Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AlanC, Mar 24, 2008.

1. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

You know those light weight roll-up Borsalinos that came in the triangular travel boxes? I got one on ebay for the $10 minimum bid.

The seller did himself no favors, of course. His listing photo featured the box, for the love of Pete. He described it as a wool women's French hat. Three factual errors there. (That French part must have something to do with that "Grand-Prix Paris 1900" on the Borsalino logo.) He also said it was a size 5, when it is in fact a Punti size 5 1/2, which I detected from an interior shot on his ebay listing. This converts to about a 7 1/4.

Anyway, it shows little sign of wear, although it does show signs of several decades rolled up in that box. I'll likely post photos after I get it a bit more straightened out.

And no, I will not disclose the magic words I typed into the ebay search.

2. bolthead

bolthead My Mail is Forwarded Here

And no, I will not disclose the magic words I typed into the ebay search.

:rage:

3. AlanC

AlanC My Mail is Forwarded Here

I'll content myself that it wasn't my size, but I very badly want one of the travel Borsalinos in the box.

4. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

5. ideaguy

ideaguy One Too Many

Tony, Tony, Tony...don't you feel badly scoring such a nice hat for so little money? really now. Just because you're so darn smart and can pull multiple rabbits out of a beat up old ladie's hat, doesn't make it right to spend so frugally. Next time spend some real cabbage-maybe 12 bucks or so...lol

6. bolthead

bolthead My Mail is Forwarded Here

7. PabloElFlamenco

PabloElFlamenco Practically Family

Never mind those never ending emails promising "a bigger..." or a "deeper...", the one that excited me this morning was "you have won"!
    I admit I went full length to get what I hope is the "ultimate" western hat. Upon reading some of the above posts, I immediately joined "esnipe" and put in a maximum offer of ...(I won't say, I'm a bit ashamed)...and went to bed, because the bidding ended about 03:40, the item being in Montana. As it turned out, I won. Paid a hefty price but, if all be true, I bought a "Vintage Old Stetson Cowboy Hat 1930's Real Nutria Fur". Because seller said they wouldn't ship it to Belgium, I made arrangements in the USA.
    How much you wanta bet I'll also win the (much more moderate) Beaver Hats one in "Belgium" color? (I don't really want it any more, but .. I'm engaged :eusa_doh: ).
    Paul

8. AlanC

AlanC My Mail is Forwarded Here

^Handsome hat. I love esnipe. Look at it this way, it's only dollars. They're like play money for the Euro these days.

Congratulations!

9. Ande1964

Ande1964 Practically Family

CHAMP Spaceweight

I just grabbed this one. As you can see, it's a project hat. I bought it because of the size (which I hope is accurate), and because the liner looked so clean. I can deal with cleaning and shaping.

So, anyone ever heard of a "Spaceweight" felt before? I would assume it's from the early '60s.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anj

10. JeffB

JeffB New in Town

11. J.T.Marcus

J.T.Marcus Call Me a Cab

JeffB, You probably did quite well. It looks like a near identical clone to a Borsalino "Savoy" I have. (I'd post a picture, but it would just look like your hat!) It looks like the sweat band is the older, non-reeded style, directly sewn to the crown. Also, if I'm not mistaken, you've got a "Cavanagh" edge!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

12. tinmanzzz

tinmanzzz A-List Customer

2 Big Hats ?????

One of the true Joys of ebay is the wealth of information & the Great pictures the Seller will, sometimes, provide you. I recently bought 2 hats from the same seller on the bases of the following description and pictures of a hat shaped black Blob..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310038157632&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=021

Purchase Price $11.95
    The hat has a beautiful whip stitch around the rim and a small canvas band around the crown. The rim is 2 1/2 inches and from the top of the crown to the bottom of the rim is approximately 6 inches. Item does not come with hat box.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310038177483&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=021

Purchase price $12.68
    Up for bids we have a gently used Black Worth and Worth Trilby Hat. A Trilby hat is similar to a Fedora but with a Narrower brim. The brim of this hat is about 2 1/4 thick and the hat is about 6 inches tall.

Color may be off due to lighting

First, I respect both Brands and know that they have made Very Good Hats. However, I Ass-U-Me they have made cheap ones???
    Anyway at these prices and Combined shipping :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
    How wrong can I Be.......
    ps: Imageshack is having problems so no pics today :rage: :rage:

13. jimmy the lid

jimmy the lid I'll Lock Up

I'm looking forward to this one (a Stetson 3X)...

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    JtL

14. PhilS

PhilS One of the Regulars

I just missed on this one, JL.

I'll be curious to hear how it looks close up.

15. Stoney

Stoney Practically Family

16. Marcus Brody

Marcus Brody Familiar Face

I saw it, but I already have a brown Whippet, and I figured I didn't need a 4th gray hat. I actually tried to tip off a friend of mine who probably would have loved it, guess he didn't get my message.

17. PhilS

PhilS One of the Regulars

18. jake_fink

jake_fink Call Me a Cab

YAY! Somebody posting pictures of an actual hat on their own actual head. How much better is that than all those boring ebay pictures and listings?

Thank you thank you thank you PhilS.

BTW. I don't know a thing about Beaverbrook, apart from the name. The hat looks really fine though. Good one.

edit to say: arrgh. if only I typed faster this embarrassing situation would have been avoided. Anyway, the hat looks better in your photos than in the listing - which really adds nothing of any use whatsoever - apart from the price.

19. J.T.Marcus

J.T.Marcus Call Me a Cab

This one is going to take a little work.

[​IMG]

Mallory 6 3/4. It will need to become a 7 1/8. Did I mention it was 99 cents, plus shipping?

20. kowalskt63

kowalskt63 Familiar Face

At least you got it for a reasonable price. My latest misadventure involved this gem:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=380013755561&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI
    It was not in good shape, and it is a size 7. Not gonna fit on my 7 3/8 noggin. Is there any recourse? Or am I stuck with a tiny hat. I paid way more than 99 cents.