Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
ScottF said:
Hey, that's great - I just saw all those 7 to 7 1/4 hats you were selling, so I assumed you had a smaller head. I like this straw hat just as it is - especially the pug - so good pick-up.
Yeh I can never pass up a good deal and sometimes I buy just to look and pass it on, it's impracal to hord hats that don't fit but a look see to admire first hand, never hurts;-).... Oh yeh... WhAt's a pug?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jeffconnors said:
Yeh I can never pass up a good deal and sometimes I buy just to look and pass it on, it's impracal to hord hats that don't fit but a look see to admire first hand, never hurts;-).... Oh yeh... WhAt's a pug?

'Pug' is short for 'pugaree' - those non-bow fabric ribbons wrapped around a lot of Panamas.

I do the same sometimes - a beautiful 7 1/2 western is coming in the mail next week (Tommy Grimes Miller knock-off), along with a 7 3/4 dark emerald green Borsalino that I just couldn't pass up. I'm hoping the Borso was mis-sized. Other than those two and a couple on ebay, all of my hats fit me just about perfect.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jeffconnors said:
wow! Steal! I think that one was well hidden.

Possibly, but plenty of people search on 'Stetson'. I think it's the frayed bow that puts people off - when I first started buying old hats, I thought Cavanagh made cheap bows that fell apart. Now, of course, I consider it a real bonus to find a Cavanagh with a frayed bow - I've even learned how to fray bows myself, and it ain't easy.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Seeing how cheap my 7 3/4 Stetson Select is likely to go, and with the sweatband on my only other example about rotted out, I decided to take a chance on this beauty as my future pre-30's collection representative, even though it's a size small...and won it for $31. What gives?

A weak justification from a junky.

7x CB, size 7 for barely over $100.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Possibly, but plenty of people search on 'Stetson'. I think it's the frayed bow that puts people off - when I first started buying old hats, I thought Cavanagh made cheap bows that fell apart. Now, of course, I consider it a real bonus to find a Cavanagh with a frayed bow - I've even learned how to fray bows myself, and it ain't easy.

!BnKph)wCGk~$(KGrHqUH-D0Etr7di+lcBLibwB4oEg~~_12.JPG
Stetson Select:
4435174185_0a6fc97055.jpg

That one is a frayed bow by age not intention as its only along one edge and the shredding(not real fray) doesn't go all the way across the edge. But a very interesting hat in generally good shape definitely worth a look. There seems to be a chasm in what buyers are willing to pay between 7-1/8 and under and 7-1/4 and over(and increasing with size to a degree).

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
That one is a frayed bow by age not intention as its only along one edge and the shredding(not real fray) doesn't go all the way across the edge. But a very interesting hat in generally good shape definitely worth a look. There seems to be a chasm in what buyers are willing to pay between 7-1/8 and under and 7-1/4 and over(and increasing with size to a degree).

We'll see when it arrives, but I think it's frayed but has gotten messy over time. I'll bet you five cents.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
We'll see when it arrives, but I think it's frayed but has gotten messy over time. I'll bet you five cents.

Are you afrayed to bet more? Don't you have a shred of confidence?;)

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
Are you afrayed to bet more? Don't you have a shred of confidence?;)

Okay, a Canadian dime. Hopefully it arrives quicker than the two I'm currently waiting on - paid for priority shipping on Feb 26, and still not here (from two separate sellers).

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Okay, a Canadian dime. Hopefully it arrives quicker than the two I'm currently waiting on - paid for priority shipping on Feb 26, and still not here (from two separate sellers).
I've noticed Priority isn't so fast when they wait a week or two to send it out.:rage:

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Yes. He actually dropped the price on those when they didn't sell the first time. It sucked not being able to post a link here when it went active at the reduced price. Hope someone who will wear the Akubra won the auction.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Super-long Hat? box

This just arrived - slightly oval with almost the exact measurements as a vintage hatbox but longer, 31" deep, made of a very hard compressed fiber - not cardboard - much sturdier. Looking forward to safely packing away a whole bunch of hats. I'm guessing that loads of hats were stacked in here for shipping to retailers, but really don't know.

Long hat box?

!BnQ!PM!B2k~$(KGrHqUH-DEEtgvoFbePBLiu(cKSR!~~_12.JPG

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScottF said:
Yes. He actually dropped the price on those when they didn't sell the first time. It sucked not being able to post a link here when it went active at the reduced price. Hope someone who will wear the Akubra won the auction.

Yeah that Akubra looks sweet... anyone hazard a guess as to the model? A "Longreach"w/ it's bound brim cut off is my thinking.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I was actually considering getting that one! At least it went to someone who will take care of it. :) If I were you, I'd go to Mr. Fawcett for it. Art's not the cheapest, but for that nice of a hat, you know he'll take care of it. He has vintage ribbon, so he should be able to get it pretty close to the original binding. I think it's a fair price. It's an older Whippet, plus it looks like new, and it's a large size. I paid almost $200 for a mint 7 1/8 Whippet just not too long ago. Let us know how it turns out.

flute

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
ScottF said:
This just arrived - slightly oval with almost the exact measurements as a vintage hatbox but longer, 31" deep, made of a very hard compressed fiber - not cardboard - much sturdier. Looking forward to safely packing away a whole bunch of hats. I'm guessing that loads of hats were stacked in here for shipping to retailers, but really don't know.

Long hat box?

!BnQ!PM!B2k~$(KGrHqUH-DEEtgvoFbePBLiu(cKSR!~~_12.JPG

Ooh! That one's interesting. Just be sure to clean it out; who knows what was stored in there over the years. Could have been dead animals or old laundry for all we know. Any idea how old it is?

flute

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy