Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

hatted

One of the Regulars
GoneSolo said:
Thank you gentlemen.:D

Um (he tries to speak, as saliva overflows his mouth and begins to splatter on the floor), those are some, um, nice hats you've got there. That Black Stetson "Sport-Lite" is about the most swell hat I've seen in a long time.

blixa00

One of the Regulars

barrowjh

One Too Many
Blixa00, that should be a really nice hat. If I were one size smaller, might have chased that one - should be superb. A small-scale local or regional hatter, trying to compete with the national factories, using pure beaver hat bodies and likely superior quality hand-finishing - could be real beaut.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
There have been a few of these with nearly identical markings sold under different names, but all look great. Dreispitz has one, rlk might have another.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
blixa00 said:
I won this recently with BIN...a very interesting looking hat http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-W-BOX-100-BEAVER-HALES-HUNTER-CO-FEDORA-HAT_W0QQitemZ260569202921QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Men_s_Women_s_Accessories?hash=item3cab2280e9. I wonder who might have been responsible for making this "custom" item? It appears to be a very high quality "premium" produced for a seed company, perhaps for a top salesman or an important client? Ano thoughts??:)

I have a Lion 100% beaver that looks to be of the same manufacture with the same script for the 100% beaver text and the same size tag. A discussion here on hat brands had Lion Hats being a brand of Beaver Brand hats.

Cracker

One of the Regulars
My Stetson Fifteen Mode Edge arrived today. A tad tight, but soft as buttah...

(more pics in New Hats)

IMG_8594.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
ebay frustration

2 that might have gotten away:

On February 26 I BIN'd 2 hats from 2 separate sellers: an emerald green, wide-ribbon Borsalino, and a gorgeous ca. 1920's Miller hats copy of a Stetson 'Tommy Grimes'. I rarely buy hats that are advertised as too large, but both were too cool to pass up, so I crossed my fingers.

Neither has arrived! :rage: (yes, I do actually feel rage :) )

The Borso seller insisted that I pay by check or sign up for some other electronic service that I didn't feel comfortable with, so I sent a check, cashed March 5. I still don't have a hat, and I'm being called a liar during the dispute process, so about to escalate.

The western seller has claimed shipment twice, but just mailed it on Monday, by parcel post! Yep, I paid him $24 for priority on Feb 26.

When it rains, it pours...or doesn't pour.

I really look forward to posting pictures of these hats some day lol

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Hat Etiquette by Cavanagh

Snatched up this Buy-It-Now this morning; it must not have been there very long, as I can't imagine anyone else passing it up for the price.

Another sign of Cavanagh consistency and conservatism, as it is very reminiscent of the 1931 Cavanagh catalog I have, 25 years older than this pamphlet. I'll post more in the Cavanagh thread when I receive it.

Brad

Brad Bowers said:
Hat Etiquette by Cavanagh

Snatched up this Buy-It-Now this morning; it must not have been there very long, as I can't imagine anyone else passing it up for the price.

Another sign of Cavanagh consistency and conservatism, as it is very reminiscent of the 1931 Cavanagh catalog I have, 25 years older than this pamphlet. I'll post more in the Cavanagh thread when I receive it.

Brad

Great find! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScottF said:
2 that might have gotten away:

On February 26 I BIN'd 2 hats from 2 separate sellers: an emerald green, wide-ribbon Borsalino, and a gorgeous ca. 1920's Miller hats copy of a Stetson 'Tommy Grimes'. I rarely buy hats that are advertised as too large, but both were too cool to pass up, so I crossed my fingers.

Neither has arrived! :rage: (yes, I do actually feel rage :) )

The Borso seller insisted that I pay by check or sign up for some other electronic service that I didn't feel comfortable with, so I sent a check, cashed March 5. I still don't have a hat, and I'm being called a liar during the dispute process, so about to escalate.

The western seller has claimed shipment twice, but just mailed it on Monday, by parcel post! Yep, I paid him $24 for priority on Feb 26.

When it rains, it pours...or doesn't pour.

I really look forward to posting pictures of these hats some day lol

Man o' man, that would really steam my clams, it would! Any chance you would wanna post the auction link on Borso seller so as we all might avoid them in the future?

As far as the seller of the Western, do what I did on a recent purchase (esp. now that you know it to have shipped) I paid the idiotic shipping & then turned around & narc 'em out to eBay, lo & behold, before you can say Jack Robinson I find that $28 of the moronically high price paid for shipping had been returned to me. ;)

Sorry to hear of your distress. Here's hoping for a good end to it for you!

Dreispitz

One Too Many
blixa00 said:
I won this recently with BIN...a very interesting looking hat http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-W-BOX-100-BEAVER-HALES-HUNTER-CO-FEDORA-HAT_W0QQitemZ260569202921QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Men_s_Women_s_Accessories?hash=item3cab2280e9. I wonder who might have been responsible for making this "custom" item? It appears to be a very high quality "premium" produced for a seed company, perhaps for a top salesman or an important client? Ano thoughts??:)

I have a very similar one. Congratulations. A 100 for 75 lol

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Rick Blaine said:
Man o' man, that would really steam my clams, it would! Any chance you would wanna post the auction link on Borso seller so as we all might avoid them in the future?

As far as the seller of the Western, do what I did on a recent purchase (esp. now that you know it to have shipped) I paid the idiotic shipping & then turned around & narc 'em out to eBay, lo & behold, before you can say Jack Robinson I find that $28 of the moronically high price paid for shipping had been returned to me. ;)

Sorry to hear of your distress. Here's hoping for a good end to it for you!

Thanks. I wouldn't have posted about these, but just thought it amazing that the two worst hat-related stories I have so far were for hats bought on the same day.

blixa00

One of the Regulars
DREISPITZ- thanks for the info...looks like the hat I won might be made by the same maker as your fine chapeau, a 100 for 75 indeed!!
ScottF- you should definitely report the shipping issues to Ebay, their rules against outrageous shipping charges are pretty clear and you should be able to get some $$ back!! Sorry about the other situation but Ebay may still be able to help sort it all out for you.
CRACKER- I love that Stetson Fifteen...it is has a real classic look! :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic