Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dobbs Rainbow

DobbsRainbow.jpg

DobbsRainbowLiner.jpg

dobbshat.jpg

Just picked this up on an inexpensive BIN... 7 3/8 I couldn't resist. :eek:

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:
Yeah, I remember that too.

I get to put my money where my mouth is now - BIN'd this Borsalino. I have two very similar ones that were very easy to clean up, so fingers are crossed. The seller sent me a pic of the interior and assured me that it had no damage other than the stains in the pic. Also, size label looked like 3/8 in the pic he sent me, not 3/4. We'll see - a little gamble.

Ratty Borsalino on ebay

Just received this nice Allesandro today. Turned out to be a 7 3/8 after all, and a perfect fit. Most of the stains came off with the back of a butter knife. Sweat and liner are almost flawless. Steam and a bash:

BorsAssFront.jpg

BorsAssSide.jpg

BorsAssLiner.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
carter said:
That's a great looking Borso, Scott! Nicely done. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks Carter - I was lusting after yours when this one dropped in.

Boodles

A-List Customer
Please tell us more about the butter knife technique

Sir: I cannot imagine how that works. Wonderful Borso you have now.

ScottF said:
Just received this nice Allesandro today. Turned out to be a 7 3/8 after all, and a perfect fit. Most of the stains came off with the back of a butter knife. Sweat and liner are almost flawless. Steam and a bash:

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Boodles said:
Sir: I cannot imagine how that works. Wonderful Borso you have now.

Thanks, Boodles. I read in "Scientific Hat Refinishing..." about using the back of a knife (I think) to rub out dried stain material. I did a couple of passes with the back of a butterknife because it was dull, and I didn't want to dig out felt. Then I used the back of a pair of scissors (sharper) to get more of it, then finished with my fingernail and a lot of brushing. There are still a few spots, but it it now presentable.

For ribbons, I have been rubbing a very small amount of water, with the grain, with a cloth, then rubbing it lightly with a dry cloth to dry and blend any possible stain. It's worked well so far.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jonbuilder said:
I picked up the stretcher for about the price of a clean and reblock at Otimo with shipping. I plan to post results in one of the threads dealing with stretching or stretchers
The odd thing about this one is the middle "slice".
never seen a stretcher with one of those. Can't really
figure out what it's used for.

carter

I'll Lock Up
AARGH! Did someone here win this one?

This 7 1/2 Dobbs Gamebird was listed in an auction that was to end several days from now. The sender ended the auction early for $55.00 BIN.
I offered $50.00 BIN yesterday but didn't recheck the listing until a few minutes ago. I had a message from the seller that they thought $50.00 was a bit low. Had they waited a tad longer, I'd have paid considerably more than $55.00.
And so it goes. :eusa_doh: [huh]

dobbs2.jpg
dobbs8.jpg

Razzman

One Too Many
I was me! I really didn't think I would end up winning the lot. I'm sure there are duplicates in the buch. I'll post a better picture after they arrive.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Mayser & more

Ok, so this is my second attempt at posting - and I swear: this time all auctions are closed - and I'm the winner!

Here are a few hats I scored over the past couple of weeks on eBay Germany. I have no idea how old they actually are. The Moretti and the Peschel both look pretty old, judging by the liners, but I really don't know.

Let's start with a Mayser, 56 cm. Very nice and soft, almost velour-like felt. Came in at 11 €.

Mayser-1.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
The hatband on this one says it's from a company called Atlanta...does that name ring a bell with you? The liner tells me it's Extra-Super...of course! ;) Again, very soft felt quality here. Went for 4,99 €.

Atlanta.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
And to finish things off, a very stingy lid from Hut-Seidl in Munich, scored for 1,50 €. With this one, the felt is pretty stiff.

All in all, I figure that I was pretty lucky those last couple of weeks. :)

Seidl.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes