Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I liked the looks of this one.

022_030.jpg

027_029.jpg

rippy444

Familiar Face
Reload this Page Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Not knowing what I was doing, I picked up a Hopkins Baltamore vintage tan fur fedora for $20.00 complete. I got it today. What a beauty. I think I'll keep it. 6 7/8 too small for most of you gents. RIP

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
M_Jones said:
Just goes to show that you can get what you want if you are patient. Unfortunately I missed out on the Austrian but I am not complaining as I will patiently wait for that ancient Peschel to show up. :)

mayserwegener said:
Congrats! As I mentioned above that is a super rare one. Looking forward to seeing detailed photos.

No pictures but the hat arrived today and as could be plainly seen from the auction photos the liner is shredded and beyond any kind of repair. The sweatband is unreeded making it more susceptible to separation from the felt which is the case with this hat. I can preserve it for reference but it will never serve its intended purpose again.

Under the sweatband I found a rather large length of some type of belt (modern) to help size the hat down. This is one of two things I consider good news about the hat. Without the belt it is my size. The second good thing is that the felt is flawless with no moth damage anywhere.

Sigh, the not so good. The ribbon is not grosgrain or even vintage. It is some modern craft ribbon used to form a bow and sewn down on one side to make it narrow. And the worst of it is that it looks all too apparent that the brim has been hewn down to make it more modern or feminine or something. This wouldn't be too bad except for the fact that there is as much as a 1/8th inch difference in brim length depending on where you measure.

So, RLK clearly got the better deal of the two hats and I must now contemplate if I am going to send this thing to Optimo for work (which it needs to be wearable).

I don't suppose one of you folks has a Peschel liner for sale? :rolleyes:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
M_Jones said:
No pictures but the hat arrived today and as could be plainly seen from the auction photos the liner is shredded and beyond any kind of repair. The sweatband is unreeded making it more susceptible to separation from the felt which is the case with this hat. I can preserve it for reference but it will never serve its intended purpose again.

Under the sweatband I found a rather large length of some type of belt (modern) to help size the hat down. This is one of two things I consider good news about the hat. Without the belt it is my size. The second good thing is that the felt is flawless with no moth damage anywhere.

Sigh, the not so good. The ribbon is not grosgrain or even vintage. It is some modern craft ribbon used to form a bow and sewn down on one side to make it narrow. And the worst of it is that it looks all too apparent that the brim has been hewn down to make it more modern or feminine or something. This wouldn't be too bad except for the fact that there is as much as a 1/8th inch difference in brim length depending on where you measure.

So, RLK clearly got the better deal of the two hats and I must now contemplate if I am going to send this thing to Optimo for work (which it needs to be wearable).

I don't suppose one of you folks has a Peschel liner for sale? :rolleyes:
So sorry to hear that. Shows how much you can't see in some photos. The felt is probably worth it but definitely a sizeable investment. Mine has no liner or ribbon and a bit small so not too far off yours for a finished and proper fitting hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou