Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

carter

I'll Lock Up
Won - 7 5/8 Portis

Finally - let's hope it really is a 7 5/8.
81db_1.JPG
84c1_1.JPG

Description:
black beaver blend fedora hat size 7 5/8 Portis original box included box has some stains hat is in excellent condition no stains or moth bites inner band has XXX gold bond beaver Dick Wright Men's Wear Macon, Missouri.

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
randooch said:
That's a nice hat, indeed. Great color! I've been looking for a classy tan number, but in a bigger size. Drat!

I'm just worried about that ? in the description of the hat. Don't really care if it's beaver felt as long as it's not wool. It doesn't appear to be from the photo, but I'm no expert on the matter. I'm not even famliar with the brand. I just really liked the color. I wish the seller would have posted more photos. I would have liked to have seen the liner.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Figured Bolthead would get it

carter said:
Finally - let's hope it really is a 7 5/8.
81db_1.JPG
84c1_1.JPG

Description:
black beaver blend fedora hat size 7 5/8 Portis original box included box has some stains hat is in excellent condition no stains or moth bites inner band has XXX gold bond beaver Dick Wright Men's Wear Macon, Missouri.

Nice Hat I tracked it expecting to see bolthead at the wire.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Congrads
:eusa_clap

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
...and that this one, with its larger size and sort-of-gay-prince styling, didn't go for more.
c405_1.JPG
bb6b_1.JPG

Those are great hats and I too am a bit surprised that it didn't go for more, but look at the photo of the underside of the brim and you might see why.

Like mine, this Imperial has moth nips and nibbles all over the brim. They must be tasty hats.

carter

I'll Lock Up
GWD, Good buy on that Portis! I like the color. Nice.

Lefty, That No. 1 Quality Stetson may be a bit rough. There appears to be some mothing in one of the photos of the sweatband which is pretty worn and there is no liner as far as I can tell. I have a No. 1 Quality in grey and it has a red liner. Did these always have a liner?
Also, unless the prospective buyer reads all the seller's comments, the shipping in the high twenty dollar range will scare off a lot of folks.

thunderw21 is correct regarding moth issue with the Imperial. There are quite a few obvious divots on the underside of the brim in one of the auction photos.

With the number of excellent-appearing hats and free or low shipping being offered on ebay lately, I think buyers can be more selective.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Nice Portises (Porti?)!
I think that Portis made the most stylish hats of any brand.

Carter, I think that the source of that No. 1 quality makes it pretty special. I have no idea if that hat would have come with a liner, but if there's no marking in the crown, it probably did have one.

No. 1 Quality is just that - the quality. The number of models offered within that quality range probably ran into the hundreds. That 1922 price page in Hat Talk that I wrote about in the Stetson Think Tank thread had quite a few available in No. 1, and that's just during one year, and possibly in one market.

I'm not a fan of the ribbon on this one, and it's got some mothing, but it's still pretty interesting. From the sweat, it's right up Mannyspaghetti's alley.
8e54_12.JPG

9178_12.JPG

94f3_12.JPG

carter

I'll Lock Up
Canadian Beaver Homburg BIN today.

This beauty needed a good home. Here's part of the seller's description:

Vintage Biltmore Homburg Beaver Blend Fedora 7 5/8
This is a magnificent hat by one of the world's premier hat makers! This Canadian Beaver Blend hat has a De Luxe Finish. Hat is a rich, dark midnight blue. Awesome color! The 1 3/4 inch ribbon matches the shade of the hat. It has a 2 1/2 inch brim finished in the Homburg style. The crown is approx. 5 inches. Hat size tag is 7 5/8. Circumference measures approx. 24 inches, with front to back measuring 8 inches and side to side measuring 6 3/4 inches. This was purchased at an estate sale in Canada.
Hat is in superb, vintage quality condition!

191874377_o.jpg

191874389_tp.jpg
191874398_tp.jpg
191874407_tp.jpg

Here's one for all the silly w**kers who like feathers:
191874414_o.jpg

Interior shots:
191874425_tp.jpg
191874437_tp.jpg
191874453_tp.jpg

191874472_tp.jpg
191874487_tp.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I saw that fuzzy and thought you might get it, as you seem to be going pretty nuts lately.:) Are you averaging about a hat a week now?

carter

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
I saw that fuzzy and thought you might get it, as you seem to be going pretty nuts lately.:) Are you averaging about a hat a week now?
Something like that. This Biltmore looks like a real beauty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav