Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
blixa00 said:
So some may feel that it "isn't cricket" to ask the question but after doing this for years I feel it IS fair to ASK the seller because if you don't ask, someone else surely will! It is disappointing to lose the item for less than you were willing to pay simply because you didn't ask the question first and I am sure it has happened to more that a few of my FL brothers and sisters!

Actually, I feel that it isn't cricket for the seller to agree to a price after an auction is running if they didn't have a BIN set from the beginning. I suppose it's hard to resist temptation, though--take the offer or risk selling it for less. But if that's an issue they could have always set a BIN to begin with, and added Make an Offer if they were flexible.

I really can't blame anyone for asking the question of a seller. As some find out, the seller may agree.

Cheers,
Tom

rlk

I'll Lock Up
blixa00 said:
A Vintage topper from Henry Heath LTD purveyors to the king...and a magician's hat as well so if I ever need to pull a rabbit out of my hat on short notice I'll be set! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220616125381&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_527wt_1137 Now I will look just like my avatar!!lol
The sharp eyed amongst you shall note that it was purchased with BIN and yes I asked the seller after another of his items that I was watching (a Dobbs topper) was sold for a BIN price! I personally ALWAYS ask if the seller has a BIN price in mind not so much because I am looking for bargains but because I have had so many items sold out from underneath me (for less than I would have bid or did already have bids in on) simply because I DIDN'T ask first!! So some may feel that it "isn't cricket" to ask the question but after doing this for years I feel it IS fair to ASK the seller because if you don't ask, someone else surely will! It is disappointing to lose the item for less than you were willing to pay simply because you didn't ask the question first and I am sure it has happened to more that a few of my FL brothers and sisters!
Twisted logic. You don't like having something done to you so you do it to others first. Better to say you are looking for a bargain.[huh] You can of course do whatever you like unless someone else does it to you first.

blixa00

One of the Regulars
No I think the logic is sound...the rules of the game are not the same for everyone clearly enough and ultimately the seller decides how he or she disposes of the item and for what price. My point is that in an ideal world where EVERYBODY just BID on the items (no BIN) then the playing field would be level. But Ebay isn't like a real auction, it is more like an electronic flea market with various types of negotiations possible between buyer and seller! In that environment it is best to be fully informed as to all of the possible options available before opting for just one...
I primarily ask if sellers have a BIN price in mind so that I won't waste time bidding auction style on something that is going to be sold outright for the first acceptable offer regardless of what the listing says. I think it is safe to say that ALL of us like bargains, heck that is what Ebay is all about right? There are some folks who will argue that sniping isn't playing fair either...but at least that is more in line with the standard auction format where the highest final bid no matter when placed is the winning bid.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
If there is something I really want and the seller doesn't have that NO BIN statement in the listing I will usually ask if they have a BIN price. I'm hoping they say NO BIN but too often I've missed out because somebody else asked and I didn't.

When a seller ends an auction early for a price way lower than I was willing to pay I blame myself - I should have asked.

Old Austrian Velour

Another beautiful tiny (54cm) old (1930s or older) Austrian Velour for 5,50 EURO! Appears to be in good condition with all original parts. Mario might have won this one, if so looking forward to detailed photos.

!BugMrsgBWk~$(KGrHqZ,!iQEv1+0DZ2KBM!pV3kFzw~~_12.JPG

!BugM+LgCGk~$(KGrHqN,!jMEv1+0BjMiBM!pWjPeSQ~~_12.JPG

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the education on reserves. I've never bid in an auction with one - not because of the reserve, just because nothing I've gone after has had one.

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
rlk said:
Twisted logic. You don't like having something done to you so you do it to others first. Better to say you are looking for a bargain.[huh] You can of course do whatever you like unless someone else does it to you first.
;) ;) ;)
If I ever was to participate in shifty goings on such as that I WOULD AT LEAST OFFER A PRICE CLOSE TO WHAT THE THING IS WORTH!

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:

Easier to explain away the lure of "the dark side" Robert. Just my opinion mind you.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
mayserwegener said:
Mario might have won this one [....].

!BugMrsgBWk~$(KGrHqZ,!iQEv1+0DZ2KBM!pV3kFzw~~_12.JPG

!BugM+LgCGk~$(KGrHqN,!jMEv1+0BjMiBM!pWjPeSQ~~_12.JPG

I actually did.

Just wanted to post the auction photos, but knowing you I thought it might be a good idea to see if you've already posted them before me.

You actually did. :D

I'm keen to find out what size the hat really is. Seller stated there was no tag so he measured the circumference himself... :eusa_doh:

The funny thing is that those last two purchases (both of them really old hats) do not exactly conform to my just recently established buy-only-if-you're-absolutely-sure-you'll-need-it policy... :rolleyes:

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
I'm still shocked everytime I'm following a link here on this thread and end up with a live auction on my monitor!

Ditto for me.

I understand the reasons that the Bartenders have elected to take a new approach.

That being said, even though posting of live eBay auctions is now permitted, I intend to follow the old policy. :)

Cheers,
JtL

RBH

Bartender
I think I am going to go back through this thread and start weeding out the old E -Bay links that no longer work.
That way alot of needless post [now] can be gotten rid of.

Such as this one... not to pick on Gary.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=571226&postcount=202

There is no longer anything to be gained by this post. I will not touch any post that has a active link or photo.

Michaelshane

One Too Many

buler

I'll Lock Up
Michaelshane said:
This is a live auction.......:mad:

I don't like it....

Seller probably does....

Michaelshane, I hear you. As do many others on here. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn