweatband and the ribbon, but all of those downsized hats have been modern, simply because I haven't found vintage hats larger than 7 3/8.
All of the upsized hats can be downsized to their original state by removing the leather Ignacio added to the back of the sweatband, and reblocking. The only sweatbands and ribbons I have completely discarded were shot anyway.
The unreeded sweatbands in hats that were downsized and whose stitches weren't separated from the felt already were left stitched as they were, and a piece of leather hand-sewn to the back.
Besides, all of the hats I have bought, except the ones acquired directly from Optimo, have been thoroughly cleaned, and since most of them needed reblocking anyway, I feel my hats, altered or not, are in better shape than they were when I received them.
I hope that make sense. :)

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I forgot to say that I am especially proud of the way I restored my two best, and coincidentally rarest, hats.
They are a MacLachlan Golden Beaver Hundred and a Stetson Ermine.
The sweatband on the Mac was stiff, warped, and brittle, and the felt was badly stained. I talked to Graham Thompson on the phone, and he agreed to restore it.
He made a new sweatband, had special dies made to duplicate the MacLachlan crest and markings, and cleaned and reblocked it perfectly. He also found a perfect, period-correct ribbon for it. It took about two months to make the dies and restore the rest.
The Ermine was very moldy and smelly, so Graham had a dry-cleaner friend of his put it in an ozone chamber for 7 weeks, cleaned it almost perfectly (there is one stubborn stain that is still a little noticeable), and added a piece of leather perfectly hand-stitched to the back.
Both hats were unwearable, and now they are not.
Heck, I am not ashamed of altering those hats. I am proud!

Last edited:
Thank you!
You know, I have thought a lot on the subject, having altered many hats, and restored many others...
I hope you don't think of what I am about to say as a justification, because I don't intend it as such, but here goes:

The only hats I have altered that cannot be put back to their original size are the ones I have downsized, because I have had to take out pieces of the sweatband and the ribbon, but all of those downsized hats have been modern, simply because I haven't found vintage hats larger than 7 3/8.
All of the upsized hats can be downsized to their original state by removing the leather Ignacio added to the back of the sweatband, and reblocking. The only sweatbands and ribbons I have completely discarded were shot anyway.
The unreeded sweatbands in hats that were downsized and whose stitches weren't separated from the felt already were left stitched as they were, and a piece of leather hand-sewn to the back.
Besides, all of the hats I have bought, except the ones acquired directly from Optimo, have been thoroughly cleaned, and since most of them needed reblocking anyway, I feel my hats, altered or not, are in better shape than they were when I received them.
I hope that make sense. :)

I forgot to say that I am especially proud of the way I restored my two best, and coincidentally rarest, hats.
They are a MacLachlan Golden Beaver Hundred and a Stetson Ermine.
The sweatband on the Mac was stiff, warped, and brittle, and the felt was badly stained. I talked to Graham Thompson on the phone, and he agreed to restore it.
He made a new sweatband, had special dies made to duplicate the MacLachlan crest and markings, and cleaned and reblocked it perfectly. He also found a perfect, period-correct ribbon for it. It took about two months to make the dies and restore the rest.
The Ermine was very moldy and smelly, so Graham had a dry-cleaner friend of his put it in an ozone chamber for 7 weeks, cleaned it almost perfectly (there is one stubborn stain that is still a little noticeable), and added a piece of leather perfectly hand-stitched to the back.
Both hats were unwearable, and now they are not.
Heck, I am not ashamed of altering those hats. I am proud!

I have been critical of you in the past regarding this. Although I don't agree completely, you make excellent points.

Plus, they're your hats.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Just purchased this Imperial.
Can anyone tell me anything about the unusual—to me—size adjustable sweatband in this 7 1/8 bowler?
Is this one of them fancy horse jumping safety hard hats?
Hope not, but I’m afraid it is.

Last edited:

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Defeat. This bowler turned out to be a size 6 7/8. Clearly written on the size tag which was covered up by the ribbon, except for part of an eight I could make out. After asking if it was an 1/8 fraction or 7/8 fraction, I also asked the seller what the tag said and she danced around that giving me false measurements of the circumference and even added that she bought it for herself and that she was a 7 1/8. Not.
It’ll be going back for a refund unless someone here wants it for the same reason I did. Has a unique sizable silk and leather sweatband and it’s an Imperial grade Stetson.
I’d sell it to someone here, if inquiry comes soon, for the same price I have in it, plus shipping. $61

Attachments

• 5C3CFD59-5DC4-4659-8562-49328313ED4E.jpeg
    5C3CFD59-5DC4-4659-8562-49328313ED4E.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 43
  • C3F6EE1D-D94D-49A8-A944-4E4DE6C7B2E7.jpeg
    C3F6EE1D-D94D-49A8-A944-4E4DE6C7B2E7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
  • 6C55736B-3D15-430D-BBB6-F676854B19D7.jpeg
    6C55736B-3D15-430D-BBB6-F676854B19D7.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 44
I had a new experience with the auction of that Wellema I recently picked up. There was a bidder (using different accounts with zero or a single negative review) bidding $999 or $9,999 and then cancelling the bids every couple of days. I think they were trying to flesh out a competing bidder's maximum bid. It was really annoying as the high bid would be over $200, then drop back to $52. The last account they used (with only a "non payment" review) was winning up until the last second until an experienced and well reviewed bidder won ... thankfully.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner