Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
1930's Stetson Trooper? Hat

I sincerely hope one of the two following:

1) A lounger did NOT buy this hat, or...
2) I am totally wrong, and it is not a mid-30s law enforcement or stripped-down park ranger hat.

1930s No. 1 Stetson

DSC_0459_004.JPG

DSC_0461_003.JPG

Key quote from auction: Q: Are the color pictures accurate to the color? I assume this is fur felt? How is the stiffness of the hat? soft or stiff?
A: Yes, the color is accurate - but much of that can depend on your computer screen settings.... I am not sure if it is fur felt - I don't know how to tell. The hat is stiff, not floppy or soft. Hope this helps!

buler

I'll Lock Up
Stetson Nudist....

Dang, I was going to get this for a door prize at Monteagle and forgot about it. Hopefully someone here got this very important hat....
Nudist
B

stetson_nudist_1941.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
theinterchange said:
I'd love to get a look at the person brave enough to wear that hat as is... on second thought, maybe I wouldn't! :eek:

Randy

The hat's owner was sold in a separate auction:

alod_ken_eunuch.jpg

m000m000

One of the Regulars
I just scored this. Thoughts?

334836259_tp.jpg

I've been looking for a grey wider-brim hat with a cavanagh edge for some time already, and this one seems to have enough height that it should take relatively kindly to resizing up a bit. I just hope the super tight pinch hasn't damaged the felt on the front of the crown...

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
*cough*choke*

Gee what I've been missing by not looking up this thread lately!!

uh...ahem...wouldn't the crown need to be a little taller than 4 inches gents? On the auction detail they don't give the hat "size" ie. circumference. Or is it supposed to fit without needing to be suitably stretched, if given the appropriate circumstances?

(more choking and coughing...)

too good on this one;) Good show Buler!

buler said:
Dang, I was going to get this for a door prize at Monteagle and forgot about it. Hopefully someone here got this very important hat....
Nudist
B

stetson_nudist_1941.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
chanteuseCarey said:
*cough*choke*

Gee what I've been missing by not looking up this thread lately!!

uh...ahem...wouldn't the crown need to be a little taller than 4 inches gents? On the auction detail they don't give the hat "size" ie. circumference. Or is it supposed to fit without needing to be suitably stretched, if given the appropriate circumstances?

(more choking and coughing...)

too good on this one;) Good show Buler!

:eusa_doh: I totally missed that 'angle'

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Can't I go a WEEK without buying a hat??

Evidently not. I've been looking for a chocolate brown fedora to wear with a couple of different suits/outfits I have. This BIN popped up, and after scouring the lounge for info on Knox 20s (and seeing what a few others, albeit different styles, have gone for recently) I pulled the trigger:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...60348&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

I was on the fence, but the back bow and wind trolley sold me. I don't really think it's as old as the seller purports, 50's is more like it I'd think with the more narrow brim and plastic liner protector and the leather size tag. Still, barring any unpleasant suprises (PLEASE don't be as purple as you look in the photo!) I think I did okay with this one.

Gotta grab those 7 1/4's fast around here, it seems....

billyspew

One Too Many
Salty O'Rourke said:
Evidently not. I've been looking for a chocolate brown fedora to wear with a couple of different suits/outfits I have. This BIN popped up, and after scouring the lounge for info on Knox 20s (and seeing what a few others, albeit different styles, have gone for recently) I pulled the trigger:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...60348&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

I was on the fence, but the back bow and wind trolley sold me. I don't really think it's as old as the seller purports, 50's is more like it I'd think with the more narrow brim and plastic liner protector and the leather size tag. Still, barring any unpleasant suprises (PLEASE don't be as purple as you look in the photo!) I think I did okay with this one.

Gotta grab those 7 1/4's fast around here, it seems....

Very good, long oval too.
Looks to be an oilskin covering to the liner so might be early 50's.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
billyspew said:
Very good, long oval too.
Looks to be an oilskin covering to the liner so might be early 50's.

If it is indeed oilskin it could be late 40s/early 50s according to my hurried research. The seller mentioned that it was plastic, and we know they are never mistaken...lol

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Salty O'Rourke said:
If it is indeed oilskin it could be late 40s/early 50s according to my hurried research. The seller mentioned that it was plastic, and we know they are never mistaken...lol

Backbow=late '50s. Also, that size tag is more modern than some of the Knox Twenty's we've posted in the 'School of Hard Knox' thread, and there's at least one (with older tag than yours) that's 1950-53. Finally, that liner cover is so smooth you can barely see it - looks like the later plastic liner covers.

I have a Knox 'Custom Edge' that I was guessing is late '50s, early '60s, and yours looks older, so I bet it's just newer than mid-50s.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Salty O'Rourke said:

Just noticed additional clue - Knox logo on wind cord button.

Do we have a date range on those?

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
ScottF said:
Just noticed additional clue - Knox logo on wind cord button.

Do we have a date range on those?

Thanks, Billy & Scott. One thing I learned quickly as I tried to estimate its age before I took the plunge - you can find all kinds of clues about Stetson and Dobbs dating (tag shape/color/placement, sweatband bow types, etc.) but there's not much about Knox, at least not that I could find quickly. My only other Knox is my Westlite Premier and I'm pretty sure that's from the 60s or maybe even 70s given the gold paper size tag, flat ribbon sweatband bow, and machine printed info sticker behind the sweat. I love the Westlite so I'm optomistic about the quality of this 20.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Salty O'Rourke said:
Thanks, Billy & Scott. One thing I learned quickly as I tried to estimate its age before I took the plunge - you can find all kinds of clues about Stetson and Dobbs dating (tag shape/color/placement, sweatband bow types, etc.) but there's not much about Knox, at least not that I could find quickly. My only other Knox is my Westlite Premier and I'm pretty sure that's from the 60s or maybe even 70s given the gold paper size tag, flat ribbon sweatband bow, and machine printed info sticker behind the sweat. I love the Westlite so I'm optomistic about the quality of this 20.

I have owned four Knox Twenty's dating from the '40s through 1953. Most of the details of each, and my analysis, are posted in the 'School of Hard Knox' thread, so once you have yours, I hope you'll compare and post your thoughts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran