Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
GOOD ON YA'

CaramelSmoothie said:
The bidding really went up for this one, but I was determined to get it. My comfort zone for such a hat is usually no more than about $150, but oh well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140454111209&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

CaramelSmoothie said:
I just won this PRISTINE 1920s cloche! No one else bid on it but me! YAY!!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130431863062&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Those both look like gems, 'Smoothie... the bees' knees, exciting, even vicariously! Nice way to wrap up a week, eh?
:D

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
kaosharper1 said:
What a beauty!

I can't believe that I was the only person who bid on it. But then again, it had a high starting price of $185 so maybe that it was what deterred others. I am sure that if the bidding started ridiculously low that it would have went into the 200 or even 300 dollar range.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
CaramelSmoothie said:
I can't believe that I was the only person who bid on it. But then again, it had a high starting price of $185 so maybe that it was what deterred others. I am sure that if the bidding started ridiculously low that it would have went into the 200 or even 300 dollar range.

That is an ebay seller mistake I see all the time. Starting bids too high (even if the item is actually worth that much) kills off most auctions. Start with a low bid then have a reserve price. That way you can get people imagining they'll get a bargain -- and consequently getting caught up in the bidding process -- and you end up getting what you wanted in the first place.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Mobile Vulgus said:
That is an ebay seller mistake I see all the time. Starting bids too high (even if the item is actually worth that much) kills off most auctions. Start with a low bid then have a reserve price. That way you can get people imagining they'll get a bargain -- and consequently getting caught up in the bidding process -- and you end up getting what you wanted in the first place.

Yes I agree with this (I hope there are no Ebay sellers reading this because I would love for them to keep making this "mistake"lol ) The seller actually had the hat listed for about 10 bucks more on another non-auction site but it did not sell there so I bet he thought he/she could get it to go up to that or more on Ebay. Lucky for me it didn't.

thebroker

One of the Regulars
Mobile Vulgus said:

You are exactly right, sir. I have found myself caught up in bidding wars for items that started at ten bucks and ended at $150...but if the starting price were $150, I wouldn't have bid on it in the first place. There's no difference at the end of the day...but it's a psychological thing on the part of bidders.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Mobile Vulgus said:
Start with a low bid then have a reserve price.

Setting a reserve also eliminates some bidders. I'm not sure I understand their logic but for whatever reason they won't bid if there is a reserve.

Bidding is free. If you don't hit the reserve you are NOT under any obligation to purchase the item so you haven't "tied up" any money. If the seller lowers the reserve to an amount lower than your bid eBay automatically reduces your bid to $1 less than the reserve so you still aren't obligated to purchase.

I do use the reserve once in a while but I put the reserve amount in the description. The reserve amount isn't some big national secret, I'm just trying to get more people to look at my listing.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
Not sure about the Borso, but the 20 didn't go north of $200 as I recall... [huh]

That surprises me. This looks to be an early 50's Sovereign Open Road -- and I imagine that the felt is very, very nice. Guess I'll see when it arrives...;)

SovOR.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
BanjoMerlin said:
Setting a reserve also eliminates some bidders. I'm not sure I understand their logic but for whatever reason they won't bid if there is a reserve.

Bidding is free. If you don't hit the reserve you are NOT under any obligation to purchase the item so you haven't "tied up" any money. If the seller lowers the reserve to an amount lower than your bid eBay automatically reduces your bid to $1 less than the reserve so you still aren't obligated to purchase.

I do use the reserve once in a while but I put the reserve amount in the description. The reserve amount isn't some big national secret, I'm just trying to get more people to look at my listing.

LOL @ the bolded. What I hate are private bidder listings. I always suspect that the seller is trying to shill bid whenever the bidder identities are set to private.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters