Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

billysmom

One Too Many
Ephraim Tutt said:
Herbert Johnson made Dr Who's hats back in the 70's when Tom Baker flew the Tardis.

I know - it's kinda sad that I know that, isn't it.

You know, I had forgotten that! :p I thought it was our short-term memories that were supposted to go first .... :(

Sue

billysmom said:
Missed on the Huckel, but scored on this Herbert Johnson:

BowlerNov8.jpg

Bowler1Nov8.jpg

British size 6 3/4 - the seller measured it as slightly less than 22".

Sue

Wow! Way to go! :eusa_clap

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I would put that one somewhere between '40 and '43. It would be interesting to see if it has the date under the sweat as some of the factory shop ones do.

Edit: Never mind. It says its from 1942.

So they were using the gold '30s-style size tags in '42. I think this must have been in the last year or so of when they used it, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Does anyone have a later example than that with the gold size tag to further. Or does anyone have a dated one from the '42-'46 period that has the manila one? Narrowing the year the change took place in would give one more thing to help with dating.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
I would put that one somewhere between '39 and '43. It would be interesting to see if it has the date under the sweat as some of the factory shop ones do.

I believe it was the 'Open Road Guild' thread where someone was very insistent that Stetsons in the early '40s could not possibly have reeded sweatbands. If I remember correctly, it was when we were attempting to date that huge Royal Stetson Deluxe that I had.

Not disputing anyone - just mentioning it.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
It's vita-felt, so I knew it was 41-45, but how did you know 42? Did you contact the seller?

At the bottom of the listing, seller looked under the sweatband and found the 1942 stamp

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. Based on this and the samples in the vita-felt thread, I think that the ones with the dark, embossed "vita-felt process" are the earlier hats.

CliffG

One of the Regulars
If I may...

Zemke Fan said:
With any luck this one -- like SO, SO, many I've seen fished from the Bay -- will have shrunk a size or two over time...

If I may say something here, I realize I am new here, but not new at all to felt hats, I grew up a working Cowboy in Nebraska and have learned a couple of thing about a cheap to me hat.
You talk about this possibly has shrank a few sizes, but if it is good quality beaver felt or fur felt you can fix that.
You may laugh at me when I tell you the advice that was given to me by my Dad, but it has worked for me on good quality felt and straw hats both.
I was given a black stetson hat but it was to small, but not by much, Dad told me to take it to the horse tank and soak it till it wont take any more water, then pull it out and let the water drain out until it stops running out then put it on and wear it all day till it dries.
The first few minutes you are going to get plenty of water ringing out of the hat and it feels tight, but after a bit it will start to loosen up, by the time lunch rolls around and you go back in the house and take your hat off it is feeling pretty good, you eat and go back to work and by supper it is a nice feeling hat. After supper you clean the hat up and start the tee kettle boiling and steam the hat to the shape you want, making sure to put it back on your melon from time to time so it can keep the shape of your head.
I have not used the horse tank since I was a kid, but occasionally I soak one in the kitchen sink and make it fit me perfectly.

Oh and when I came across a hat that was just a little bit to big we would take a pair of old worn out goat skin gloves and cut strips of leather to fit in behind the sweat band to take up the extra space needed. The goat skin is thin and it is surprising how a little bit here and there will bring the size down. But if it is way to big you are really out of luck
just saying is all...
Cliff

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Thanks Cliff - and welcome to the Lounge.

The Australian bushies used to do something similar. When they bought a new Akubra they'd dunk it in the first creek they came to, then wear it till it was dry. Never failed to have a great fitting hat they tell me.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
This might end up being too big, but I couldn't resist; however, if their 22 1/2" measurement is correct, it would actually be too small:

Nice. :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic