Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Stetson Park Ranger/Cavalry

Stunning Photography
!BeBCHMg!mk~$(KGrHqYH-EIErgcO3e3HBK7fPOpIIw~~_12.JPG
!BeBYUy!BWk~$(KGrHqEH-CMErfCngchiBK7gG4SLrQ~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280417919253#ht_500wt_1182

Michaelshane

One Too Many
CliffG said:
If I may say something here, I realize I am new here, but not new at all to felt hats, I grew up a working Cowboy in Nebraska and have learned a couple of thing about a cheap to me hat.
You talk about this possibly has shrank a few sizes, but if it is good quality beaver felt or fur felt you can fix that.
You may laugh at me when I tell you the advice that was given to me by my Dad, but it has worked for me on good quality felt and straw hats both.
I was given a black stetson hat but it was to small, but not by much, Dad told me to take it to the horse tank and soak it till it wont take any more water, then pull it out and let the water drain out until it stops running out then put it on and wear it all day till it dries.
The first few minutes you are going to get plenty of water ringing out of the hat and it feels tight, but after a bit it will start to loosen up, by the time lunch rolls around and you go back in the house and take your hat off it is feeling pretty good, you eat and go back to work and by supper it is a nice feeling hat. After supper you clean the hat up and start the tee kettle boiling and steam the hat to the shape you want, making sure to put it back on your melon from time to time so it can keep the shape of your head.
I have not used the horse tank since I was a kid, but occasionally I soak one in the kitchen sink and make it fit me perfectly.

Oh and when I came across a hat that was just a little bit to big we would take a pair of old worn out goat skin gloves and cut strips of leather to fit in behind the sweat band to take up the extra space needed. The goat skin is thin and it is surprising how a little bit here and there will bring the size down. But if it is way to big you are really out of luck
just saying is all...
Cliff
That works for boots too.....:)

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rlk said:
Nice "abs".

But it sure isn't NOS, as claimed. The sweat looks like it has seen
plenty of wear and the ribbon (or more likely the leather band) is
totally gone. Can't quite read the logo on the sweat, but I am
betting it says, "Nutria Quality".

I have one, and it's great. But, uh, I don't wear that style of
hat too often. I had thought to make a Boss of the Plains out of
it, but lost interest (and like it as it is).

Stetson Homburg

I won this German made Stetson Homburg for just under $10.00. I am not sure who made it (Wegener?) but I am thinking late 50s. Any input appreciated.

4088897341_b33c246c4e_o.jpg

4088897367_fa49aa05e2_o.jpg

4089657364_8745ec1640_o.jpg

4089657380_e4edae4d49_o.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Cheap? He calls $182 cheap... :eek:

Well. Considering those big noggins of you guys, this may actually be cheap. I've seen other hats go for well over $400... :p

With my size (and budget), this would be a lot of dough, though, especially with the added S&H fees to have the hat shipped over to Germany and then, of course, there is our beloved import sales tax... :mad:

Good thing I'm 6 7/8... :D

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lefty said:
beautiful, tiny Portis with a great liner and box

Hey Lefty, I won that one. I'll post it when it gets in. I did not have a Portis and that one looked superb!

And its not that TINY!!! My brain is still on the inside! :)

Hornby

New in Town
I won this a couple days ago and it just arrived. Not great photo's i'm afraid but i'm thrilled with the hat and couldn't wait to show it off. And at £20 and absolute bargain too.

Hat-Full-1.jpg

Hat-Inside-1.jpg

Hat-1.jpg

H..*

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Answer to my own question...

Zemke Fan said:
With any luck this one -- like SO, SO, many I've seen fished from the Bay -- will have shrunk a size or two over time... But for $10 how could I lose??

316296447_o.jpg
Turns out there WAS an *8* in the size of this fine old Dobbs... 6 and 5/8! It's like a child's hat on my big noggin! But, oh gosh, this is a fine hat! Very thin and soft felt. If it had indeed been a melon-hat it would have been right up my alley. Fortunately, the seller and I are working out a return!

SIGH!!!

cptjeff

Practically Family
Yeah, I saw that listed and figured there was no way. They simply didn't make them anywhere near that large. Any size 8 would have almost certainly been custom.

And the lack of a real measurement kept me away from even considering it.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Hornby said:
It is. 'Made in the U.S.A' & 'Made Expressly for McLarnon & Sons, Glasgow' on the sweat.

I shall be wearing it out tonight.

H..*

Nice hat. It's no newer than 1942, though I'd go '30s on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou