Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...LojDaWQ%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I am not sure I can post a link but here goes. I recently purchased this hat from ebay, and I am looking foward to getting it. I am not sure I will like the vented crown but I just couldn't help myself. I guess I will just have to wait until it arrives to decide what to do with it.

I would like to do another conversion, and I wanted a black one, but I am not sure if the vent holes will look ok on a Fedora. If I do convert it, I am probably going to stay with the braded hatband, so maybe the vent holes will look ok. We will see.

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gopher it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...LojDaWQ%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I am not sure I can post a link but here goes. I recently purchased this hat from ebay, and I am looking foward to getting it. I am not sure I will like the vented crown but I just couldn't help myself. I guess I will just have to wait until it arrives to decide what to do with it.

I would like to do another conversion, and I wanted a black one, but I am not sure if the vent holes will look ok on a Fedora. If I do convert it, I am probably going to stay with the braded hatband, so maybe the vent holes will look ok. We will see.

A conversion retaining the braided band is going to look informal/casual enough that the vents will look just right. It’s not like plenty of fedoras’ don’t sport ‘em. Can’t wait to see some pix! Good luck. A braver man than I.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
That is perplexing! It looks great. The only tiny thing might be a moth nibble visible in the last 2 photos, and maybe a light spot on the ribbon. Is that red string on the inside the original price tag holder? Pristine sweat, too. Had I seen that one, you'd have had more competition! Nice score.
:D I dodged a bullet, then!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, that's a new one on me. I'm hoping it means that it's a collector's item.

Considering very few Cavart Edges ever come up for auction, you got a great deal. A Cavart Edge is a poor man's Cavanagh Edge, meaning it's a glued-down overwelt, rather than stitched. It was a way to try to cut down on the cost of hats in the late-'60s. Not as coveted as a Cavanagh Edge hat, which might explain the price, but it's also fairly rare. Congratulations!

Brad

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Considering very few Cavart Edges ever come up for auction, you got a great deal. A Cavart Edge is a poor man's Cavanagh Edge, meaning it's a glued-down overwelt, rather than stitched. It was a way to try to cut down on the cost of hats in the late-'60s. Not as coveted as a Cavanagh Edge hat, which might explain the price, but it's also fairly rare. Congratulations!

Brad
That's interesting, Brad, thanks for that info.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I just won this hat on Ebay, much to my shock, for $71.00. Since no one else was bidding against me, I have to wonder, is something wrong with this hat? What am I missing? I thought it would go for a couple of hundred.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...34750&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_5563wt_1141

You know what? The other almost-bidders were simply pulling you leg, that's all. They knew they were making you nervous by letting you have this hat for what you've paid. Conspiracy warning...! ;)

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
not mine
metalblock.jpg

metalblock1.jpg

SteveAS

Practically Family
I won this Mallory Twenty over the weekend. It's hard to tell whether it's in decent condition, but I like the Mallory Tens from the same era, so I imagine the hat is (at least was) quite nice. Time will tell . . .

$(KGrHqJ,!iIE2KSUm47)BNn67(g(qg~~0_3.JPG

SteveAS

Practically Family
Thanks, Rodkins.

I was surprised to win this Penn-Craft at its opening bid. Where were Alan and Josh to save me from buying a style with which I haven't yet been comfortable?! :eusa_doh: [huh] :D

$(KGrHqYOKkIE1q2cgf!-BNpecHlfhQ~~0_3.JPG

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I won this Mallory Twenty over the weekend. It's hard to tell whether it's in decent condition, but I like the Mallory Tens from the same era, so I imagine the hat is (at least was) quite nice. Time will tell . . .

$(KGrHqJ,!iIE2KSUm47)BNn67(g(qg~~0_3.JPG

I was looking at that one, and it looked extremely nice. I was going to bid, but was at a family function and totally forgot to log into ebay that day. CONGRATS, Steve! I hope you post lots of pics.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Rodkins.

I was surprised to win this Penn-Craft at its opening bid. Where were Alan and Josh to save me from buying a style with which I haven't yet been comfortable?! :eusa_doh: [huh] :D

$(KGrHqYOKkIE1q2cgf!-BNpecHlfhQ~~0_3.JPG

Sorry, I totally missed this one. Been really busy the last week or so, but dont worry, I am watching a couple goodies right now.....:whistling

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the confirmation SteveAS and Hatophile. I saw it shortly after it was listed as a buy it now and figured it would be worth checking out at the price.

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland