Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

imanav8r

New in Town
In sizes 7 1/4 to 7 1/2 I have:

7 1/4:
Brown Stetson Select - 2 1/2" brim
Brown Royal Stetson - 2 1/2" brim (small moth marks under the brim)
Brown Lord Bitmore - 2 1/4" brim
Grey Mallory Century - 2 1/2" brim
Light Grey Stetson Select - 2 1/2" brim (has a fade mark abv the ribbon)
Blue/Grey Stetson Select - 2 1/2" brim (has a fade mark abv the ribbon)
Blue/Grey Stetson Select - 2 1/2" brim

7 3/8:

Brown Steton Select - 2 1/2" brim
Brown Royal Stetson Whippet - 2 1/2" brim (this will likely be on ebay shortly)

7 1/2:

Black Biltmore Cavalier - 1 3/4" brim
Brown Biltmore Sky Rider - 2 1/4" brim
Brown Mallory Century - 2 1/2" brim
Brown Stetson Select - 2 1/4" brim
Brown Brock - 2 1/2" brim

Hope this provides some temptations, lol :)

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AHMAHGAHD

imanav8r said:

7 1/4:

7 3/8:

7 1/2:

:eek: Is a bear Catholic? Does the Pope... well never mind. Ya'll are gonna make out like bandits, but judging from the already posted prices, it'll be too rich for my blood. :eusa_doh:
Good luck tho'! Someday I hope to make a similar discovery! :D

rlk

I'll Lock Up
P.O.Hat

!ByIJ8KwBGk~$(KGrHqR,!i4Ew5QsJdN!BMQd2166n!~~0_3.JPG

saucerfiend

Practically Family
imanav8r said:

7 1/4:

7 3/8:

7 1/2:

What do you have in size 7? 2-2 1/2 brim fedora. Please give email address.

Brian

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
W4ASZ said:
The correct matching item will come to you, perhaps at the Goodwill.

You have released your anger, now accept that Fate has decreed that you have this hat, and that everything will become clear to you, in time.

To be completely honest, I've scored a couple of pigs on da Bay. You did much better ! :)

You are right, of course. I do like the hat so I guess I'll just have to find something to go with it.

Apologies for the rant. I feel better now.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
imanav8r said:
I have a couple auctions up - selling on behalf of someone else who has set the prices, so they're not my doing :)

What you have there is a self-correcting exercise! Very nice hats, but at those sizes and those starting prices I'd be very surprised if you got a single bid.

You can sometimes get away with a starting bid that high on a larger-sized hat such as 7 1/4 and up, but even that is rare. As has been discussed before, it's a psycological thing. People want at least the illusion that they have a chance at getting a fantastic hat cheap, so even if the starting bid is under what they might have been willing to bid in the end they don't bid at all. I've seen hats with a high starting bid not sell, only to be relisted at a lower starting bid and in the end go considerably higher than the original auction start point. [huh] Same thing with high reserves.

Just my own theory based on a number of years of watching such auctions and my own reaction to high starting bids. YMMV! :D

Of course, there's no telling what may happen during the course of a particular auction so it's a gamble when you set a low starting price as well. They don't always result in high ending bids! Starting bidding at what you (or your friend, in this case) consider your lowest acceptable price or setting a reserve there are the only ways to protect yourself from that sort of thing.

Cheers,
Tom

Rick Blaine

What he said...

Tango Yankee said:
What you have there is a self-correcting exercise! Very nice hats, but at those sizes and those starting prices I'd be very surprised if you got a single bid.

You can sometimes get away with a starting bid that high on a larger-sized hat such as 7 1/4 and up, but even that is rare. As has been discussed before, it's a psycological thing. People want at least the illusion that they have a chance at getting a fantastic hat cheap, so even if the starting bid is under what they might have been willing to bid in the end they don't bid at all. I've seen hats with a high starting bid not sell, only to be relisted at a lower starting bid and in the end go considerably higher than the original auction start point. [huh] Same thing with high reserves.

Just my own theory based on a number of years of watching such auctions and my own reaction to high starting bids. YMMV! :D

Of course, there's no telling what may happen during the course of a particular auction so it's a gamble when you set a low starting price as well. They don't always result in high ending bids! Starting bidding at what you (or your friend, in this case) consider your lowest acceptable price or setting a reserve there are the only ways to protect yourself from that sort of thing.

Cheers,
Tom

Agreed, 7 3/8 & up will command those sort of prices 6 7/8,7, 7 1/8 -not so much.

imanav8r

New in Town
email is imanav8r@hotmail.com

List of size 7 hats with 2 1/2" brim:

Stetson Select 2-1/2" Grey
Stetson Select 2-1/2" Grey
Lord Biltmore Sky Ryder 2-1/2" Grey
Stetson Premier 2-1/2" Grey
Lord Biltmore Sky Ryder 2-1/2" Brown
Stetson Select 2-1/2" Brown
Royal Biltmore 2-1/2" Brown

Thanks for the pricing advice/info guys! I tried to convince him to start low, but he didn't want to pay for a reserve auction, and is a bit of a stubborn old-timer, lol. If they don't sell, I'll have to convince him to start lower and maybe have a reserve. If you knew him, you'd know it'll be a challange.... lol

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
imanav8r said:
Thanks for the pricing advice/info guys! I tried to convince him to start low, but he didn't want to pay for a reserve auction, and is a bit of a stubborn old-timer, lol. If they don't sell, I'll have to convince him to start lower and maybe have a reserve. If you knew him, you'd know it'll be a challange.... lol

Sounds like my father-in-law! He's right, everyone else is wrong, period! lol lol

Good luck! :D

Cheers,
Tom

Rick Blaine

True

I would dare say that prices may well-nigh increase 7x for a popular model (e.g. Strat or Whippet) from a size 7 to size 7 1/2. It's a fact...ish sorta thing. Tell yr. Bud you guys' will still do well (with many here in on it, I suspect). But these fellas know about which they speak...my .o2

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Rick Blaine said:
I would dare say that prices may well-nigh increase 7x for a popular model (e.g. Strat or Whippet) from a size 7 to size 7 1/2. It's a fact...ish sorta thing. Tell yr. Bud you guys' will still do well (with many here in on it, I suspect). But these fellas know about which they speak...my .o2

Those not-in-the-know have no concept of the difference in value the "exact same" hat will have in a different size.

Smaller hats get smaller prices, that's just the way it is.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
BanjoMerlin said:
Those not-in-the-know have no concept of the difference in value the "exact same" hat will have in a different size.

Smaller hats get smaller prices, that's just the way it is.
But not for new ones(or their original prices for vintage)... Is there a syndicate or price-fixing, a secret agreement? Its way beyond merely supply and demand. Sometimes there are many bidders and still no one bids over $30.00. Only Garrett seems to be willing to pay for an exceptional small hat.[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn