Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

RBH

Bartender
BanjoMerlin said:
I wondered about that. Stetson has to start using the Stratoliner trademark by October 2010 or they will lose it and have to start the process all over again (unless they file an extension).

I think they pretty much have to put a Stratoliner in their next catalog. Would that be Spring 2011?

They filed for the trademark in August of 2009 so if they were planning a Stratoliner for Fall 2010 they were pushing it.
I believe the last time they {Stetson} filed the Stratoliner name was in 1985.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
I took a potshot at this neat advertising piece, but missed it - I hope one of you folks got it. I have a miniature long-haired dachshund, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bid.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
NUTS!

Well my snipe program failed, or its' operator perhaps :eek:

The upshot: Now I'll never know what it is like having a raccoon wiener bone in the band of my hat! :( ...only one I've ever seen, on a HAT that is.

weinerhat2.jpg
Weinerhat1.jpg

I do recall from childhood, someones' G'pa used one as a pipe tool, a dim memory, from the last past century, at best. Well if any of ya'll got it & conclude it's "just not you", keep me in mind!

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice Lid, Great Pug.....

thebroker said:
In today's mail, I got my second eBay purchase...a VERY nice Biltmore Milan. The listing didn't include a picture of the inside, so I was very pleasantly surprised to find a great leather sweat band. The hat was of even better quality than I expected it to be...I put it on as soon as it came and wore it all day...very comfortable! It might just become my every day hat.

IMG_6807.jpg

IMG_5249.jpg
,,,,,but trying not to be harsh. I personally thing it's way too much taper for you. [huh]

thebroker

One of the Regulars
When I looked at this picture not long after I got it, I thought the same thing. However, after I finally got the brim tamed (it was misshapen from shipping) and got it situated on my head, it looks a lot less tapered, and it fits a whole lot better. Also, this is a bad angle that makes it look like it has a whole lot more taper than it actually does. All in all, once I got used to it and figured out how it wears best, it doesn't look so bad.

thebroker

One of the Regulars
Rick Blaine said:
Well my snipe program failed, or its' operator perhaps :eek:

The upshot: Now I'll never know what it is like having a raccoon wiener bone in the band of my hat! :( ...only one I've ever seen, on a HAT that is.

I'd never thought of using one of those bones to decorate a hat...I come from a hunting family, and although I haven't seen a raccoon bone in ages, my Dad always has a few bear "bones" laying around after bear season. Personally, I'd never think to, um, keep it, but it's apparently a common thing in the Appalachians. If this turns out to be a good bear season, I'll try to remember to pick one up for you...then you can make your own hat band, since you didn't win this one :)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
No. Lee didn't make the Stratoliner. I didn't mean to make it sound that way. :eusa_doh:
However, if Stetson and Lee weren't using their own in house bodies they were likely getting them from the same source at the time. ;)

That reminds me of a question that I've asked a couple times before, and to which I never got an answer. Do most custom hatters in this country (let's say the big four or five) get their bodies from the same place?

Take "pure" beaver for example, are American custom hatters all starting will the same bodies? Or are they getting them from various sources? And if they are getting them from the same source, are they all using the same grade beaver bodies? Or are there several grades presently available and in use?

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Felt Optimo

You know, I haven't had a lot of money to buy hats lately, so I wanted to wait until something really...unique came along. And it did! I've always admired the Art custom Faulkner that Alan had made. So, here you go -

It's a Dobb's in 7 5/8 and got it on a Best Offer.
DSCF0009.jpg

Carnage

One of the Regulars
Just won and paid for another fedora from Ebay UK, no picture and the vendor had misspelt "Fedora" so I suggest this is why it went for £3.50 :D

Will pop up some photos when she arrives.

zetwal said:
That reminds me of a question that I've asked a couple times before, and to which I never got an answer. Do most custom hatters in this country (let's say the big four or five) get their bodies from the same place?

Take "pure" beaver for example, are American custom hatters all starting will the same bodies? Or are they getting them from various sources? And if they are getting them from the same source, are they all using the same grade beaver bodies? Or are there several grades presently available and in use?

I don't know all hatters but the ones I do know get their bodies from different sources. They are not cookie cutter hats.
There are probably several grades out there, several blends and several weights as well. However, the best grade of hat made by a poor custom hatter isn't a very good hat at all. ;) What you buy with a custom is experience and their ability to produce the best hat possible with the best materials or various grade thereof. You also buy a custom fit to you specifically---not a reasonable facsimilie for the masses.

RBH

Bartender
Mr. Lucky said:
You know, I haven't had a lot of money to buy hats lately, so I wanted to wait until something really...unique came along. And it did! I've always admired the Art custom Faulkner that Alan had made. So, here you go -

It's a Dobb's in 7 5/8 and got it on a Best Offer.
DSCF0009.jpg
WOW! Lucky that is a nice one!!!
Cant wait to see it on you. IndyCop had one made by the Major this past March . Check his out also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn