Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AlanC, Mar 24, 2008.

1. M_Jones

M_Jones One of the Regulars

Thanks for the well wishes and if I do find such a hat I will be sure to thank you personally.;)

2. M_Jones

That's the thing I AM going nuts! It was a few weeks ago but I am still furious! :rage:

Sheesh, I guess I need to take a step back and realize that it is only a hat. A beautiful, grey, large-sized hat....:p

3. M_Jones

It's okay, the military offers free therapy. :) Hi, my name is Hollis and I'm here because I lost a vintage hat to a horrible eBay store and FedEx shipping...:rolleyes:

The Portis has a black sweatband but it also has some of the most amazing felt I have ever handled. Well, to be honest I have one trick left up my sleeve and if it ends up working like designed I will come out happy. We shall see...

Thank you all for the sympathy, I appreciate it.

4. Bull Moose

Bull Moose Familiar Face

5. AlanC

AlanC My Mail is Forwarded Here

Not a hat, but I'm really thrilled with the possibilities of this. It's a 'Travel-Master' double hat case complete with key. I've been wanting a hat travel case, and had resigned myself to getting one of those cowboy cases. If this one is as advertised it ought to be better. I do weep at the nogas that had to give up their hides to make it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Very nice Travel Master!

7. Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty My Mail is Forwarded Here

Mr. Jones, I feel your pain. I am shortly about to open not one, but two dispute cases on ebay against the same seller for selling me stuff that was cr*p.

Anyway, you can open dispute cases against both of these sellers, to make sure you get your money back, even though we both know that isn't what you want.

Re: the first auction. I've dealt with that seller, and they are a bit rough around the edges. On a good note, they aren't too bad on the phone, if you are a bit patient with the fact that they are busy and running a retail location when you call. Have you tried calling them? That worked for me, and we both were happy with the phone call.

Just my .02.

Vintage Betty

8. toobacat

toobacat One of the Regulars

Vintage Betty,
    Do you know if you can get your shipping cost back too when you open an ebay dispute.

9. Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty My Mail is Forwarded Here

:eek:fftopic: It varies. Sometimes, you get sellers who kick it back for mistakes. But if you have to go to a dispute for a seller who won't respond, don't count on it.

Tip (which I forgot to follow for one of my two auctions :eusa_doh:):

Keep your Paypal account empty, and pay by credit card via Paypal. This way, call your credit card company and let them dispute with Paypal for you, since Paypal Dispute Resolution Services S*CK. I've never won anything back using Paypal Dispute Resolution Services services :rage: , but won every dispute with my credit card company vs Paypal. :D

Vintage Betty

10. Tango Yankee

Tango Yankee Call Me a Cab

That's terrific, Alan! I like the inserts and the instructions.

I, too, wanted something to carry a hat or two in. I have one of those plastic cowboy hat carriers, but it's a bit unwieldy and takes up a lot of space in the trunk. I managed to score a case (with key! :p ) for a Knox One Hundred. It doesn't have an insert of any type, but I'll figure something out. ;)

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Tom

11. KY Gentleman

KY Gentleman One Too Many

I won a Borsalino 7 3/4 about a week ago. I haven't received it yet but I am REALLY excited about it. It was listed as being in excellent condition and I'm pretty stoked up about it!

12. AlanC

^Tom, I was the other bidder on that Knox case. lol

Glad to see it went to a good home. The pictures I've seen of the Stetson 100 case had a clear plastic insert, but I'd think you could rig up something good.

13. indycop

indycop I'll Lock Up

I am guessing it will get some use come August 1!:D

14. AlanC

Could be... :whistling

15. GI Joe

GI Joe Familiar Face

16. AlanC

^ I watched that one--congratulations! If it's anything like my Churchill (see the Open Road Guild thread) it will be fairly stiff. You'll need to wet it down to rebash. Sharp hat, though.

17. GI Joe

GI Joe Familiar Face

Actually, Alan, I'm planning on leaving it just as in the pictures. I like a more western look in hats but I have my eye on a nice traditional fedora, too.

18. MississippiLong

MississippiLong One of the Regulars

19. PhilS

PhilS One of the Regulars

20. AlanC

^I was watching that one, too. Seeing the winning bidder I strongly suspect we may see that hat again.