Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
ideaguy said:
Seems like the practice of scattering goods all over eBay is not a mistake, but pretty well crafted, and eBay doesn't give a hoot-these guys spend a lot in listing fees...

I know what you mean, Ideaguy. My saved searches are made up of so many key words I don't want in ads that I use up all the key-word space available! I've got up to 40 key words that are used to preclude those ads from showing up.

As for Rilico's ads, they've been discussed before. Some don't like the different stories he's crafted to sell his hats, but I've enjoyed them and I think most do as well. They're certainly more entertaining than my own mostly "just the facts" approach, and I'm sure they contribute greatly to his apparently high sell rate. Yes, a majority of his hats are in the smaller sizes--probably because he can often get those hats at relatively low prices and his selling methods allow him to make a bit of a profit on them. For that I say good job! :eusa_clap I can relate to the difficulty in selling such hats, especially the ones with the narrower brims, since most of the hats I have for sale are in the same size range.

But yes, if you're one of those of us who are constantly searching ebay then the stories do get a bit repetitious. Fortunately, his ads are instantly recognizable by the gallery photo, and we do know that if he doesn't list the size in the title then it's a 7 1/8 or smaller. That in itself is a good marketing trick--I'm sure it garners him much higher view numbers by people who see a stunning hat and want to see what size it is. The more who look at it, the better the chances someone will opt to buy it, even if it is a tad small. He's good at what he does, and I take my hat off to him!

Regards,
Tom

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
AlanC said:
JtL, is that 3x yet bashed in the JTL C-Crown® or has it maintained its center dentedness?

Had to go "trademark" with it...:)

3XVogue1.jpg

3XVogue2.jpg

The recent eBay auction confirmed what I had thought for a while, namely, that this lid is essentially the 3X version of the Stetson Vogue.

Cheers,
JtL

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
That quote was from my post. I do not know what i did to make it come out that way, but I will edit it now if I can.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Stoney said:
Just snagged this one on e-bay. I don't think I could go wrong at this price as long as there are no moth holes or cigarette burns.

Stoney's Shave-o-rama? I love it!!!!! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
At what point do you call?

eBay says buyers and sellers should contact each other within three days. What does everyone here think? I'm interested in opinions of buyers and sellers alike.

This afternoon will make three days (item won Monday afternoon/evening and today is Thursday) and I haven't received a response after several emails. I don't want to be impatient, but I don't like to be ignored either ...

Any thoughts?

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^Did you pay or are you waiting for an invoice? If shipping is already specified I just go ahead and pay immediately and don't necessarily expect contact.

Right now I'm awaiting a hat that should have been here by now, though. I contacted the seller on Monday who gave me the date and time it was shipped. Here's hoping it's not lost. :(

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
I paid immediately, on Monday evening, but had a question for the seller.

I am probably just being a pain in the neck. I only have about 20 purchases from eBay and am used to sellers who communicate quickly when you ask questions. I had two questions, one of which was (of course) about when the item might be shipped. Every other seller I have dealt with has been very quick and happy to communicate with me.

I searched the eBay "Answer Center" and it doesn't seem that the seller has to contact you at all. So I must assume that when eBay says "Buyers and sellers should contact each other within three business days after the listing ends," it literally means only that they should, not that they have to.

I'll try to be patient by only bringing it up again if I don't have word after a week or so :eek:

RPeers

One of the Regulars
It may sound mean but try and threaten bad feedback if you don't get a response soon, just make sure that you tell them again you've waited a week and would like to know promptly or at least a confirmation that it was shipped.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
HamletJSD said:
I searched the eBay "Answer Center" and it doesn't seem that the seller has to contact you at all. So I must assume that when eBay says "Buyers and sellers should contact each other within three business days after the listing ends," it literally means only that they should, not that they have to.

I'll try to be patient by only bringing it up again if I don't have word after a week or so :eek:

Patience is the name of the game. Many sellers are good at letting you know when something has shipped, or they do their shipping through PayPal which sends you a notice. Others, though, just take the box to the post office and send it on it's way, figuring that's all they need to do.

I don't think ignoring messages is good customer service, though, and leaves customers to assume the worse. I had a similar experience recently--a hat I was interested in was showing an obscenely high shipping cost using UPS. I sent the seller a message inquiring about other shipping such as USPS, and got a positive reply. I bid on the hat, paid for it and shipping, and waited. Sent messages, no response. Wound up filing a claim through PayPal after going through the dispute process. The seller never even responded to the dispute. I did get my money back, but the seller got a negative.

You'll need to give it some time. There are restrictions on how soon you can file a dispute. At this time, though, it doesn't yet appear you have grounds for one. You can, however, request the seller's contact information which should include their phone number if you wish to try the direct route. The seller will get a notification that you had requested the info.

Good luck!

Tom

Spellflower

Practically Family
Bud-n-Texas said:
"these hats aren't really that rare", your kidding right? This is only the 3rd that I have seen including mine. Ask James Powers how many he has seen. If you know where these are plentiful, please let us in on the location. It by far is the #1 hat that I own. Until you have had one in your hand, it is beyond compare.

Bud, as per your avatar, you must have been disappointed more than I! :D

In other words, thanks for enlightening me with your greater experience.:) I didn't realize how special the Vogue was, and was merely referring to Stetsons in 7 1/8 when I remarked about their lack of rarity. Now I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy