Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Yikes, I had no clue that this guy was a scam artist, or at least dishonest. Good to know for possible future purchases—although I probably wouldn‘t have purchased anything from him to begin with given his very high prices!

Yow! I can’t vouch for how rare or old it is, but that’s an outrageous price for a basic black Stetson like that. I wonder what our experienced hat enthusiasts have to say about its true value.

Brian
Oh, it's old, and it's rare, but come on! Prices have gone up so much I am starting to think all the money I've spent on my collection has been an investment of sorts.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Yikes, I had no clue that this guy was a scam artist, or at least dishonest. Good to know for possible future purchases—although I probably wouldn‘t have purchased anything from him to begin with given his very high prices!

Yow! I can’t vouch for how rare or old it is, but that’s an outrageous price for a basic black Stetson like that. I wonder what our experienced hat enthusiasts have to say about its true value.

Brian
Those Kevin McAndrews are selling at eBay for about 40 bucks, Brian. Besides overpricing and "overaging" his hats, the guy very often uses fhe words "Whippet", "Open Road" , "Stratoliner", etc., on his listings to attract searches. I have reported him to eBay many times, but they don't seem to do anything about it.

Those Kevin McAndrews are selling at eBay for about 40 bucks, Brian. Besides overpricing and "overaging" his hats, the guy very often uses fhe words "Whippet", "Open Road" , "Stratoliner", etc., on his listings to attract searches. I have reported him to eBay many times, but they don't seem to do anything about it.

Size makes a big difference. If it had been in 7 ⅝ or 7 ¾ it would have been a lot more than $40.

Shot in the dark. If nothing else I can use the hat as a donor felt for a project.

6998B0F7-F217-478C-84B0-8A3898EB5D05.jpeg
E07792EE-F3B1-45C8-8471-65E976D45000.jpeg
E8D443B1-E956-465A-9531-88B6BEB87086.jpeg
BF11D844-9579-45A7-BCA1-DEAA746CE9C2.jpeg

Brian
The hat is described accurately - first decade or second decade of the 20th century. Two bidders were willing to go higher than $700 which is not outrageous in my opinion if you are interested in early Stetson hats. They do not come around every day.

Brian

There isn’t anything “basic” about that hat. If it had been my size I would have gone higher. Hundreds of people spend over $1,000 on custom western hats every year. This is a special Stetson that I’d much rather have than a modern custom. As for scarcity, I’ve never seen one in my size and darn few in any size and most of those weren’t for sale.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto