Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

SteveAS

Practically Family
Poorly listed Borsalino (on which I was the under-bidder), which looks like a great hat for the money.

!B)7Iow!!2k~$(KGrHqF,!i8Ew5judG52BMPiFs7pHQ~~0_12.JPG

!B)7Iwug!Wk~$(KGrHqJ,!hgEw5L-toc!BMPiGGc-Qg~~0_12.JPG

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
Because I never show my hand until the end. 5 or 6 seconds before the end of an auction is soon enough. I would prefer to place my bid near the end not at the beginning---leaving time for someone to snipe me at the end. ;)

shhhhhhhh

donnc

One of the Regulars
BanjoMerlin said:
I'm certain that sniping is psychlogical. A lot of bidders don't put their best bid in at first. For whatever reason, they will sit and watch their lower-than-best bid lead the auction right up until the last few seconds and then be upset when they lose to a bid that is actually lower than the amount they would have paid.

If I really want something, I wait until the last few seconds and place my best bid once. If I do it right that other bidder doesn't get a chance to outbid me. If somebody else out-snipes me, oh well.

For most things, I throw my best bid at it when I see it and that is that.

After many years of bidding on various kinds of stuff, I finally signed up with a sniping service a couple weeks ago, when I saw that an item I wanted had attracted a bidding fool, and I wasn't willing to hang around to take care of it in person at the close. I'm sure that bidder was one of the type you describe - he started at a low price and just kept increasing his bid until it finally passed the previous high bid. Then he stopped, and that's where it was at the close a couple days later - and I don't doubt that he was annoyed, there's no reason to think he wouldn't have paid more. How much more? I don't know, and I suppose he didn't know. I was supposed to help him figure that out, by letting him bid against me.

But I deployed my new sniping service, and I "won"! Or, in view of what eventually came in the mail, maybe that isn't so clear. If he'd had the opportunity to bid the price up till it hurt, I believe he would have been annoyed at what he got for it.

donnc said:
After many years of bidding on various kinds of stuff, I finally signed up with a sniping service a couple weeks ago, when I saw that an item I wanted had attracted a bidding fool, and I wasn't willing to hang around to take care of it in person at the close. I'm sure that bidder was one of the type you describe - he started at a low price and just kept increasing his bid until it finally passed the previous high bid. Then he stopped, and that's where it was at the close a couple days later - and I don't doubt that he was annoyed, there's no reason to think he wouldn't have paid more. How much more? I don't know, and I suppose he didn't know. I was supposed to help him figure that out, by letting him bid against me.

But I deployed my new sniping service, and I "won"! Or, in view of what eventually came in the mail, maybe that isn't so clear. If he'd had the opportunity to bid the price up till it hurt, I believe he would have been annoyed at what he got for it.

This is a good point. Sometimes you just don't want to cross swords with a bidding fool who will try to plumb up to the highest existing bid to be on top. Make him sweat it out at 99 cents until the end and then nail him when he has nowhere to go. ;)

thebroker

One of the Regulars
Yeps said:
Can anyone tell me about this Stetson?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...537608&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1154
I didn't end up buying it, but I definitely would have won. Aside from it being rather dirty, is there any reason why it went for so low?

This guy lives at my house now. Actually, I got it two days ago and I already sent it out for some work, including a good cleaning. I've been a long-time lurker here but finally signed up, and ironically here's a post about a hat I just got!

Carnage

One of the Regulars
I had an incident at work (police officer) last week that ruined my favourite Lock & Co hat (A Chelsea ) as I haven't had a chance to pop back there in a while and I was looking on ebay and found this

4iobjr.jpg

Ordered it yesterday and it is here today and I love it, it's a very well made and lovely hat, and it cost me less than £15, I can see myself wearing this for work now and saving my other hats for situations I am less likely to get in a fight lol

martin576

New in Town
Carnage said:
I had an incident at work (police officer) last week that ruined my favourite Lock & Co hat (A Chelsea ) as I haven't had a chance to pop back there in a while and I was looking on ebay and found this

4iobjr.jpg

Ordered it yesterday and it is here today and I love it, it's a very well made and lovely hat, and it cost me less than £15, I can see myself wearing this for work now and saving my other hats for situations I am less likely to get in a fight lol

Nice to see another Brit on here - and how did i miss that hat !
Ruined your Locks hat during police work ! Chasing hoodlums or a mishap in the station canteen ? ;-)

Carnage

One of the Regulars
martin576 said:
Nice to see another Brit on here - and how did i miss that hat !
Ruined your Locks hat during police work ! Chasing hoodlums or a mishap in the station canteen ? ;-)

Dropped it while chasing someone near Waterloo station and a kind bus ran it over, it was like something out of KeyStone Cops....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred