Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
If you're right, that would be the first 100 in any style other than OR that I've seen. I know they could have done it when the hat was ordered, but it could have been converted at any time between purchase and auction.

Stephen L. Stetson 7 1/8 with another wild bow treatment
!BQ3wIk!BGk~$(KGrHgoH-DoEjlLlzR(4BJ7KY,Tzjg~~_1.JPG
!BQ3wMiQ!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-E!EjlLlyKFGBJ7KYoBSWw~~_1.JPG

New in Town
billyspew said:
I was (slightly annoyingly) sniped on this one, wasn't willing to go higher because of the stain on the ribbon.

If this is wrong section please for give and advise me. The playboy looks a lot like the hat in my avatar. Thought was an older Open Road. With awider brim it is a playboy and not an Open Road. Any other difference between the two?

billyspew yeah bad stain. Let me know if want to sell. Like to buy one in 7 1/8. Some 7 1/4 with a bit of napkin under the sweat ban helps.

Is there another way to shrink a hat size?

billyspew

One Too Many
1917 said:
If this is wrong section please for give and advise me. The playboy looks a lot like the hat in my avatar. Thought was an older Open Road. With awider brim it is a playboy and not an Open Road. Any other difference between the two?

billyspew yeah bad stain. Let me know if want to sell. Like to buy one in 7 1/8. Some 7 1/4 with a bit of napkin under the sweat ban helps.

Is there another way to shrink a hat size?

From the picture it does look more like an Open Road style.
Try having a look at the Akubra Campdraft... it is essentially an Open Road by another name.

You can find some threads about shrinking hats by using the search feature (yes it's not great but it does get you there).

New in Town
billyspew said:
From the picture it does look more like an Open Road style.
Try having a look at the Akubra Campdraft... it is essentially an Open Road by another name.

You can find some threads about shrinking hats by using the search feature (yes it's not great but it does get you there).

Well belt and braces. Cheers

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
1917 said:
Lefty congrats on the buys. Couple of those I bid on yesterday just not enough. Do you sell hats?

I don't buy much of anything very often. These are posted as items of interest.

m000m000

One of the Regulars
ScottF said:
Question - what was so special about the following Cavanagh? If it were in the same condition but not restored, how would that have affected the price?

Cavanagh restored by Optimo

http://i11.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/3d/c0/86db_3.JPG

Lefty said:
To me, a rebuilt hat has far less value than an original, so I think the price is crazy. I like the markings on the sweat, the old ribbon, etc.

However, the buyer probably saw one of the best names in hats, in a large and long oval size, with a sweat and ribbon that were certain to be in great condition.

A bit late to the reply, but that hat was picked up by me.

Yes, I do agree the price was kind of steep in the end, and I was really jonesing wether I should go for it or not before finally taking the plunge, but all doubt I ever had about the purchased vanished the instant I got the thing in my hands - It simply is an absolutley pristine piece of headwear, and if you didn't know better you'd think it was made yesterday (...except of course, they don't make hats like these anymore :p). The fit is perfect, the felt is deliciously supple - and I have a new personal favourite hat.

And of course, compared to contemporary alternatives, it's a bargain.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
m000m000 said:
A bit late to the reply, but that hat was picked up by me.

Yes, I do agree the price was kind of steep in the end, and I was really jonesing wether I should go for it or not before finally taking the plunge, but all doubt I ever had about the purchased vanished the instant I got the thing in my hands - It simply is an absolutley pristine piece of headwear, and if you didn't know better you'd think it was made yesterday (...except of course, they don't make hats like these anymore :p). The fit is perfect, the felt is deliciously supple - and I have a new personal favourite hat.

I'm glad to hear it turned out so good for you. Like others have said, when you figure the cost of a new hat, it's really a bargain. I'm contemplating sending a couple to Optimo myself.

m000m000 said:
... It simply is an absolutley pristine piece of headwear, and if you didn't know better you'd think it was made yesterday (...except of course, they don't make hats like these anymore :p). The fit is perfect, the felt is deliciously supple - and I have a new personal favourite hat.

Well stated. I sent a vintage Open Road to Optimo that was in good shape except no liner & the sweatband was gone. I now have a very nice lid although the liner & sweatband are generic & don't contribute to the value of the hat at all. I probably will never sell it & wear it frequently, so the Optimo fees gave me, as you say, a hat the looks like it was made yesterday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic