Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

M_Jones said:
No pictures but the hat arrived today and as could be plainly seen from the auction photos the liner is shredded and beyond any kind of repair. The sweatband is unreeded making it more susceptible to separation from the felt which is the case with this hat. I can preserve it for reference but it will never serve its intended purpose again.

Under the sweatband I found a rather large length of some type of belt (modern) to help size the hat down. This is one of two things I consider good news about the hat. Without the belt it is my size. The second good thing is that the felt is flawless with no moth damage anywhere.

Sigh, the not so good. The ribbon is not grosgrain or even vintage. It is some modern craft ribbon used to form a bow and sewn down on one side to make it narrow. And the worst of it is that it looks all too apparent that the brim has been hewn down to make it more modern or feminine or something. This wouldn't be too bad except for the fact that there is as much as a 1/8th inch difference in brim length depending on where you measure.

So, RLK clearly got the better deal of the two hats and I must now contemplate if I am going to send this thing to Optimo for work (which it needs to be wearable).

I don't suppose one of you folks has a Peschel liner for sale? :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about the condition and modification (I had a sense of that from the eBay photos) but this is still a very rare piece. This hat was made prior to WWII at the old factory in Czecho-Slovaki (prior to WWI Austria). This is the first one I have seen from the old factory so you are not going to find a liner. The Peschels I have (and have seen) are post WWII and out of Germany (the family was expelled after WWII same with Hückel). The velour felt (this area was known for the best in the World) is worth the price alone IMHO. Hopefully you can make a servicable hat out of it.

Borsalino

I won this German market Borsalino, 6 Punti. According to the seller it is pre 1948 so maybe late 30s. The sweat and sweat bow are different (similar to late 30s early 40s) than latter German market Borsalinos I have so this could be correct. Also not sure if there were some latter mods made.

3366333830623930.jpg

3661666266303235.jpg

6561653061393434.jpg

3364636130363533.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
mayserwegener said:
I won this German market Borsalino, 6 Punti. According to the seller it is pre 1948 so maybe late 30s. The sweat and sweat bow are different (similar to late 30s early 40s) than latter German market Borsalinos I have so this could be correct. Also not sure if there were some latter modes made.

3366333830623930.jpg

Felt and tip sticker and band are similar to my Borsalino sold in Switzerland with a June 1943 newspaper under the sweat. Nice looking hat:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

rlk said:
Felt and tip sticker and band are similar to my Borsalino sold in Switzerland with a June 1943 newspaper under the sweat. Nice looking hat:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Robert, Thank you for this information / confirmation! :) I am looking forward to its arrival.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
mayserwegener said:
I won this German market Borsalino, 6 Punti. According to the seller it is pre 1948 so maybe late 30s. The sweat and sweat bow are different (similar to late 30s early 40s) than latter German market Borsalinos I have so this could be correct. Also not sure if there were some latter mods made.

3366333830623930.jpg

3661666266303235.jpg

6561653061393434.jpg

3364636130363533.jpg

I stopped bidding, once I realised someone was desperately after it ;)

Great and certainly rare fetch! It should be as old, as mentioned in the description. The original owner passed away in 1948!

The sweatband is also textured like some of the Bulgarian Borsalini, some of us own.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Dreispitz said:

Great and certainly rare fetch! It should be as old, as mentioned in the description. The original owner passed away in 1948!

The sweatband is also textured like some of the Bulgarian Borsalini, some of us own.
Extending speculation... Also has the number sequence beginning with 38.... like most of the Bulgarians and the separate Punti stamp.
Perhaps produced around the same time(possibly 1940-41)

Dreispitz said:

Dieter, Sorry! Yes I went pretty high on this one (for me). :) It certainly does have some of those Bulgarian Borsalino characteristics. It measured under 59cm so will have to see how it works out size wise.

rlk said:
Extending speculation... Also has the number sequence beginning with 38.... like most of the Bulgarians and the separate Punti stamp.
Perhaps produced around the same time(possibly 1940-41)

Robert, Thanks! I asked the seller for some background info since it belonged to her late father.

Mr. Paladin said:
Just BINned this Dobbs. I'm a sucker for the OR design. If the brim is too short to wear it brim up and look ok, then I'll recrease the cattleman to a fedora style.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160418713674&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

That Dobbs is a real beauty! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

In the pics it looks really nice brim up and down but I guess the traditional OR is cattleman + up.

I have a open crown Adam OR clone. I am going to try it with a cattleman.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
mayserwegener said:
Very nice boater! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Hope the sellers measurements hold up.

Thanks! :) The seller was obviously not very knowledgeable, so I emailed her (I'm assuming it's a she, sexist I know;) ) and asked her again if the measurement was the circumference of the sweatband on the inside of the hat, and she replied something to the effect of, "Yes, I measured 24 inches around the head part." If her measurement's reasonably close, it should be OK.

battersby.jpg
[huh]

battersby2.jpg

Anybody know much about this maker, Battersby? Searching through previous threads, there have been a few mentions, and it seems they were a pretty respected maker of top hats and other fine gentleman's hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart