Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

BrianB

New in Town
Good evening gentlemen, I just spotted this Champ bowler listed on eBay in my size, and I’m wondering if it’s a good deal. It seems like an older hat with nice felt, but I’m not sure of the quality of Champ hats. They only included these two photos, and they’re asking for $36 total with shipping. I thought it would be a good question to ask you experienced members about the market value for a rather unique hat like this. Also, it would be quite interesting if anyone could pinpoint a general date for this hat. Thanks for your input.
Brian

Attachments

• A2E48A1F-25D2-404C-843A-68E28810AF0D.jpeg
    A2E48A1F-25D2-404C-843A-68E28810AF0D.jpeg
    352.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 1C3D99E0-1EDF-45F8-B10B-8794E0C561D8.jpeg
    1C3D99E0-1EDF-45F8-B10B-8794E0C561D8.jpeg
    426.5 KB · Views: 66

BrianB

New in Town
There isn’t anything “basic” about that hat. If it had been my size I would have gone higher. Hundreds of people spend over $1,000 on custom western hats every year. This is a special Stetson that I’d much rather have than a modern custom. As for scarcity, I’ve never seen one in my size and darn few in any size and most of those weren’t for sale.
Very interesting. Thanks for the information, Alan and Brent. For a collector I understand the steep price, especially since it’s in great condition for surviving nearly a hundred years in storage.

Good evening gentlemen, I just spotted this Champ bowler listed on eBay in my size, and I’m wondering if it’s a good deal. It seems like an older hat with nice felt, but I’m not sure of the quality of Champ hats. They only included these two photos, and they’re asking for $36 total with shipping. I thought it would be a good question to ask you experienced members about the market value for a rather unique hat like this. Also, it would be quite interesting if anyone could pinpoint a general date for this hat. Thanks for your input.
Brian

Are you sure it’s a derby and not a homburg? It looks like it could go either way.

It’s not an older one. I’d say 1950s at most and possibly newer. The older hats are almost always better. Champ was a bargain brand, but some of their hats are quite nice. I’d say it’s worth $36, but unless you have a large head you could probably get a nicer one with some patience.

Depending on size, you can usually pick up pristine bowlers/derbies very reasonably. Many here prefer the D’Orsay curled brim edges common in the older hats. What size are you?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
That is a nice hat and would be a great entry into wearing bowlers if it is your size...and you can probably get your money back if you decided to sell it later! The pleated liner is a nice addition, but it is not an old hat. As Brent mentioned, there are some bargains to be found if you have patience, particularly in smaller sizes. And, as also mentioned, a D'Orsay curled brim is one of the primary characteristics of vintage bowlers. Generally speaking, a D'Orsay curl is a curl that is very abbreviated on the front and back that rolls over to a wide and heavy curl on the sides. Wide bound brim curls, like on the hat you are considering, that are the same size around the circumference of the brim are more often associated with homburgs.

Check out the Bowler thread for a lot of great examples.

Welcome to the wonderful world of bowlers.

20230418_083450.jpg 20221213_112034.jpg 20211026_064535.jpg 20230418_084548.jpg

Brian

BrianB

New in Town
Brent and Randy, thanks for your thoughts about this hat. I wasn’t particularly fond of the hat’s color and style, yet thought it was a steal so I thought it could be a good flip. I was not aware of the D’Orsay brim curl, so I‘m glad I know what to look for in a classic bowler style. I’m a solid size 7 1/4, and I’m particularly fond of classic fedoras and homburgs. Actually, right now I’m searching for a nice rabbit or beaver light brown fedora, so hopefully a nice one will turn up on eBay. Thanks again.
Brian

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brian
I like Champ hats. I have one in my collection. I would place this hat in the 60S at the oldest. For American hats a black sweatband is almost always 60s or newer.

Below is a thread link about Champ hats. Most brands have dedicated threads. It's a good place to date hats by liners, sweatbands, and tags. Bowlers (derbies) and homburgs generally go for less than fedoras. Research is your best investment. Luckily it only requires time and no money.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/uncontested-the-champ.38296/

wsmontana

A-List Customer
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4042881662...can0sdqtpg&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

A bowler with a straw liner?!!!? And…Why?
I wrote the seller and she confirmed that it is and sent me more pics.
I’ve never heard of, or seen this, have y’all?
I’d buy it if closer to my size just because it seems so unusual, to me. View attachment 517255
I wonder if this could be a riding hat/helmet and the straw provides some structure to hold some padding against the felt?

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
I wonder if this could be a riding hat/helmet and the straw provides some structure to hold some padding against the felt?
I considered that possibility and it may be so, but doesn’t have the look of one of them heavy things. Seller says it’s light weight in the description. She has another P&C for sale that looks just like it, but has the typical silk liner.

wsmontana

A-List Customer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk