Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
My Beginner's Luck Whippet

This one arrived while I was away for the holidays:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...31523&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

The "little spots" turned out to be some kind of rust-colored stuff that laughed at naptha. K2R zapped most of it and I managed to get out what remained. The sweatband is a little rough; it's actually adrift in one place. That and some discoloration on the brim trim will mean a trip to Optimo, but overall I'm very pleased with the way it's turned out:

4260803277_b43375c56f.jpg

4260778613_2d0f50c060.jpg

4261570698_cc87ec9fea.jpg

4261466334_e204cafccb.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'd love one in my size. Though I haven't read the case or looked closely at the liner, I think that's the one that got Stetson sued (can't remember if it was FTC or just a civil suit). I kept finding the same case over and over when I was looking into the Paris 1900 medal logo. The case was some controversy over the use of multiple medals in the logo.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
I'd love one in my size. Though I haven't read the case or looked closely at the liner, I think that's the one that got Stetson sued (can't remember if it was FTC or just a civil suit). I kept finding the same case over and over when I was looking into the Paris 1900 medal logo. The case was some controversy over the use of multiple medals in the logo.

Ahhh. Well, I contacted her in advance to get some clearer photos of the liner logo and also the sweatband logo, so if anyone's interested I'll post them.

Lack of self-control:

Really old Stetson 3X fuzzy dress fedora

StetsonOld3x.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Ahhh. Well, I contacted her in advance to get some clearer photos of the liner logo and also the sweatband logo, so if anyone's interested I'll post them.

Lack of self-control:

IMG]http://oldsplice.homestead.com/Hats/Stetson3X1920s/StetsonOld3x.jpg[/IMG]

Please post those photos in the Stetson liner thread. There's so little information on those oldies.

That 3x is great. If you're going to break down, there's one to fall for.

Chinaski

One Too Many
ScottF said:

Lack of self-control:

StetsonOld3x.jpg

I saw that auction with about an hour to go and I think it was at around $35!! Looks as though you sniped well, and hopefully you'll post pics when you get it. That is definitely an interesting hat.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
Please post those photos in the Stetson liner thread. There's so little information on those oldies.

Job done, but the pics weren't as great as I remembered.

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
ScottF said:

Lack of self-control:

StetsonOld3x.jpg

Scott! I thought we were friends dude? How could you take this from me? :rolleyes: lol

Why do you guys like black furry hats so much? They are black which historically is not a popular color for the lounge, they can look worse than you do after a rough day and they smell like wet dog when they get wet. Who wants that? (besides me...)

(Looks around at his somewhat decent hat collection, frowns, points at the screen and whines, "But I want that one!")

You better post good pics and let us know the true size! It looks like a great old hat, congrats. :)

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
M_Jones said:
Scott! I thought we were friends dude? How could you take this from me? :rolleyes: lol

Why do you guys like black furry hats so much? They are black which historically is not a popular color for the lounge, they can look worse than you do after a rough day and they smell like wet dog when they get wet. Who wants that? (besides me...)

(Looks around at his somewhat decent hat collection, frowns, points at the screen and whines, "But I want that one!")

You better post good pics and let us know the true size! It looks like a great old hat, congrats. :)

Well, Hollis, this could end up being a disaster. If the hat fits me, and doesn't have some weird damage unpredictable from the pics, then it will probably zoom up to top 5. If it ends up being two sizes too small, then I have to re-size and lose the original vintage blocking and some of the brim. Still, just had to get it in my hands, even if I end up having to sell and it becomes a very expensive examination.

I have been wearing my fuzzy gray '20s hom-dora, and it gets a few stares - I'm over it, and convinced it will kick off a Pac Northwest fuzz-trend.

Scott <=== had long hair in the '70s, but it was my own

billyspew

One Too Many
jeffconnors said:
Picked up this today for 20 bones...missing liner don't quite know when its from...but 20 bones is 20 bones..Could any one on the forms point me in the direction of how to identify the date of manufacture for dobbs hats? I am focusing on collection dobbs and would like to read up on them,

http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=24024328

Looks like it could be 40's, maybe early 50's. Not a Dobbs expert though.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
billyspew said:
Looks like it could be 40's, maybe early 50's. Not a Dobbs expert though.

Nice deal at $20. Looks from the pics like the bow's at the back, meaning late-50s?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112