Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Adcurium said:
I was in a bidding war last night and I lost when the auction ended before I got my next bid in! So... Who got it?

This is why I don't bother with putting in false bids. I just bid what I will pay, no more. If someone else wants to pay more for it, oh well, and if I get it for less, guess what? I don't have to pay as much as I planned. I am rather convinced that sniping is really all psychological.

SteveAS

Practically Family
rlk said:
!B)1o99!EWk~$(KGrHqR,!ioEw5G!hLf4BMPLs4l,h!~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...312850&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1154
$31.00?? So what if its Size 7.(No I didn't buy it although I almost did on principal)

Garrett said:
$30 panamas? $800 blocks? The madness has returned! :eek:

As its buyer, I'm happy to have benefited from the madness on the optimo Panama! The seller wrote, "Also, tag says Size 7, I believe it is a large 7, slightly smaller than 7 1/8." Hopefully, he's right, because I'm a small 7-1/8.

SteveAS

Practically Family
Adcurium said:
I was in a bidding war last night and I lost when the auction ended before I got my next bid in! So... Who got it?

This one? I was watching it, but it ended up selling for what I thought was a very high price, given its smallish size and (near stingy) 2" brim.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
Speaking of tacky.......:rolleyes: :p ;)

You're just sore 'cause you were hoping to get a good price
on those babies and now we're all going to bid on them.

Hey, I'm just providing a public service.

And I'd be glad to go back to no posting of live auctions...

Or live auction posts should use the <blink> tag and be in pink only.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Yeps said:
This is why I don't bother with putting in false bids. I just bid what I will pay, no more. If someone else wants to pay more for it, oh well, and if I get it for less, guess what? I don't have to pay as much as I planned. I am rather convinced that sniping is really all psychological.

I'm certain that sniping is psychlogical. A lot of bidders don't put their best bid in at first. For whatever reason, they will sit and watch their lower-than-best bid lead the auction right up until the last few seconds and then be upset when they lose to a bid that is actually lower than the amount they would have paid.

If I really want something, I wait until the last few seconds and place my best bid once. If I do it right that other bidder doesn't get a chance to outbid me. If somebody else out-snipes me, oh well.

For most things, I throw my best bid at it when I see it and that is that.

feltfan said:
You're just sore 'cause you were hoping to get a good price
on those babies and now we're all going to bid on them.

Hey, I'm just providing a public service.

And I'd be glad to go back to no posting of live auctions...

Or live auction posts should use the <blink> tag and be in pink only.

Oh yeah, I want to look like that Equalizer guy in a tweed hat. ;) :p
Pink? How about chartreuse. :p

Adcurium

A-List Customer
BanjoMerlin said:
I'm certain that sniping is psychlogical. A lot of bidders don't put their best bid in at first. For whatever reason, they will sit and watch their lower-than-best bid lead the auction right up until the last few seconds and then be upset when they lose to a bid that is actually lower than the amount they would have paid.

If I really want something, I wait until the last few seconds and place my best bid once. If I do it right that other bidder doesn't get a chance to outbid me. If somebody else out-snipes me, oh well.

For most things, I throw my best bid at it when I see it and that is that.

But I think the thing that makes Ebay fun is watching the auction and participating as it draws to a close. Actually, my last-minute bids were a result of me watching the auction and thinking "Yeah, I'll go a little higher."

Adcurium said:
But I think the thing that makes Ebay fun is watching the auction and participating as it draws to a close. Actually, my last-minute bids were a result of me watching the auction and thinking "Yeah, I'll go a little higher."

All good reasons to use a sniping program to place a bid and forget it until you get a win or lose email. ;) You save money and stress that way. :D

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
All good reasons to use a sniping program to place a bid and forget it until you get a win or lose email. ;) You save money and stress that way. :D

Why not just put the bid in ebay the regular way?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred