Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

barrowjh

One Too Many
I had set a bid for the Hat Life Directory of $133, but the snipe never triggered because the bidding 'leaped' over that spot. I chose that price by looking up a current Hat Life Directory - the 2010 version sells for $84 - and then going up 58% for 58 years (2011-1953). So much for my dumb math! I just wanted to 2nd RLK's comment - at $84 in current times, it was unlikely to have been given away free, though it would have been considerably less than $84.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Just won this Stetson Royal De Luxe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=130489746251&si=ns0oA9Z1KyA7Eq0iqTrUHyQMW3Y%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

And for some reason I bought this. I like the ribbon, so I may use the hat as a parts hat, or try to restore it and hide most of the moth bits.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...HyQMW3Y%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Nice ones, Josh, I really like the Stetson. The Knox 2-tone is interesting.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
My observations as of late on Ebay are that a lot of the best hats are bought by people who hang out here. Over the past few weeks the prices on the 7 to 71/4 hats have seemed to stabilized and come down to the $100.00 and lower mark. If you look back there are a lot of comments from Lefty (nice hat went for less then I thought it would). So the Pin Heads of the Lounge have the hats they want and need and the prices are doping. Now if the Big Heads would do the same I could get some Lids at a cheep price. :)

Jeff

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Nice ones, Josh, I really like the Stetson. The Knox 2-tone is interesting.

Thanks hatophile! I cant wait to get the Stetson. The Knox was interesting to me too, but to be honest, I didn't even realize it was a two-tone till I bought it. It has a good amount of month nibbles. The stuff on the crown can be covered by a slightly thicker ribbon and the ones on the edge of the underweldt will most likely be taken care of by me trimming the brim just slightly. As far as the underside of the brim, that's going to be tough. I think I might try some light sanding to see if I can make the hat visually more uniform. I wont know until I get it in though. [huh]

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I had set a bid for the Hat Life Directory of $133, but the snipe never triggered because the bidding 'leaped' over that spot. I chose that price by looking up a current Hat Life Directory - the 2010 version sells for $84 - and then going up 58% for 58 years (2011-1953). So much for my dumb math! I just wanted to 2nd RLK's comment - at $84 in current times, it was unlikely to have been given away free, though it would have been considerably less than $84.

I was thinking about all the directory's I get in my work like this that cost nothing to me do to the ad's in them.
As they are only good for a year it seems kind of high for me but I am not in the hat business.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW