Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I saw that one (the pseudo 7 1/2). Was a bit put off by the reserve, or I might have thrown in a bid or two. Interesting. Was it a Lounger who got it?

AlanD

Familiar Face
My new Dobbs

100_2712.jpg
[/IMG]

100_2710.jpg
[/IMG]

100_2708.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:

I was disappointed that there wasn't more interest in this Montecristi - it's a superb hat. The final price didn't concern me, as I'm still buzzing around break-even for the hats I've sold recently, but Montecristis just don't seem to have much re-sell value, and they are amazing hats. If I had to rank my top ten hats, three would be Montecristis.

Lefty said:

I liked this hat so much that I asked the seller to re-measure it. It was just too small even to stretch. Who knows where he got his initial 7 1/2 estimate. [huh]

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
fluteplayer07 said:
Ooh! That one's interesting. Just be sure to clean it out; who knows what was stored in there over the years. Could have been dead animals or old laundry for all we know. Any idea how old it is?

flute

The seller said he used to store stuff in it - it's super-clean and smells nice and fresh. Also, very solid construction.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I typically avoid the Montecristi's on the 'bay, since there's so much more room for error (at least for me, anyways; my specialty is not straw). But too bad I missed that one. I've been looking for something like it for over a month!

What did you think of the nutria I got 2nd place for? Would I have overpaid if I had won? And any idea how old it is? Looks 1930's to me, but I could be wrong.

flute

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
fluteplayer07 said:
I typically avoid the Montecristi's on the 'bay, since there's so much more room for error (at least for me, anyways; my specialty is not straw). But too bad I missed that one. I've been looking for something like it for over a month!

What did you think of the nutria I got 2nd place for? Would I have overpaid if I had won? And any idea how old it is? Looks 1930's to me, but I could be wrong.

flute

Borsalinos can be very hard to date, but it does look old, and Nutria Borsalinos are not common. Plus, a '5' Punti is a 7 1/8 U.S., so I think that was a pretty good deal for someone.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Scratch that--don't file it under defeats. File it under soul crushing, hope sucking, completely pathetic and humiliating defeats.

Wow--that was oddly therapeutic. At the least, I can be happy I drove up the price for whoever got it. But the real irony: I didn't think it was my size. But 5 punti, converting to 7 1/8, is.

So, congrats to the winner. :) I wonder if he's a Lounger? Love to see some more pics, if you're out there.

flute

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
fluteplayer07 said:
Scratch that--don't file it under defeats. File it under soul crushing, hope sucking, completely pathetic and humiliating defeats.

Wow--that was oddly therapeutic. At the least, I can be happy I drove up the price for whoever got it. But the real irony: I didn't think it was my size. But 5 punti, converting to 7 1/8, is.

So, congrats to the winner. :) I wonder if he's a Lounger? Love to see some more pics, if you're out there.

flute

I wouldn't worry too much about it - there are still plenty of great 7 1/8 Borsos out there, and that one might very well have had issues - you never know.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lefty said:
had it been a 7 1/2, it would have gone through the roof
When it appeared to be a 7 1/2, I was prepared to take it through the roof.
Just before I entered my big bid I saw the added pix with the size. I would
have gone through the roof myself if it had arrived and been 7 1/8. It was
never clear that the 7 1/2 meant size or width or what. Weird listing. I will
always be grateful to the person who got the seller to add those photos.

A very nice hat.

Jeffconnors- that plastic liner does put it later than the estimate in the listing.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Oh, for some reason I thought it looked older, because of the stamping on the sweatband. No clue why. Didn't even pay attention to the plastic liner! Sorry about that. :eek: But still, $100 for a near perfect 7 1/2 Whippet... Not bad!

flute

SteveAS

Practically Family
fluteplayer07 said:
Just lost this guy by $1.00!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160412378741#ht_500wt_1182

File this one under the defeats. :(

flute

I'm sorry to have beaten out a fellow lounger, but happy to have won. :eek: :)

I realized the Punti 5 converted to a 7-1/8, so I was happy the seller erroneously converted it to a 7 since that likely kept the price from getting higher. If it's any consolation, my bid was a decent amount higher than the $72 for which the hat sold. That said, neither the pictures nor the description give me complete confidence that this hat is in good condition, so it's a bit of a gamble . . .

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
SteveAS said:
I'm sorry to have beaten out a fellow lounger, but happy to have won. :eek: :)

I realized the Punti 5 converted to a 7-1/8, so I was happy the seller erroneously converted it to a 7 since that likely kept the price from getting higher. If it's any consolation, my bid was a decent amount higher than the $72 for which the hat sold. That said, neither the pictures nor the description give me complete confidence that this hat is in good condition, so it's a bit of a gamble . . .

Oh! It did go to a fellow Lounger! Sorry about that, last night; I needed to vent. :eek: It's a bit aggravating when it appears that I lost by such a narrow margin, but now I know I didn't. :) Good that it goes to somebody who will take care of it. And sorry about raising the price on you. Just be sure to show us all some pics, when you get it!

flute

SteveAS

Practically Family
fluteplayer07 said:
Sorry about that, last night; I needed to vent. :eek: It's a bit aggravating when it appears that I lost by such a narrow margin, but now I know I didn't. :) And sorry about raising the price on you.

No need to apologize on either count! I too have experienced the frustration of being the under-bidder and all's fair in love and ebay! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy