Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
thebroker said:
I'm stalking a beautiful vintage milan hat on eBay right now It already has my initials stamped into it...all three of them...even though it was made decades before my birth. That has to be a sign, right? :)

I've always wanted to find one with mine already in it!! Good luck!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Recent BIN

Fiddy dollahs + shipping. I like it, very Moose River -ish or Strat -like, if you please. Looks unworn. Too bad it'll be three to four months 'til I can wear it, eh? Brent was monkey-wards' brand, right? We think it was made by Lee as I recall... can't wait!

Brent3.jpg

Brent1.jpg

Brent2.jpg

Garrett

HarpPlayerGene said:
I've always wanted to find one with mine already in it!! Good luck!

Was hoping to find one with mine as well but G W is not the best set of those to have :(

Rick Blaine said:
Fiddy dollahs + shipping. I like it, very Moose River -ish or Strat -like, if you please. Looks unworn. Too bad it'll be three to four months 'til I can wear it, eh? Brent was monkey-wards' brand, right? We think it was made by Lee as I recall... can't wait!

Brent3.jpg

Brent1.jpg

Brent2.jpg

Very nice Rick. I have one similar, kind of a mid blue-gray. Not a bad hat at all, and probably a lot less than you would pay for a Strat.

Rick Blaine said:

It was a Montgomery Ward brand and it was likely produced by Lee. You did very well. I like my Brent Adventurer. They were/are nice hats that are the same bodies as the stratoliner. They just had less flashy accoutrements---ribbon, binding, liner etc. Lee called them farmer hats as they sold tons to farmers with thin ribbons and thin bound edges. They were popular and the price made them that much more. :D

Rick Blaine

Thanks, fellas

thanks 'phile & JP,
I have a Lee brand Adventurer, in fact it is the 1st photo in the 1st post on this thread:
Lee_ADV.jpg

I wonder if is the same as the Brent?

Over the years I have found myself biased in favor of "farmer hats" in preference to my wider ribbons. It feels more 'dressed down' or casual. More Proletariat, not putting on airs.

They work better w/ my wardrobe, I think. Especially my overalls! lol

Rick Blaine said:
thanks 'phile & JP,
I have a Lee brand Adventurer, in fact it is the 1st photo in the 1st post on this thread:
Lee_ADV.jpg

Over the years I have found myself biased in favor of "farmer hats" in preference to my wider ribbons. It feels more 'dressed down' or casual. More Proletariat, not putting on airs.

My Brent is in blue with a raw edge so the raw edge might be the difference. I bet Lee probably used the same bodies and saved a bit by leaving the edge raw. I still like it though and it does travel very well. You can roll it up and it will survive easily.
A farmer hat was likely their church hat. When it wore out pretty well then it might have been worn in the fields with overalls. ;) Hats probably rotated through their closet that way. They needed a respectable hat for the city---to maybe wear with overalls. :D

RBH

Bartender
Rick Blaine said:
thanks 'phile & JP,
Lee_ADV.jpg

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
RBH said:
A straw, like the new Whippet. Which I happen to like alot*.

*see avatar

I wondered about that. Stetson has to start using the Stratoliner trademark by October 2010 or they will lose it and have to start the process all over again (unless they file an extension).

I think they pretty much have to put a Stratoliner in their next catalog. Would that be Spring 2011?

They filed for the trademark in August of 2009 so if they were planning a Stratoliner for Fall 2010 they were pushing it.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
BanjoMerlin said:
I wondered about that. Stetson has to start using the Stratoliner trademark by October 2010 or they will lose it and have to start the process all over again (unless they file an extension).

I think they pretty much have to put a Stratoliner in their next catalog. Would that be Spring 2011?

They filed for the trademark in August of 2009 so if they were planning a Stratoliner for Fall 2010 they were pushing it.
They may be using it for products other than a hat already or in the future. Sunglasses have already used some former hat names. Could be Stratoliner socks or underwear, since Stetson Corporate licensing will sell anything[huh]

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
rlk said:
They may be using it for products other than a hat already or in the future. Sunglasses have already used some former hat names. Could be Stratoliner socks or underwear, since Stetson Corporate licensing will sell anything[huh]

Could be, but the trademark application is limited to "Goods and Services: Headwear" so they would have to be planning to start a new fad as well.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
My latest Ebay purchase

I just picked this up for about $35.

NewDobbsFithAvenue.jpg

Here was the description:
This is a vintage Dobbs Fifth Avenue New York men's fur felt fedora, size 7-1/8 with the original box. I believe it is circa 1950's. The inside of the hat reads Dobbs Fifth Avenue New York, Dobbs Fifteen with the Stagecoach emblem, Ware Pratt Co. Quality Corner Worcester, Mass also Guild Edge in a crest, and has the letters ENA. I inherited this along with items from my Great Uncle's estate. This hat does have some age wear, not noticeable when worn. It has some very small moth nibbles, although one nice feature is the box and the hat does not have a bad smell, there is a very small hole in the lining, also does have some age discoloration in the lining. The box is intact, both lid and bottom, but does have age wear mostly along the cardboard edges. The hat is light taupe in color, with an approximate 2-1/2" brim and a crown height of 5".

What do you guys think?

I've never owned a hat this color and being a trial lawyer, we have certain superstitions against wearing anything other than dark grey or black. So my question is: do I need to change my wardrobe if I want to look like a million bucks with this thing on my mellon?

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
The taupe should go well with charcoal, navy and khaki. I wouldn't see a problem wearing this with a charcoal suit, and you can try it with a black suit, but I think it might start to look too close to brown when paired with black.

thebroker

One of the Regulars
New Milan!

In today's mail, I got my second eBay purchase...a VERY nice Biltmore Milan. The listing didn't include a picture of the inside, so I was very pleasantly surprised to find a great leather sweat band. The hat was of even better quality than I expected it to be...I put it on as soon as it came and wore it all day...very comfortable! It might just become my every day hat.

IMG_6807.jpg

IMG_5249.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn