Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
Spellflower said:
M Jones, that is rough! My heart goes out to you. I hope the hat gods bless you soon and you find a 1940 Borsalino in your size at a thrift store which the lady at the desk gives you for $9 because it's so out of fashion these days.

Thanks for the well wishes and if I do find such a hat I will be sure to thank you personally.;)

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
AlanC said:
Wow. Great hat; great price. I'd be going nuts. :(

That's the thing I AM going nuts! It was a few weeks ago but I am still furious! :rage:

Sheesh, I guess I need to take a step back and realize that it is only a hat. A beautiful, grey, large-sized hat....:p

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
tonyb said:
Oh Jones, that's just so, so sad. Both tales, really. I'd be more than a bit disappointed were I mixed up in any of that. Heck, I'm disappointed just to hear about it. That Borsalino looked to be a real find. And how could someone think for a minute that a 6 7/8 is even remote close to a 7 1/2?

It's okay, the military offers free therapy. :) Hi, my name is Hollis and I'm here because I lost a vintage hat to a horrible eBay store and FedEx shipping...:rolleyes:

The Portis has a black sweatband but it also has some of the most amazing felt I have ever handled. Well, to be honest I have one trick left up my sleeve and if it ends up working like designed I will come out happy. We shall see...

Thank you all for the sympathy, I appreciate it.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not a hat, but I'm really thrilled with the possibilities of this. It's a 'Travel-Master' double hat case complete with key. I've been wanting a hat travel case, and had resigned myself to getting one of those cowboy cases. If this one is as advertised it ought to be better. I do weep at the nogas that had to give up their hides to make it.

116375521oqx5.jpg

116375870oyo1.jpg

116375674oew3.jpg

Vintage Betty

M_Jones said:
Gee, where to start?

Well I won this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120228562119&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=002
on March 8th and after a few days I noticed it wasn't progressing on its journey to me. (In fact it never left New York) To make a long, sad, story short FedEx lost the package, "diligently" searched for it and now just wants to issue a refund (which the seller has to initiate). The bummer is that the seller couldn't care less about the whole situation and answers very vaguely to my emails. I WOULD RATHER HAVE THE HAT THAN THE MONEY!!!!! :rage: :rage: :rage: If any of you New Yorkers see a guy wearing this lid please beat him senseless and shoot me a PM if you please. :cool:

To ease my pain I bid and won this beautiful Portis
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190204482228&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=009
only to see that it is a 6 7/8 not a 7 1/2 :rage: The seller also has yet to respond to inquiries regarding the return of the hat!

Lastly, the amazingly beautiful Oviatt I won recently is not as the seller described and my emails have gone mostly unanswered. I was offered the option of sending it back for a refund minus shipping and any and all eBay fees but that is it. The flaws aren't enough for me to want to give the hat back (perhaps flaw is too strong a word) but at the same time I spent an insane amount of money on this hat. :mad:

Excuse me while I go explode....

Mr. Jones, I feel your pain. I am shortly about to open not one, but two dispute cases on ebay against the same seller for selling me stuff that was cr*p.

Anyway, you can open dispute cases against both of these sellers, to make sure you get your money back, even though we both know that isn't what you want.

Re: the first auction. I've dealt with that seller, and they are a bit rough around the edges. On a good note, they aren't too bad on the phone, if you are a bit patient with the fact that they are busy and running a retail location when you call. Have you tried calling them? That worked for me, and we both were happy with the phone call.

Just my .02.

Vintage Betty

toobacat

One of the Regulars
Vintage Betty said:
Mr. Jones, I feel your pain. I am shortly about to open not one, but two dispute cases on ebay against the same seller for selling me stuff that was cr*p.

Anyway, you can open dispute cases against both of these sellers, to make sure you get your money back, even though we both know that isn't what you want.

Re: the first auction. I've dealt with that seller, and they are a bit rough around the edges. On a good note, they aren't too bad on the phone, if you are a bit patient with the fact that they are busy and running a retail location when you call. Have you tried calling them? That worked for me, and we both were happy with the phone call.

Just my .02.

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty,
Do you know if you can get your shipping cost back too when you open an ebay dispute.

Vintage Betty

toobacat said:
Vintage Betty,
Do you know if you can get your shipping cost back too when you open an ebay dispute.

:eek:fftopic: It varies. Sometimes, you get sellers who kick it back for mistakes. But if you have to go to a dispute for a seller who won't respond, don't count on it.

Tip (which I forgot to follow for one of my two auctions :eusa_doh:):

Keep your Paypal account empty, and pay by credit card via Paypal. This way, call your credit card company and let them dispute with Paypal for you, since Paypal Dispute Resolution Services S*CK. I've never won anything back using Paypal Dispute Resolution Services services :rage: , but won every dispute with my credit card company vs Paypal. :D

Vintage Betty

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
AlanC said:
Not a hat, but I'm really thrilled with the possibilities of this. It's a 'Travel-Master' double hat case complete with key.

That's terrific, Alan! I like the inserts and the instructions.

I, too, wanted something to carry a hat or two in. I have one of those plastic cowboy hat carriers, but it's a bit unwieldy and takes up a lot of space in the trunk. I managed to score a case (with key! :p ) for a Knox One Hundred. It doesn't have an insert of any type, but I'll figure something out. ;)

d9b9_1.JPG

Cheers,
Tom

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I won a Borsalino 7 3/4 about a week ago. I haven't received it yet but I am REALLY excited about it. It was listed as being in excellent condition and I'm pretty stoked up about it!

AlanC

^Tom, I was the other bidder on that Knox case. lol

Glad to see it went to a good home. The pictures I've seen of the Stetson 100 case had a clear plastic insert, but I'd think you could rig up something good.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
AlanC said:
Not a hat, but I'm really thrilled with the possibilities of this. It's a 'Travel-Master' double hat case complete with key. I've been wanting a hat travel case, and had resigned myself to getting one of those cowboy cases. If this one is as advertised it ought to be better. I do weep at the nogas that had to give up their hides to make it.
I am guessing it will get some use come August 1!:D

AlanC

^ I watched that one--congratulations! If it's anything like my Churchill (see the Open Road Guild thread) it will be fairly stiff. You'll need to wet it down to rebash. Sharp hat, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points