Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Mobile Vulgus said:
Well, in my first full month of hat-buying on ebay, here is the result...

hats_8sofar.JPG

(The light gray one on the burgandy hat box was not from ebay, though. I bought that one from a vintage clothing store I found on the Internet tubuals.)

Whew! I'm glad I'm not the only guy who went all apey over hats after catching the fedora bug....

billyspew

One Too Many
thebroker said:
I was bidding on this one right up to the end. I stopped at about fifty bucks...I should have kept it up! Although, my plan was to have the band replaced with something more traditional.

What?!

Surely that was the "unique selling point" of this hat? Kinda glad you did stop, hopefully whoever got it plans to keep the ribbon.

excuse me, cashier...

Mobile Vulgus said:
Well, in my first full month of hat-buying on ebay, here is the result...

hats_8sofar.JPG

(The light gray one on the burgandy hat box was not from ebay, though. I bought that one from a vintage clothing store I found on the Internet tubuals.)

I will take the one on the red box, and the adam on the right. Thank you :)

all jokes aside, almost every adam I've seem has that "box" bow treatment, was that a "trademark" of Adam hats?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
[IMGhttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4090/5018950723_5c546e0642_b.jpg[/IMG]
Store logo change puts it before '35

In a 7 1/2, that would have been my one hat purchase for the year, at 3x the price. What a great hat.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
billyspew said:
What?!

Surely that was the "unique selling point" of this hat? Kinda glad you did stop, hopefully whoever got it plans to keep the ribbon.

+1. How is the ribbon more traditional when it's not original to the vintage hat? The hat itself is tradition. [huh]

rlk

I'll Lock Up
kaosharper1 said:
Did you get this one RLK? It's a beauty. I watched, but it wasn't my size.
I did win this one. Not sure exactly about the size, but the sweatband is bad enough that I wouldn't feel too guilty resizing. Seller claims to have worn it "snug" and is a 7-1/4. I am a big fan of Dobbs CC and they are so soft, with ultra-thin non-reeded sweatband, that they are more size flexible than most(I have a wearable 7-1/8 with original band). My 5th CC but first with ventilation holes.:D

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
RobFedoraField said:
I will take the one on the red box, and the adam on the right. Thank you :)

all jokes aside, almost every Adam I've seem has that "box" bow treatment, was that a "trademark" of Adam hats?

That one on the red box is a Bond Imperial Ten is a very nice light gray shade. It is a pristine hat, too. $40 was my price (including shipping). So far that is one of my favorites.

As to the Adams bows, no they made other bows, too. The hat just below it in that photo is also an Adams and it has the standard bow.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
zetwal said:
Wow! the bidding really did go through the roof on that one. I hope it turns out to be a real gem for you! ;)

The seller was smart, he/she put a reserve of about 180 on it. That was the second time it was listed, the first time nobody bidded high enough to meet the reserve so I made sure to put in a 200+ bid the second go round just to be on the safe side.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Wow! that second one is really something too. I see those hats are doing really well on ebay at the moment. High starting prices or reserves will often hamper the bidding on men's hats. Perhaps that isn't the case with women's hats. Either way, congrats on your new purchases. It's always exciting to find and purchase something special. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters